Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Red Super Snake, 2019 Mustang GT
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, long time member, infrequent poster.

I have a few questions about the real world driving differences between the base and CFTP equipped cars. Is it worth the upgrade and cost? Is the CFTP car too much for just around town and short trips? I haven’t been to a track day in over 8 years but would like to hit some in the future if possible. Even then it’s probably once or maybe twice a year at most. Pot holes with carbon fiber wheels are a concern for me as I’m in California and roads suck here for the most part. But I’ve never messed up a rim or tire on my 08 super snake. Yet...

My dealer has 4 GT500’s in stock right now and I’m going down tomorrow to sit in them and feel the difference between the seats. Anyway it wouldn’t be a daily driver or anything like that. But definitely not a garage queen either. Not that there’s anything wrong with that but I’d personally rather make memories driving the car than staring at it in the garage.

Anyway, guess that sums it up. I’m just wondering if the cost is worth it and if anyone has any insight on differences that I haven’t read about on here that are noteworthy.

Also, if anyone else is in the market for a 2020, They have 2 CFTP white, 1 CFTP performance blue and one rapid red base. I can forward the contact info if anyone is interested.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,407 Posts

I have a few questions about the real world driving differences between the base and CFTP equipped cars. Is it worth the upgrade and cost? Is the CFTP car too much for just around town and short trips? I haven’t been to a track day in over 8 years but would like to hit some in the future if possible. Even then it’s probably once or maybe twice a year at most. Pot holes with carbon fiber wheels are a concern for me as I’m in California and roads suck here for the most part. But I’ve never messed up a rim or tire on my 08 super snake. Yet...

My dealer has 4 GT500’s in stock right now and I’m going down tomorrow to sit in them and feel the difference between the seats. Anyway it wouldn’t be a daily driver or anything like that. But definitely not a garage queen either. Not that there’s anything wrong with that but I’d personally rather make memories driving the car than staring at it in the garage.

Anyway, guess that sums it up. I’m just wondering if the cost is worth it and if anyone has any insight on differences that I haven’t read about on here that are noteworthy.

Also, if anyone else is in the market for a 2020, They have 2 CFTP white, 1 CFTP performance blue and one rapid red base. I can forward the contact info if anyone is interested.
Ironically, I am currently working on a CFTP review video and talking about how it compares to the base model. A couple of points... I had a base model for 7 months that I sold for my CFTP. The base model is a “10!” It’s a HOME RUN! Simply put, the car will blow your mind! The CFTP takes it up a notch to “11!” Is it worth the price difference? Hell yes it is! (to me)

What I noticed right off: I drove my base model mostly in Track Mode. The CFTP is a stiffer ride, so I find myself more in My Mode, which I have based on Sport Mode, but with normal magneride. When the roads are smoother and I want to get crazy with the car, I switch to Track Mode and let it RIIIIIP!

The CFTP is only 100 pounds lighter than the base, but it feels quite lighter. The lightweight wheels transform how the car feels and behaves. Coupled with the lower/stiffer suspension and the grippier tires, the car feels quite a bit more nimble than the base model did. The CF wheels also don’t transmit road noises up into the car like aluminum wheels do.

I have been to the track with both base models and CFTP cars. The base model is a track BEAST! The CFTP is next level insane! Both cars leave you with a smile on your face, but the CFTP is just “more!”

The CFTP is to the base what the GT350R is to the GT350. Plenty of happy owners of both, but the R and the CFTP are just “more.”

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Goose. I think that sums it up nicely. It’s amazing what loosing some unsprung weight will do for a car. I have Griggs suspension on my ‘08 and it’s nice and tight but definitely not plush. It’s amazing the difference between that and my ‘19 with independent rear suspension and magneride setup.

I have watched a good number of your videos and look forward to your comparison one. Very well put together and informative.

Who doesn’t like more in their car. I know I do.

·
Super Moderator
5,541 Posts

Good questions. I'm debating the same thing, though I believe the base is the right model for me. I'm very much like you in regards to concern re: cf wheels and potholes here in ATL. And mine would be a driver, not a garage queen. Additionally, like you, I'd like to track as well, but infrequently. I was w/ Goose at Track Attack as a guest, and even as guest (non-driver), watching them all use base models and the ride along w/ the professional at the end, I think there is high probability I will never experience 10/10ths at a track and be able to take advantage of everything a base has, let a alone a CFTP. Short story -- the base is most likely more than enough for me!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good questions. I'm debating the same thing, though I believe the base is the right model for me. I'm very much like you in regards to concern re: cf wheels and potholes here in ATL. And mine would be a driver, not a garage queen. Additionally, like you, I'd like to track as well, but infrequently. I was w/ Goose at Track Attack as a guest, and even as guest (non-driver), watching them all use base models and the ride along w/ the professional at the end, I think there is high probability I will never experience 10/10ths at a track and be able to take advantage of everything a base has, let a alone a CFTP. Short story -- the base is most likely more than enough for me!
The base model makes total sense. The CFTP is more of a want than need. I just don’t want to regret it down the road because it’s one and done for me. I have to admit that the track pack just has that little extra that, performance wise, I’ll probably never get close to using, but it’s nice to know it’s there. I’m sure the tires make up the biggest difference but that wing doesn’t hurt.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,407 Posts
The base model makes total sense. The CFTP is more of a want than need. I just don’t want to regret it down the road because it’s one and done for me. I have to admit that the track pack just has that little extra that, performance wise, I’ll probably never get close to using, but it’s nice to know it’s there. I’m sure the tires make up the biggest difference but that wing doesn’t hurt.
The lightweight (and stiff) wheels make a bigger difference than you’d think.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The lightweight (and stiff) wheels make a bigger difference than you’d think.
I am sure they make a big difference.

How is the difference in the seats? How comfortable or uncomfortable are the Recaros? I have a bad lower back and wonder how uncomfortable they would be. Not so much on long trips as those would be few and far between, but on everyday around town stuff or in the heat?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,407 Posts

How is the difference in the seats? How comfortable or uncomfortable are the Recaros? I have a bad lower back and wonder how uncomfortable they would be. Not so much on long trips as those would be few and far between, but on everyday around town stuff or in the heat?
Both of my cars have had Recaros... I love them! I did take my base model for a few hour road trip and I recall thinking standard seats would have been more comfy for the cruise. I also drove a friend’s base with standard seats on a Mustang road trip cruise... they are definitely better if you are going to be sitting in the seat for hours. I wouldn’t trade my Recaros for standard seats though. I like how they look and fit. My car comes out for fun and the Recaros are more fun!

Reactions: fletchffletch

·
Super Moderator
5,541 Posts

You and I must be long lost brothers! I, too, have lower back issues and have to "watch" what I do so to speak. I'm debating Recaros or base seats like you. I can tell you from sitting in the passenger seat at Track Attack you aren't going anywhere -- you are pretty well locked in -- which is great for track work and spirited runs on twisty roads. The hip/leg bolster is pretty stout/high so getting in and out was a bit challenging but not overly so. I did not come away thinking the Recaro was in any way uncomfortable, but I honestly did not get enough time in the seat to make a true assessment. I like to run up to the north GA mountains (and beyond!) to run the mountain twisties and typically spend many hours in the seat so long-term comfort is important to me, but so is feeling secure. Plus, I plan on driving it daily in ATL commuting traffic when/if life gets back to normal. Oh, and I should say I'm 6'3" 200lbs.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Both of my cars have had Recaros... I love them! I did take my base model for a few hour road trip and I recall thinking standard seats would have been more comfy for the cruise. I also drove a friend’s base with standard seats on a Mustang road trip cruise... they are definitely better if you are going to be sitting in the seat for hours. I wouldn’t trade my Recaros for standard seats though. I like how they look and fit. My car comes out for fun and the Recaros are more fun!
Without a doubt I prefer the look of the Recaros. Thanks for the feedback.

You and I must be long lost brothers! I, too, have lower back issues and have to "watch" what I do so to speak. I'm debating Recaros or base seats like you. I can tell you from sitting in the passenger seat at Track Attack you aren't going anywhere -- you are pretty well locked in -- which is great for track work and spirited runs on twisty roads. The hip/leg bolster is pretty stout/high so getting in and out was a bit challenging but not overly so. I did not come away thinking the Recaro was in any way uncomfortable, but I honestly did not get enough time in the seat to make a true assessment. I like to run up to the north GA mountains (and beyond!) to run the mountain twisties and typically spend many hours in the seat so long-term comfort is important to me, but so is feeling secure. Plus, I plan on driving it daily in ATL commuting traffic when/if life gets back to normal. Oh, and I should say I'm 6'3" 200lbs.
Thank you. That’s some good info. I’m 5’10“ 185 so fitting shouldn’t be a problem. It’s getting in and out and seeing how they feel when in them that presents a challenge. I’d hate to be miserable with the sitting position. Back issues suck! I’m going down to the dealer later this afternoon to kick some tires and see how they feel.

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Rapid Red Base model
98 Posts
I have a base model with standard seats. I have no plans on tracking my car, although I am registered for the Track Attack in April. My concern was the cost of the wheels and my concern with damaging them on some of the SC roads. I had a 2011 with Shelby forged wheels and that was always in the back of my mind. I only have 2000 miles on my car, but the seats are reasonably comfortable for someone that is overweight (5’9” 215). I also wanted a backseat.

·
Registered
On order 2021 GT500 Base, RR
137 Posts
I went with a base model because of the Recaro seats. I desperately wanted the CFTP and could have ordered it, just no way I could get used to those seats (I’m 6’1 260) I also have really broad shoulders. I’m going to change the rims out to a set of Signature wheels and am considering a second truck lid with a carbon wing replica from ff out of Arizona.

Judging by your size you should be good to go! Get what you want, and don’t regret a thing. The hardest part will be selecting a color and the waiting time

·
Super Moderator
5,541 Posts
Without a doubt I prefer the look of the Recaros. Thanks for the feedback.

Thank you. That’s some good info. I’m 5’10“ 185 so fitting shouldn’t be a problem. It’s getting in and out and seeing how they feel when in them that presents a challenge. I’d hate to be miserable with the sitting position. Back issues suck! I’m going down to the dealer later this afternoon to kick some tires and see how they feel.
Amen -- back issues definitely blow.

Alright, stop it ;) -- I went to a dealer this morning to do some "research" and sit in some seats as well! They were base seats and they fit me very well -- pretty well decided base seats are what I want. Dealer only had one GT500 (surprise, surprise) so wasn't able to do a back-to-back Recaro vs. base comparison.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Amen -- back issues definitely blow.

Alright, stop it ;) -- I went to a dealer this morning to do some "research" and sit in some seats as well! They were base seats and they fit me very well -- pretty well decided base seats are what I want. Dealer only had one GT500 (surprise, surprise) so wasn't able to do a back-to-back Recaro vs. base comparison.
Well went down and sat in the Recaros myself. Fit fine. Snug like they should be but not uncomfortable at all, which what I was afraid of. No issues getting in and out with them either. The base seats are definitely more comfortable as you’d expect. My sales guy was busy so he will give me a call later to discuss. They don’t have the color combo I want so I would have to order one. Don’t know what kind of deal he’s able to offer but I will find out in the next few days.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,407 Posts
I would go base model if you plan to mod the car or drive it frequently. CFTP if it’s a weekend toy, don’t plan to transport any family, or won’t mod it much.
I would agree with this assessment. A base model would be a better daily commuter car.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would go base model if you plan to mod the car or drive it frequently. CFTP if it’s a weekend toy, don’t plan to transport any family, or won’t mod it much.
I agree. My kids are all grown. I haven’t had a back seat passenger in my SS in years. I have a F150 that will be used for commuting etc. I won’t be modding this one much. I’m in California and the stuff is super restricted here. I looked into getting a JLT cold air and they won’t even ship it here. I’m sure there’s some stuff I could do that would be hard to detect like porting the supercharger.

I would agree with this assessment. A base model would be a better daily commuter car.
Between the seats, lower and no back seats I would have to agree. Much easier to live with on the daily.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 PP
539 Posts
I have a 14 and lower back problems. I ordered my car and did base seats. Those of you with back issues will understand this comment. One of the reasons I went base was the much smaller and more pliable lower seat bolster. When I sit down I turn sideways standing next to the car and sit back into the seat. Then once seated I lift my legs in and rotate in the seat. I wouldn't be able to do this in a Recaro. If I sat down like most normally do by putting your right leg in and then sitting down I would kill my back due to the twisting.

Tom

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,407 Posts
One thing worth mentioning between my leather base seats in my 2011 and my fabric Recaro seats in my 2020... I’ve had to move the Shelbys around a handful of times in the garage... I’ll pull one out and then get the other out and swap positions in the garage. Doing this, I have sat in both cars back-to-back quite a few times. When I go from the 2020 to the 2011, the base seats in the 2011 feel like a hard park bench. They are not soft/forgiving. The 2020 seats are much softer. I don’t notice this just getting in my 2011 and going for a drive, but sitting in the two seats back to back makes the difference quite obvious.

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,901 Posts
I have a 14 and lower back problems. I ordered my car and did base seats. Those of you with back issues will understand this comment. One of the reasons I went base was the much smaller and more pliable lower seat bolster. When I sit down I turn sideways standing next to the car and sit back into the seat. Then once seated I lift my legs in and rotate in the seat. I wouldn't be able to do this in a Recaro. If I sat down like most normally do by putting your right leg in and then sitting down I would kill my back due to the twisting.

Tom
Good point Tom, and sometimes sitting in a seat for a relatively short time can feel ok. However, bad lower back problems can growl after a while of sitting without quite enough lower back support. When I test drove a 2012 with Recaros, I didn't feel the lower back support was quite good enough. Now newer Recaros may be better of course, but that was my experience for those with lower back problems. My wife also complained about the seats putting too much pressure on the backs of her legs.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts