Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Vista Blue with White Stripes
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been needing to get around to doing an oil change on my car, but have had other things cropping up of a larger importance. But I feel like I should be able to get to it in the next week or so.

I know I can order it, but I first figured I'd check to see if anyone sells it at all locally as I'd prefer to go that route if at all possible.

I did talk to Kurtdog a few weeks ago and he mentioned he had 20W-50 in it when he sold it to me (kinda surprised me since it says 5W-50 on the fill cap), so I did want to also confirm plenty of people here run that weight as well (I am NOT trying to open up a huge debate about it. One search I did found up over 5 pages worth of threads debating every possible thing about oil). I trust his opinion implicitly, but was hoping to confirm it wasnt a typo on his end when he sent me the text.

Thanks

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500 Coupe, Triple Black
1,682 Posts
I did talk to Kurtdog a few weeks ago and he mentioned he had 20W-50 in it when he sold it to me (kinda surprised me since it says 5W-50 on the fill cap), so I did want to also confirm plenty of people here run that weight as well (I am NOT trying to open up a huge debate about it. One search I did found up over 5 pages worth of threads debating every possible thing about oil). I trust his opinion implicitly, but was hoping to confirm it wasnt a typo on his end when he sent me the text.
I can't speak to what Kurtdog ran for oil or why he ran it.

I realize offering an opinion on oil is like offering one on politics or religion but, you asked for it... SVT recommended Motorcraft 5W-50 Full Synthetic Oil for our cars. I doubt anyone will have problems sticking with that, and a good quality filter, changed regularly. As informed enthusiasts, however, some of us concluded there are better choices available. In researching what I wanted to use, I focused on base stocks, viscosities (initial and sheared), and additive packages. What I learned led me to conclude Amsoil 0W-40 is the best choice for my car. (Amsoil's Signature Series base stocks and additive packages are superior to Motorcraft's, and the sheared viscosity of their 0W-40 is pretty close to that of Motorcraft 5W-50.) Oil analysis with every change leaves me satisfied I made the right choice.

Since Amsoil's Signature Series oils shear less than Motorcraft's, I'd guess your 20W-50 is a little thicker than SVT engineers would prefer, especially on start-up, when most engine wear occurs. (All other things being equal, 0W-XX oil SHOULD provide better wear protection than heavier weight oils at startup because they flow better.)

·
Premium Member
2008 Vista Blue with White Stripes
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate your insight. Thank you (y)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts