Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to give everyone a heads-up on a new scam we’ve seen here. I was recently sent a PM by a member that had some suspicions. The scam involves new members with zero posts. They send members a PM that have “want to buy” ads in the classifieds sections. The PMs state that a “friend of theirs” has the part in question and to send them an email at the provided address. Of course there is no actual part and if money is sent, it is lost. I have banned a couple of these lately, but one member just reached out to me that ended up sending funds.

So, how can you protect yourself...? I highly recommend not sending money as “friends/family” on PayPal or any other means that is not recoverable. This is even more necessary when dealing with a newbie here and red flags should be waving if the person that contacted you has zero posts!

Be careful out there! These types of losers are abundant in our digital world. Be suspicious if you aren’t dealing with a forum regular.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've gotten a couple over the last 2-3 weeks.
Seemed odd with short membership and lack of posts.
Please send any of these to me so I can deal with them.

·
Registered
2010 GT500, Kona Blue/White Stripes
280 Posts
I will add that I’ve seen a pattern lately of this scam in WTB threads on various forums lately....Signs to watch out for...
The user name is in the pattern of “johnsmith123”
The comment pattern is “I have what you need” or “my friend has what you want. Email them at ———@——-.com”
The last part of the pattern is the signature in the post sent from a off brand device that we typically don’t see here in North America (not an iPhone, Galaxy, LG, etc.)
Here is an example below...I’m sure that “Davidgregg” joined svtp that same day & WTF is a techno bb2?!

98A9ED3B-61D3-4B44-97AE-E9DB50DFE62B.png

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
Here is an example below...I’m sure that “Davidgregg” joined svtp that same day & WTF is a techno bb2?!
This tells you everything you need to know.

Category: TECNO Phones
Specifications, features, photos, and prices of all the latest TECNO phones and devices, as well as of older devices.

TECNO phones are bestsellers across Africa and Asia Pacific. Countries where they are officially available include: Benin, Cameroon, Egypt, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Kenya, Morocco, Nigeria, Senegal, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, Rwanda, Algeria, Bangladesh, Endonesia, Pakistan, Philippines, Thailand, India, The United Arab Emirates, as well as Colombia in South America.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like 2 of them have already been banned.
Couldn't figure a way to forward the third, but I did select the "report" option.

Jeff
Jeff, invite me to join your pm conversation by using the option I’ve circled in red and entering my screen name. This will be best so that I can see exactly what you see.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is aggressive but can we ban certain country IP addresses from creating accounts?
I do it every day. I have an approval cue of suspicious IP address, email accounts, screen names, etc. I usually nuke multiple new members and their posts per day. If someone with no prior record signs up and starts fishing for these types of scams, it won’t raise any alarms until a member hollers at me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts