Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for comments on the optional sound system, vs the stock 9 speaker setup. I am sure the B&O sounds great and navigation would be nice but with google maps on my phone don't need it. I am more interested in listening to the motor! Thanks in advance

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
33,028 Posts
I ordered the option ($3k). I can let you know in the next week or two when I get it.

I have been underwhelmed by the music systems in my Ford vehicles since the amazing Mach 1000 in my old 2002 Mustang GT. That system ROCKED! All others have been less than stellar.

Reactions: TRT GT500

·
Premium Member
6,624 Posts
I concur that Ford systems (recently) have really been disappointing. The stereo in my 2011 GT500 is absolute garbage. Contrasted against the "Audiophile" system I had in my 2005 F150 that absolutely ROCKED!

If I were ordering a new GT500, I wouldn't even blink at spending the extra $3K for proper tunes. And having Google maps on your phone is absolutely not a substitution for having the large-screen map on-cue.. Even though Google Navigation is extremely convenient (and I use it a ton), it's no substitute to having a large map at eye-level at-the-ready when I'm driving.

It's an $80K car... To forgo the Navigation would be like ordering a Cadillac with manual-crank windows. I cheaped-out on the Nav on my $92K Carrera S back in 2005, and I've never quit laughing at myself since (considering I still have the car). ;)

·
Registered
2013 GT500 and 2020 GT500
3,740 Posts
I was on the fence, then I saw that the Tech Package came with Cobra Puddle Lamps, that sealed the deal.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,087 Posts
I concur that Ford systems (recently) have really been disappointing. The stereo in my 2011 GT500 is absolute garbage. Contrasted against the "Audiophile" system I had in my 2005 F150 that absolutely ROCKED!

If I were ordering a new GT500, I wouldn't even blink at spending the extra $3K for proper tunes. And having Google maps on your phone is absolutely not a substitution for having the large-screen map on-cue.. Even though Google Navigation is extremely convenient (and I use it a ton), it's no substitute to having a large map at eye-level at-the-ready when I'm driving.

It's an $80K car... To forgo the Navigation would be like ordering a Cadillac with manual-crank windows. I cheaped-out on the Nav on my $92K Carrera S back in 2005, and I've never quit laughing at myself since (considering I still have the car). ;)
Same here. Still kicking myself for not getting the nav in mine. Should have an OEM unit in my possession soon. Hoping to install over the Christmas holiday.

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,419 Posts
I agree with Boss. The Sony system I've got in my2015 F-150 is worlds above any factory unit I had in a vehicle to date. Only problem I have with the NAV is it doesn't always understand my "cajun" accent. That and the accountant in me always says Zero for the nil integer, and NAV only understands Oh. That's a hard habit to break.

·
Premium Member
6,624 Posts
I agree with Boss. The Sony system I've got in my2015 F-150 is worlds above any factory unit I had in a vehicle to date. Only problem I have with the NAV is it doesn't always understand my "cajun" accent. That and the accountant in me always says Zero for the nil integer, and NAV only understands Oh. That's a hard habit to break.
Just imagine how frustrated Jethro Bodine is when trying to voice-navigate in his GT5-naught-naught...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Great point! My 2014 had the Shaker audio and it sounded great, sure this will be more of the same. Thanks for the suggestion, my bad for being cheap. lol...

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,675 Posts
The B&O is worth every penny. I was on the fence too but was really glad I added to the option must have list. I have friend that use to do professional car stereo competitions tell me the B&O has to be the best factory installed system he's heard.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I was reluctant to check off the box on the Tech Package, I was a little butt hurt that it costs $1000 more than the same package on a GT350. I finally decided to go for it because as I get older, I need all the help I can get and the BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-Traffic Alert will help with cross traffic problems. I have a couple of intersections in my area that are problematic, 2 lane road, intersection in the middle of a turn and cars parked on the side of the road blocking the view from both sides. If this system keeps me from making a serious misjudgment, it will be worth every penny. The Nav is also a nice add-on, hopefully it will be able to pronounce the names of the roads better than my old Garmin GPS and I don't have to look at the passenger seat verify the street name.

I didn't get the Tech Package when I ordered my 2013 GT500 because I was only interested in the PP & TP options and I wasn't a fan of having to spend over a $100 for map upgrades. Are these still required with the new NAV?

2020 Mustang Brochure.pdf

Attachments

Reactions: Jiggs and Goose17

·
Premium Member
6,624 Posts
I didn't get the Tech Package when I ordered my 2013 GT500 because I was only interested in the PP & TP options and I wasn't a fan of having to spend over a $100 for map upgrades. Are these still required with the new NAV?

2020 Mustang Brochure.pdf
I wouldn't know, I'm still rockin' the map-program that my car was delivered with in 2011! LOL.... Seems to still get me around, and out of trouble, just fine ;)

Reactions: Snoopy49

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,028 Posts
Nav in cars get outdated in somewhat short order while phones and pads stay updated. I opted for the tech upgrade, not necessarily for the nav, but more for the stereo, screen and other goodies that Earl mentioned above. My wife’s Tahoe is our only vehicle with nav... it is outdated and cumbersome.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Main reason I want it. I plan to install front and rear cameras. Mostly for parking but I’m planning to split the front video for recording.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,028 Posts
Main reason I want it. I plan to install front and rear cameras. Mostly for parking but I’m planning to split the front video for recording.
There already is a rear camera.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,028 Posts
Not on mine.
My bad Jon. I was on my small phone screen and thought it was the OP saying he wanted the upgraded audio to add cameras.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
It appears the new tech package doesn't have a DVD player, tell me it ain't so.

·
Premium Member
2013 Shelby GT500 performance white
613 Posts
From what I understand there’s a lot of 2019 vehicles that don’t even have a CD player.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,028 Posts
It appears the new tech package doesn't have a DVD player, tell me it ain't so.
From what I understand there’s a lot of 2019 vehicles that don’t even have a CD player.
Do you guys want a record player option too? ?

CDs & DVDs are soooo old school!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts