Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was waiting to place an order for an '08, and was told by one of the dealers that all of the '08's are sold. Does anyone know if Canada is getting more than 400 in '08? I am finding it tough to believe that all cars are spoken for already, but who knows. I may need to look into the possibility of importing one from the US, so has anyone else looked into doing this?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Hi Joe,

I searched all 27 SVT dealers accross Canada Last June and into July to try and purchase a 2007 model. I can tell you that with great disappointment that all 2007 models were already spoken for long before then and the 2008 model year were also filled with some dealers having waiting list of 75 potential buyers or more even though each dealer would only be alloted 15 or so cars.

I found a couple of dealers in Quebec (in the Montreal area) that were not releasing their 2008 allotments until they found out what the 'market rate' would be set at. Both of these dealers said they would put me on the list if I was ready to commit to paying up to, if not, over $20K above MSRP along with a $5K downpayment. I told them both to dream on and continued my search. With all the attention the 2007 model year got on EBay I can only speculate that the dealers got what they wanted. I'm sure by now that these 2 dealers have secured deposits on those cars with the few actually coming to Canada.

I was finally able to find 1 dealer in Canada (in New Brunswick) that had one 2008 model remaining on his allotment list (at MSRP, $57,995. Canadian). I secured my car in July knowing it would be a 2 year wait.

If any consolation, there is lots of talk about the 2009 model year, however, no news on numbers being alloted to the Canadian market.

All I've ever heard from SVT dealers was about 350 in 2007 and 400 for 2008 being built for Canada. No word on 2009 numbers.

All the best in your search.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went through this when the '03 Cobras came out. The dealers wanted MSRP +$5-10,000, but it didn't take too long before they were sitting on the lots at 0%. I'm a little suprised that the Canadian allocation will still be that low with total production being roughly 10,000 units/year. I guess I will need to start looking south to the US. I would imagine that the price would settle there long before Canada. Given the distance you went to get your car, have you thought about that route?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Hi Joe,

Had I not found one in Canada, the U.S. would have been my next avenue. Don't forget that the U.S. versions are actually cheaper to purchase (if taking into consideration the current exchange rate of 17 to 19 cents on the dollar). The U.S. MSPRs start lower than the Canadian MSRPs, but that fact applies on any other vehicle produced and sold in the U.S. However, knowing that the Canadian versions were going to be that much fewer in production numbers, I really had my heart set on a Canadian version for both the exclusivity and collectability of these cars. I plan on driving it for the 6 months of good weather (basically between April 15th through to October 15th) we have in Calgary and storing it over the winter months.

If you are interested, back in early July, I had a dealer in Alberta (Cam Clark Ford in Airdrie) try to sell me the owner's 2007 fully optioned, red coupe with white stripes (#1 allotment at the dealership) for $75K. I was just about to ink my signature on the contract and hand over a certified cheque when I got 'the call' from New Brunswick. I decided that I could wait 2 years and save my $18K+ (I bought a used 2002 Jimmy 4x4 in excellent condition for $12K cash which I can drive all year round - this will be my winter and bad weather driver while the Shelby enjoys its rest). If you are willing to pay that kind of money, It may still be available. I'm not sure where you are from, but if you are interested you can google the dealership to get their phone number.

Again, good luck in your search.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts