Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Im new to this group. It looks like a lot of good info. I've had my 07 since last June.

I was wondering if anyone else has put an automatic transmission in their GT500. I see Evolution Performance has. I dont know which one they are using. Anyone know?
Im about half way through with mine. Im using the 4R70W with the Transgo kit. So far so good. Not much for big electrical changes either. It is a full manual shift setup with a switch for OD and lock-up. Fully streetable and it should be much more of a pleasure to drive and play with at the strip.
Im told by fbperformance.com it should handle upwards of 900 HP. I built the trans with the hardened stub shaft, red clutches, Precision Industries 2500 stall converter. I have to get a shaft made and put in the cooler and lines and some more wiring.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
You will have to post some Pic's. Welcome to the Site too.

How many miles were on your old tranny ?

Was it giving you troubles ?

Just curious ?

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Grabber,

Im going to be doing a blow by blow on my site soon with pics. I'll post when I do.
The 6 speed was still working like new when I took it out. No problems like the ones I've been reading about. I have about 3800 mi on it.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Welcome to the site WCA. Sounds like a lot of work . Obviously you must be planing to use the car for drag racing .I guess you'll have to modify the tunnel some as well ? Can't wait to see the final pics on the install.

George........

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Hello everyone. Im new to this group. It looks like a lot of good info. I've had my 07 since last June.

I was wondering if anyone else has put an automatic transmission in their GT500. I see Evolution Performance has. I dont know which one they are using. Anyone know?
Im about half way through with mine. Im using the 4R70W with the Transgo kit. So far so good. Not much for big electrical changes either. It is a full manual shift setup with a switch for OD and lock-up. Fully streetable and it should be much more of a pleasure to drive and play with at the strip.
Im told by fbperformance.com it should handle upwards of 900 HP. I built the trans with the hardened stub shaft, red clutches, Precision Industries 2500 stall converter. I have to get a shaft made and put in the cooler and lines and some more wiring.
WCA,
Welcome and can't wait to see some pictures.:D

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see I cant post a link to my site yet with all the details. I will later.

I dont know if the pics I uploaded will show up.

Anyway its a good winter project. And its kinda nice working on something this new where you dont get your hands dirty. :)

I'll have part numbers later for some of the pieces I've used. I only work on it weekends so it'll be a bit before its ready to test.

Thanks for the welcomes too! I look forward to getting for tips.

Attachments

·
Registered
662 Posts
Is this so your wife can drive it?:D

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL No fghtrpilot, my girlfriend can drive a clutch. The change was my choice.

Oh ya, Svtbird91 asked if I was going to drag race it. I will probably go to the strip once or twice but mostly street driving. And theres no tunnel mods. Just cutting some small spots of the fiber mat around the trans.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Wow great write up with pics . One question what changes if any do you have to make to the computer regards to idle control for an automaatic vs manual trans and how will you do this ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I wish Ford would have offered an automatic as an option for the GT500's. They had several years of R&D with the Lightning trucks, so they had the 5.4 supercharged auto tranny experience.

I would have chosen the auto over the 6-speed.;)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I wish Ford would have offered an automatic as an option for the GT500's. They had several years of R&D with the Lightning trucks, so they had the 5.4 supercharged auto tranny experience.

I would have chosen the auto over the 6-speed.;)
LSR just wondering ,would you consider going this route if WCA's works out well ?

George....

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would have gone auto also.

Nice work.

Id love to have someone do the swap for me.

Jason

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow great write up with pics . One question what changes if any do you have to make to the computer regards to idle control for an automaatic vs manual trans and how will you do this ?
The idle shouldnt be a problem, in theory, since Im connecting the wires together for the clutch inhibit switch ( or what ever Ford calls it). The start switch when the pedal is depressed will now be connected to the shifter PN switch. The PCM should allow it to idle normal since when you put the trans in gear idle air control should search for the desired idle speed. I guess I'll find out soon.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
The idle shouldnt be a problem, in theory, since Im connecting the wires together for the clutch inhibit switch ( or what ever Ford calls it). The start switch when the pedal is depressed will now be connected to the shifter PN switch. The PCM should allow it to idle normal since when you put the trans in gear idle air control should search for the desired idle speed. I guess I'll find out soon.
I was thinking that the IAC might have to be readjusted in the computer.
Keep us posted on the results.
Thanks

George...

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
WCA--roughly- what kind of costs/dollar wise (including labor) would it take for a full conversion from manual to automatic trans? thanks.
Rich

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Rich,
Its hard to say how much to have the entire project done by a shop for you. I'm doing it all myself and I would say a rough guess in pieces is around $2700. I did read where a Shelby authorized shop gets between 6-8 grand to do the conversion.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts