Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How many of you are having charging/battery problems ie your car not holding a charge for 3 days to 3 weeks without charging. It seems to be very wide spread thru the Mustang GT, Shelby GT and GT 500. Both my GT 500's are that way and my local dealer has 2 other GT 500's and 2 Shelby GT's with the problem. As I started checking around with owners I have found a lot with the problem and have "solved" the problem with a trickle charger. SAI says a lot of cars they get need jumped but haven't reported it to Ford. If you have to leave a trickle charger on your car, then you haven't "solved" the problem, you have just learned to live with it. Any new vehicle should be able to sit for months and fire rite off when need to. If you are having this problem, please let your servicing Ford dealer know, because without enough reports thru dealers, Ford will not see it as a problem worth addressing. By the way, the dealers here have not found a problem that meets waranty guidlines, ie nothing shows a problem on what they are allowed to check. Thanks

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
How many of you are having charging/battery problems ie your car not holding a charge for 3 days to 3 weeks without charging. It seems to be very wide spread thru the Mustang GT, Shelby GT and GT 500. Both my GT 500's are that way and my local dealer has 2 other GT 500's and 2 Shelby GT's with the problem. As I started checking around with owners I have found a lot with the problem and have "solved" the problem with a trickle charger. SAI says a lot of cars they get need jumped but haven't reported it to Ford. If you have to leave a trickle charger on your car, then you haven't "solved" the problem, you have just learned to live with it. Any new vehicle should be able to sit for months and fire rite off when need to. If you are having this problem, please let your servicing Ford dealer know, because without enough reports thru dealers, Ford will not see it as a problem worth addressing. By the way, the dealers here have not found a problem that meets waranty guidlines, ie nothing shows a problem on what they are allowed to check. Thanks
When the car is sitting, there are still many systems running that will drain the battery after a couple weeks. That's the way the car was designed. Bad design? Yes. Warranty issue? No.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have TSB 07-5-13 which covers some of this issue. It explains the issue after 30 days of sitting without a charge but not less than 30 days. My cars and several others I've spoken with will not hold a charge over 2or 3 days, yet the test procedure that Ford requires the dealer to use will show nothing wrong with the battery. I was surprised to read in this bullitin that it takes 2 hours at 1500 RPM of engine running time to bring a battery up to full charge so a 15/20 minute monthley run is not doing anything for battery mainentance of a car in storage. I still don't think it's right but sounds like I'll have to live with it.:( :(

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I have TSB 07-5-13 which covers some of this issue. It explains the issue after 30 days of sitting without a charge but not less than 30 days. My cars and several others I've spoken with will not hold a charge over 2or 3 days, yet the test procedure that Ford requires the dealer to use will show nothing wrong with the battery. I was surprised to read in this bullitin that it takes 2 hours at 1500 RPM of engine running time to bring a battery up to full charge so a 15/20 minute monthley run is not doing anything for battery mainentance of a car in storage. I still don't think it's right but sounds like I'll have to live with it.:( :(
2-3 days doesn't sound right. I've let mine sit for over a week and it started up just fine. Your battery either isn't hlding a charge or your car isn't charging correctly.

I recommend taking your battery (and alternator) to your local auto parts store or mechanic and have them put a load test on it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I let mine sit for 3 weeks, dead as a door nail. I suspect that my little 1 hour drives every 2 weeks does not charge the battery.

I am going to be adding some battery tenders to a few cars in my garage.;)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I am going to be adding some battery tenders to a few cars in my garage.;)

With your collection, you'll need to add another 100amp service panel to handle all those chargers!

·
Registered
164 Posts
2-3 days doesn't sound right. I've let mine sit for over a week and it started up just fine. Your battery either isn't hlding a charge or your car isn't charging correctly.

I recommend taking your battery (and alternator) to your local auto parts store or mechanic and have them put a load test on it.
Mine will sit for 4 to 6 weeks at a time. Never has failed to start. Warranty Issue. No biggie, unless you have added a High Performance, High Output battery for more power which might void your warranty unless you and your Dealer service manager have a good relationship ! KIDDING. Warranty is such a LARGE TOPIC ! Take it to dealer, a drain some where.

ILLEGAL

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I need to find out where you get all those cool smileys. Is business a little slow?
The smilies are in my secret stash.... I might share them in exchange for a ride (or being able to drive????) the GT?!?!

Business is very good... just not much travel right now. Trying to stay home more for Deb.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Mine will sit for 4 to 6 weeks at a time. Never has failed to start. Warranty Issue. No biggie, unless you have added a High Performance, High Output battery for more power which might void your warranty unless you and your Dealer service manager have a good relationship ! KIDDING. Warranty is such a LARGE TOPIC ! Take it to dealer, a drain some where.

ILLEGAL

Yours is an exception to the rule on these new Mustangs.Most will not start after 3 weeks of sitting.2 to 3 days, that's an issue.Once the battery goes dead it won't charge 100%.These alternators leave a little to be desired.They are not very efficient.It usually is the battery,alternator or the stereo computer,especially if you have the shaker 1000.Wait,those are on material hold.;)

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yours is an exception to the rule on these new Mustangs.Most will not start after 3 weeks of sitting.2 to 3 days, that's an issue.Once the battery goes dead it won't charge 100%.These alternators leave a little to be desired.They are not very efficient.It usually is the battery,alternator or the stereo computer,especially if you have the shaker 1000.Wait,those are on material hold.;)
In the TSB I referenced, (TSB 07-5-13), Ford explains all this and admits there is a problem but says it is NOT a warantable problem?? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
In the TSB I referenced, (TSB 07-5-13), Ford explains all this and admits there is a problem but says it is NOT a warantable problem?? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
That doesn't make any sense. Issue a TSB and then say it's not our problem? Have you tried going to a different dealer?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I know some guys that have bought "Battery Tenders" at Griot's Garage and are working great for long term storage.

I try to run mine for a bit in the garage when I'm home and haven't had any problems so far, but may invest in one.

BatteryTenderIII

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
A little embarassed to report this one, but after almost a year on a trickle charge I was having problems after three days. Dead battery and two charges later decided to check fluid levels. Three pints later, what can I say other than hope I did not cook her beyond use. After all it is only a battery, and believe you me, these batteries suck big time!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've replaced my oe Motorcraft Battery (which kept dying on me and had a dead short) with a DELCO battery and havent had a problem yet and the car sits sometimes for weeks without starting....

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I know some guys that have bought "Battery Tenders" at Griot's Garage and are working great for long term storage.

I try to run mine for a bit in the garage when I'm home and haven't had any problems so far, but may invest in one.

BatteryTenderIII

Running it in the garage will not do any good. See line item #6.

I would post the PDF file here, but this sites server capacity will not allow a 1 page PDF file on this TSB.

Here's the linky to the info and PDF.
http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29258&hl=

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have gone 5 weeks without a start up, then started instantaniously. So, in order to throw some cold cranking amps/cold cranking volts ,drive it like you stole it. The Shelby needs a charge more than the battery.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.