Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a new (and proud) owner of ford's best product to date...I have checked over some threads relating to modifications and the effect they have on your warranty...I am interested to get some feedback on what you guys think is a logical approach to making the most improvement through modifications to the car while not comprimising the warranty...I am especially interested in gaining some sound and of course power from the car i.e. intake, headers, exhaust systems that will be emissions compliant...Thanks for the input!

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Ford can tell you that anything you do to modify the car can and will void part or all of the warranty. Then they will have to proove whatever you did or changed led to the problem. Now a days (Ford is now more reluctant to turn thier head when we mod our cars due to high service costs and loss of revenue) that might be a stinky fight that will leave you without your car, in the shop or in your garage-not working, and you trying to find a lawyer to take your case and not all your money. My personal decision rght now is to do mods that are reversable in case of a catastrophy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yea unfortunately I guess it is just a sign of the times in the automotive industry. :ack: It obviously makes sense to modify the car in ways that can be reversed in case I have to deal with the dealership again-which wasn't a blast so far. So what are some mods that would be reversible? Obviously a different tune-like the one included with the FRPP CAI, but what else? How is the sound from the exhaust that you have installed on yours? Also what are the benefits of changing the UCA and LCA? Thanks for the input...

·
Registered
97 Posts
While they have to prove it, you would have to hire legal representation to dispute it and most don't have the $ to do that. If you decide to mod, you should be prepared to fix it. Reversing and trying to get one over isn't really ethical but to each their own.

·
Registered
63 Posts
just top of my head only these 4 items from ford racing can retain the full 5 year powertrain warranty. power pack, suspension pack, frpp cai & short throw shifter. however, according to the rules, these have to be installed by a ford dealership and documented. now the superchrager pack upgrade from frpp will reduce ur entire warranty to 12 month and 12,000 miles.

as for other aftermarket mods in factory warranty issues, i refer you to the Magnuson-Moss act.

http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

·
Registered
44 Posts
A CAI will probably void the powertrain warranty! My service manager said put it back to stock and do not tell me about it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you change the calibration with a "tune," and you kill the engine...why should the factory warranty cover it? I feel like you're on your own. And they certainly could look at the PCM and see if had been changed...if they wanted to go through the trouble.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
As others have said, anything can potentially void part of your warranty. If it didn't come on the car from the showroom floor and it caused the failure, you're on your own. Some dealers are cooler than others and may let small mods slide, but be prepared to take some or all of repair expenses if you mod your car.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Don't get all overly scared by reading horror stories on the internet.

Here is the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act directly from the FTC's home page.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.shtm

If you install for example, a catback, CAI, tune and your clutch goes out... it will still be fixed under warranty because your mods had no effect on the damaged or defective part. Might you have to fight it? Yes, but the law is on your side.

Now if you throw a bad tune on your car, it runs lean and blows... you're screwed because your mod was a direct result of the failure.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Good info!!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts