Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a storage lift in their garage? If so, how high is your ceiling, and what did you do with the overhead door to make it work? It seems like most homes have 10 foot ceilings in the garage, and I can't see how that would work.

·
Registered
298 Posts
One day maybe .:simmadown:

I was informed (not verified) that with a 10 foot ++ ceiling you can install a storage lift.Supposedly, the garage door goes straight up into the wall and not hanging over your car as most garage doors go. Again, this is not verified but what I was told when I inquired a few months back.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Anyone have a storage lift in their garage? If so, how high is your ceiling, and what did you do with the overhead door to make it work? It seems like most homes have 10 foot ceilings in the garage, and I can't see how that would work.
I've been debating a lift. My garage has a high ceiling...12+ feet. For the door, you need to modify the rails to extend up close to the ceiling before bending back, and you need to mount the opener right up against the ceiling. You can buy new rails at your local home improvement store.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KMB, most lifts will fit under a 10' ceiling, but you can't stack 2 cars on top of each other in 10'. According to Ford, the height on the Mustang is 54". So 2 of them stacked would be 108", or 9'. That doesn't allow for any clearance between the cars, or the lift itself. I thought about "hollowing out" a place in the ceiling where the car would go, but that doesn't address the issue of the garage door and the opener.

·
Registered
180 Posts
KMB, most lifts will fit under a 10' ceiling, but you can't stack 2 cars on top of each other in 10'. According to Ford, the height on the Mustang is 54". So 2 of them stacked would be 108", or 9'. That doesn't allow for any clearance between the cars, or the lift itself. I thought about "hollowing out" a place in the ceiling where the car would go, but that doesn't address the issue of the garage door and the opener.
JonW it can be done, you will need to get a jackshaft mount openerhttp://www.liftmaster.com/consumerweb/pages/productmodeldetail.aspx?modelId=834 and as others said extend the rails to the ceiling. I almost have my two post lift done it a 10ft ceiling garage but this give you less clearance because the suspension hangs down. Blackshelby over at TS has a fourpost in his garage which I believe is 10ft. Here the post that has pics http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13467&hl=blackshelby&st=0

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I have a 4 post lift . You will need to have a garage door co install what is called a " high lift " track . This will enable the door to go up higher then make the turn towards the ceiling properly.

If your garage door opener is centered on the ceiling above you will need at least 11 feet or more if you want to get two cars stored. If you have a comercial type opener mounted on the side then it could be lower possibly 10 ft.

·
Registered
208 Posts
i have 9'6" ceiling, 4 post lift and able to store the mustang and the gt40 under. My garage is deep enough where the door isn't an issue. Close hugging rails will solve that problem.. Things to consider is the lift ramps are at least 6" thick and you have to go up to lower the lift. There are resting blocks you lower the lift so the hydralics are not supporting the weight. The stops are not exactly where you want them. I think they are every 6" . You probably have to go up 2" to be able to retract the stops. I would say you would need at least an aditional 12" in addition to the height of the two vehicles. Every lift will be different i'm sure the manufacturer can tell you how much of the working height is required just for the lift.

LLoyd

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a 4 post with a 10Ft ceiling and can get 1 Cobra replica & mustang underneath as I can raise lift to 6ft with replica on top, I have a 9ft tall garage door with tracks 1 ft from ceiling.. so I centered lift between tracks partially as my garage is 30 ft deep and lift is close to 20ft in lenght

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I don't have exact measurements handy, but i looked into this. My ceilings are APPROXIMATELY 10' high, but I decided "NO" because I cannot raise the car high enough to stand completely underneath the car and work on it. For STORING cars it would have been fine, but my main goal was so I could WORK ON the car. For now I'll suffer by sliding around on my back.

Dave

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I don't have exact measurements handy, but i looked into this. My ceilings are APPROXIMATELY 10' high, but I decided "NO" because I cannot raise the car high enough to stand completely underneath the car and work on it. For STORING cars it would have been fine, but my main goal was so I could WORK ON the car. For now I'll suffer by sliding around on my back.

Dave
Don't forget to add the space under the car from the ground up to the bottom of the floor boards plus the thickness of the ramps. With 10 feet you should have no problem standing under it ....unless your over 6 feet tall then you'd gave to hunch over a bit.

I measured mine .....With the lift all the way up it is a 59" total lift above the floor but to the underside of the transmission mount it is about 69" (my car is lowered too).

my ceiling is 10ft 6" so I do have the extra room for my garage door opener above the car .
Hope this helps.

George.......

·
Registered
7 Posts
My ceiling is 11 feet even. I raised the garage door and even have an opener which hangs down about 9 inches. I am able to stand under the car and work on it which is awesome. So many mods are so much easier that way.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Don't forget to add the space under the car from the ground up to the bottom of the floor boards plus the thickness of the ramps. With 10 feet you should have no problem standing under it ....unless your over 6 feet tall then you'd gave to hunch over a bit.

I measured mine .....With the lift all the way up it is a 59" total lift above the floor but to the underside of the transmission mount it is about 69" (my car is lowered too).

my ceiling is 10ft 6" so I do have the extra room for my garage door opener above the car .
Hope this helps.

George.......
George, I did all the math. It won't work for me. I'm 5' 11". I can just imagine raising the Shelby one inch too high and going right through the ceiling. :mofo:

Dave

·
Registered
298 Posts
Question- does the homeowner's insurance go up when you have a garage lift installed and/or do they value it with a "commericial" policy rate? :thinkerg:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Question- does the homeowner's insurance go up when you have a garage lift installed and/or do they value it with a "commericial" policy rate? :thinkerg:
Why would it go up? The lift would be treated as "contents" and covered under that portion of your policy like anything else....unless it was "PERMANENTLY" installed (i.e. bolted to the ground). In that case you may need to have it shown as part of the house.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Why would it go up? The lift would be treated as "contents" and covered under that portion of your policy like anything else....unless it was "PERMANENTLY" installed (i.e. bolted to the ground). In that case you may need to have it shown as part of the house.
I thought all lifts WERE bolted to the ground somehow?!? I don't know if I'd trust them if they weren't.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think most 4 post lifts are designed so they don’t need to be bolted to the ground.
Mine is not bolted down and it is fine.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
I think most 4 post lifts are designed so they don’t need to be bolted to the ground.
Mine is not bolted down and it is fine.
+1 Mine even has casters so that it can be moved.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I thought all lifts WERE bolted to the ground somehow?!? I don't know if I'd trust them if they weren't.
Snoopy (or is it beach boy now?) isn't bolted to the ground, and you trust him.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts