Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
You and I must be long lost brothers! I, too, have lower back issues and have to "watch" what I do so to speak. I'm debating Recaros or base seats like you. I can tell you from sitting in the passenger seat at Track Attack you aren't going anywhere -- you are pretty well locked in -- which is great for track work and spirited runs on twisty roads. The hip/leg bolster is pretty stout/high so getting in and out was a bit challenging but not overly so. I did not come away thinking the Recaro was in any way uncomfortable, but I honestly did not get enough time in the seat to make a true assessment. I like to run up to the north GA mountains (and beyond!) to run the mountain twisties and typically spend many hours in the seat so long-term comfort is important to me, but so is feeling secure. Plus, I plan on driving it daily in ATL commuting traffic when/if life gets back to normal. Oh, and I should say I'm 6'3" 200lbs.
Fletch, don't discount the Recaros just because of the back issues. My wife's back has some minor issues, but she claims that the Recaro's in my GT350 are the most comfortable seats in any of the vehicles we've ever owned in regards to the support they provide.

Reactions: fletchffletch

·
Super Moderator
5,518 Posts
Fletch, don't discount the Recaros just because of the back issues. My wife's back has some minor issues, but she claims that the Recaro's in my GT350 are the most comfortable seats in any of the vehicles we've ever owned in regards to the support they provide.
Yep, I've been wondering that very thing. I want to go sit in some 2020 Recaros to make sure.

·
Premium Member
5,309 Posts
Yep, I've been wondering that very thing. I want to go sit in some 2020 Recaros to make sure.
I loved the Recaro in my 2012 GT500...just not the easiest to get in/out trying not to SCRUB the bolsters.
For long trips they were very comfortable 😀

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,248 Posts
I loved the Recaro in my 2012 GT500...just not the easiest to get in/out trying not to SCRUB the bolsters.
For long trips they were very comfortable 😀
The Recaros in the 2020 are even more of a challenge to get in/out. The thigh bolster, or as I call them: “the boys snagger,” is quite high!

·
Registered
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
39 Posts
My car is, and was always planned to be, a daily driver. I've never tracked a car before, although this thing is so track worthy I'll likely do it at some point.
There's less rear leg room than my '13 GT, so I haven't put anyone in the back, but it's nice to have the choice. I also wanted to have the pass-thru from the trunk for longer items. At one point in my life I taught Karate (hopefully I'll get back to that at some point), and bo staffs just don't fit without that 😁

So for me, comfort seats were a no-brainer.

I think that's the biggest thing... what do you want to do with the car.
I'm going to have to switch to all-season tires, at least for a portion of the year. But if this was a summer-only fun car I could avoid that.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,248 Posts
At one point in my life I taught Karate (hopefully I'll get back to that at some point), and bo staffs just don't fit without that 😁
Awesome! I teach American Karate. I never got into bo staffs though. You could probably still put them in the cabin of the car with one end in the passenger foot well and the other end up by the rear window.

·
Registered
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
39 Posts
Awesome! I teach American Karate. I never got into bo staffs though. You could probably still put them in the cabin of the car with one end in the passenger foot well and the other end up by the rear window.
Ours is Okinawan. Yeah I did that sometimes in my '13 but I found it was just easier passing it through at an angle.

I've heard stories that insurance is cheaper on four-seaters vs not having a back seat, but my insurance never asked, so I don't think that's real (at least not within the same models).

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Ours is Okinawan. Yeah I did that sometimes in my '13 but I found it was just easier passing it through at an angle.

I've heard stories that insurance is cheaper on four-seaters vs not having a back seat, but my insurance never asked, so I don't think that's real (at least not within the same models).
Any more the actuaries that develop the insurance underwriting models know the exact specifications of the models as they arrive so there's very little they need to ask you aside from the amount of miles you'll be driving.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I currently own a Golden Ticket, non double. This car blows the base GT500 w/ handling pack away. How do I know? I owned a Handling Pack as well.
Overall dynamics are different, for the better. The track-pack out of corners V the handling pack, dudeeeee. As Goose said, “ reduced road noise w/ the Carbon Fiber wheels.”
In my personal opinion, the reduced road noise alone is worth the additional expense.
The Golden Ticket is a fighter who went down 3 weight classes.

·
Registered
102 Posts

My insurance did not change.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,248 Posts
I currently own a Golden Ticket, non double. This car blows the base GT500 w/ handling pack away. How do I know? I owned a Handling Pack as well.
Overall dynamics are different, for the better. The track-pack out of corners V the handling pack, dudeeeee. As Goose said, “ reduced road noise w/ the Carbon Fiber wheels.”
In my personal opinion, the reduced road noise alone is worth the additional expense.
The Golden Ticket is a fighter who went down 3 weight classes.
Please put your vehicle info in your profile so it shows under your screen name. This seriously helps here since we cover so many different years and options. You can do that by clicking your upper right avatar/account settings/vehicle details.

·
Super Moderator
5,518 Posts
You guys are making me want to at least upgrade to the CFHP, I just know those wheels will get blown up by the pothole kingdom of MN.
In one of Tim's ( @Goose17 ) videos on the CFTP order process and pick up, he shows how much the wheel and tire insurance was that he paid. If I recall, it was 96 months for roughly $900. I was surprised -- that is pretty darn cost effective insurance! Maybe that's the solution (and your excuse!) for you to go whole hog and get the CFTP!!! :p :p :p

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
On order 2021 GT500 Base, RR
132 Posts
In one of Tim's ( @Goose17 ) videos on the CFTP order process and pick up, he shows how much the wheel and tire insurance was that he paid. If I recall, it was 96 months for roughly $900. I was surprised -- that is pretty darn cost effective insurance! Maybe that's the solution (and your excuse!) for you to go whole hog and get the CFTP!!! :p :p :p
I would have gone with the CFTP, but I am to large of a fella for the Recaro seats

I’m gonna stick to the plan and order a set of wheels. I want to switch the style up away from the black rims.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts