Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exhaust Manifold Studs!! If I ever meet the Genius that decided to put Studs in Every Hole in the Exhaust Manifolds, he is going to HAVE to Whop my Azz. Cuz if he don’t he will get his Whopped!! At least he did put a 3/16 nut on the end!

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Exhaust Manifold Studs!! If I ever meet the Genius that decided to put Studs in Every Hole in the Exhaust Manifolds, he is going to HAVE to Whop my Azz. Cuz if he don’t he will get his Whopped!! At least he did put a 3/16 nut on the end!

We must be having fun putting on headers.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Would have been nice if they would use antiseeze. Mentioned that to the mechanics at Romeo and they just shook their head in agreement but as far as I know they have not incorporated it into the build. It is going to be a bitch for those who decide to go with headers after some considerable mileage. Be sure to use antiseeze when installing the manifold bolts. The Bassani's come with bolts which replace the studs. I am not sure if that is the same with Kooks or the like.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Here is some food for thought. If you should install headers and at some point run into tranny problems, like some Shelby owners I know:rolleyes: , you will have to take off the passenger side header to remove and install the tranny. The bell housing on the tranny is too wide to pass through the 3" collectors on long tube headers.:eek: Headers are so much fun to install and some of us will do it more than once. With the Bassani's I should be able to undo tube 2 & 3 (as they are individual tubes) in order to create enough clearance to install the tranny.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hey Hey, had the shop to do mines. Didn't want to get dirty this time. O.K. I'll be honest, I was LAZY!!!!!!!!

flip

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Hey Hey, had the shop to do mines. Didn't want to get dirty this time. O.K. I'll be honest, I was LAZY!!!!!!!!

flip
The shop will be doing mine as well if I ever install headers. I don't have the patience that 07 has.:D

·
Registered
2,400 Posts

flip
The shop mechanic will never tell you about the three stripped studs that he just glued into you nice aluminum head.:eek: When you want something done right be sure to do it yourself, after all installing the mods is half the fun.;)

·
Registered
285 Posts
The shop mechanic will never tell you about the three stripped studs that he just glued into you nice aluminum head.:eek: When you want something done right be sure to do it yourself, after all installing the mods is half the fun.;)
Dang Joe. Now you have be wondering. I guess I'll have to break it all down and see for myself. Anyone want to come over and help? Hope they did me justice. Seriously though, you are correct. With my GNs I did it all and was proud of my knuckle banging work. I did have plenty of help though.

With this job I have now - I just couldn't find the time and wanted a "One Shot One Kill". I wanted to go fast "Immediately". I bet you've heard that one before, haven't you - LoL.:D

flip

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Dang Joe. Now you have be wondering. I guess I'll have to break it all down and see for myself. Anyone want to come over and help? Hope they did me justice. Seriously though, you are correct. With my GNs I did it all and was proud of my knuckle banging work. I did have plenty of help though.

With this job I have now - I just couldn't find the time and wanted a "One Shot One Kill". I wanted to go fast "Immediately". I bet you've heard that one before, haven't you - LoL.:D

flip
Sounds familiar. After all I consider gun control hitting what you aim at.:D :D All kidding aside, I am sure your installer did the right thing by you, I would just rather do it myself. If someone is going to screw it up I would rather it be me.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Sounds familiar. After all I consider gun control hitting what you aim at.:D :D All kidding aside, I am sure your installer did the right thing by you, I would just rather do it myself. If someone is going to screw it up I would rather it be me.
"Hitting what you aim at", that's a hoot! I would love to do all the work myself, too, Joe, but the older and more decrepit I get, the harder all that stuff becomes! It took me nearly a week to get my brake pads and LCAs on! And that was with tons of help from 07! 116 degree heat factor didn't help matters!

One of my Mustang club's has a guy that works on all cars, but is basically a Mustang guy, and I would trust him completely. If I ever get around to the UCA, he will get that job and probably the drive shaft. I still would like to do the panhard bar and brace myself, but may turn that over to him.

Getting old is tough! Something hurts all the time any more. Then there is the senility thing.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
"Hitting what you aim at", that's a hoot! I would love to do all the work myself, too, Joe, but the older and more decrepit I get, the harder all that stuff becomes! It took me nearly a week to get my brake pads and LCAs on! And that was with tons of help from 07! 116 degree heat factor didn't help matters!

One of my Mustang club's has a guy that works on all cars, but is basically a Mustang guy, and I would trust him completely. If I ever get around to the UCA, he will get that job and probably the drive shaft. I still would like to do the panhard bar and brace myself, but may turn that over to him.

Getting old is tough! Something hurts all the time any more. Then there is the senility thing.

Senility thing:eek: Where does that part go:D You aren't that old,what maybe 30 years older than me.That ain't bad,still driving Ms. Shelby.:D

·
Registered
2,400 Posts

Now Smitty you are not that old. After all you and I are the same age. You are only as old as you feel, but 116 degree heat can age anyone. I can appreciate not everyone wanting to do their own installs and the key is finding someone you trust and respect to do the job right. My problem is I have had too many bad experiences with mechanincs who profess to be experts only to find out differently the hard way, and besides I enjoy turning a wrench. Not to mention if not for the installation of a four post lift in my garage I may have taken a different approach. Good to hear from you and quoted your original post just in case you forgot.:D :D Oh and by the way I stole that quote from and old NRA beverage cooler I have.;)

·
Registered
888 Posts
Now Smitty you are not that old. After all you and I are the same age. You are only as old as you feel, but 116 degree heat can age anyone. I can appreciate not everyone wanting to do their own installs and the key is finding someone you trust and respect to do the job right. My problem is I have had too many bad experiences with mechanincs who profess to be experts only to find out differently the hard way, and besides I enjoy turning a wrench. Not to mention if not for the installation of a four post lift in my garage I may have taken a different approach. Good to hear from you and quoted your original post just in case you forgot.:D :D Oh and by the way I stole that quote from and old NRA beverage cooler I have.;)
Thanks for the quote! It helped, being that it has been over an hour since I wrote it! I sure understand the mechanic experience thing, not so much for me, but other family members have been taken for a ride here and there. The four post must be great to have! Floor jack and jack stands is what I have and out in the weather!

Fred, the senility thing is right next to the crotchety do-dad. Forward and toward the left side!

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Thanks for the quote! It helped, being that it has been over an hour since I wrote it! I sure understand the mechanic experience thing, not so much for me, but other family members have been taken for a ride here and there. The four post must be great to have! Floor jack and jack stands is what I have and out in the weather!

Fred, the senility thing is right next to the crotchety do-dad. Forward and toward the left side!

Yeh,yeh now I remember.It's tough when you have C.R.S.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts