Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to one dealer today who offered MSRP + $10K, but since they are a very small volume dealer, not an SVT dealer, the sales assoc speculated that the build date may not be until November or December. Anyone out there have a confirmed build for less than $10,000. over sticker? thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
888 Posts
Mine is for +$5k and is on the assembly line now. I really feel fortunate. Another dealer in town has at least one customer paying $70k (this is third party info!) and I would have guessed they would have charged more than my dealership.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,724 Posts
5k over!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,466 Posts
$2K over MSRP, but I my order has not been pulled yet. I'm not expecting to get mine until late in the year...small, non-SVT, non-Pres Award dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
MSRP+$5K...Still waiting for my VIN though, buts that OK. I talk w/my dealer weekly and they are straight shooters. I've pretty much resorted to the fact that I may not get my GT500 until sometime in 2007...I'm very patient and it allows me more time to save $$$:eek:

You will find a lot of folks on various sites BELIEVING that these cars will be had for MSRP or less...perhaps they are correct with the 2008's or 2009's, if Ford builds them...I just don't see it happening w/the 07's(not in any great quantities)...Just my .02 worth. GOOD LUCK!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
ShelbyWise said:
MSRP+$5K...Still waiting for my VIN though, buts that OK. I talk w/my dealer weekly and they are straight shooters. I've pretty much resorted to the fact that I may not get my GT500 until sometime in 2007...I'm very patient and it allows me more time to save $$$:eek:

You will find a lot of folks on various sites BELIEVING that these cars will be had for MSRP or less...perhaps they are correct with the 2008's or 2009's, if Ford builds them...I just don't see it happening w/the 07's(not in any great quantities)...Just my .02 worth. GOOD LUCK!
I ordered in lat April, sometime in 2007 :confused:

Ill buy a used Z06 by then :rolleyes:

oh, and +5K
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
GT500R said:
I ordered in lat April, sometime in 2007 :confused:

Ill buy a used Z06 by then :rolleyes:

oh, and +5K
I'm always interested in hearing why a person would be so quick jump ship with the Shelby possibilities that remain for 08 & 09 and buy a Z06? Many of us who are buying the GT500 are doing so because of the Mustang pedigree regardless of how much input Carroll Shelby had on this last generation (IMO) car to bear his name. The GT500 and the Z06 are apples and oranges. If the performance of a Z06 is what you seek, why not just get one now? If for some reason my GT500 deal goes by the wayside, I'll wait and see what happens in 08 or possibly 09...There remains many possibilities including the R,KR and perhaps a factory lightweight model...who knows for sure?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
ShelbyWise said:
... You will find a lot of folks on various sites BELIEVING that these cars will be had for MSRP or less...perhaps they are correct with the 2008's or 2009's, if Ford builds them...I just don't see it happening w/the 07's(not in any great quantities)...Just my .02 worth. GOOD LUCK!
Another thing the dealer also said with certainty is that the Shelby GT500 is only slated for 2007 and 2008 production-- two years, period. Is this confirmed as true? or is my contact embellishing to make it sound more collectible?

Can you give me some negotiating advice, how did you get to +$5K.... anyone? I'm tempted to go in tomorrow or Thursday, my checkbook laid out on the salesman's desk, and I will make a final offer $5K over MSRP. Of course I'll promise to send them as many Explorer, Fusion and minivan referrals for friends & family as possible......I plan to smile, stand up and leave if they insist on +$10K...then I will hope they call me the next day or two. Has this worked for anyone here?

If anyone is willing to tell me what tactics were applied to talk your dealer down to +$5K over MSRP, as Ross Perot said- I'm all ears!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,724 Posts
We are building the Shelby in 07,08 and 09!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
hey 07 shelby, any speculation on '10? I know it is a long ways out, but there has to be speculation...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
RDavis said:
Can you give me some negotiating advice, how did you get to +$5K.... anyone? I'm tempted to go in tomorrow or Thursday, my checkbook laid out on the salesman's desk, and I will make a final offer $5K over MSRP.
If anyone is willing to tell me what tactics were applied to talk your dealer down to +$5K over MSRP, as Ross Perot said- I'm all ears!
In my case, $5K over MSRP was the dealerships no-haggle price. They are getting 2 cars for sure and may get a third. I feel they are being fair w/me based on some of what I've read on the various GT500 websites. Like I've said in the past, I believe there are still MSRP deals to be had, but not w/o a tremendous amount of effort & luck on the part of the buyer. Perhaps your checkbook plan will work...Just be sure to get something in writing signed by the sales mgr. or GM before leaving...Try to take away all of their avenues of re-nigging if another buyer steps into the picture willing to pay a larger ADM (Added Dealer Mark-Up) GOOD LUCK!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
ShelbyWise said:
I'm always interested in hearing why a person would be so quick jump ship with the Shelby possibilities that remain for 08 & 09 and buy a Z06? Many of us who are buying the GT500 are doing so because of the Mustang pedigree regardless of how much input Carroll Shelby had on this last generation (IMO) car to bear his name. The GT500 and the Z06 are apples and oranges. If the performance of a Z06 is what you seek, why not just get one now? If for some reason my GT500 deal goes by the wayside, I'll wait and see what happens in 08 or possibly 09...There remains many possibilities including the R,KR and perhaps a factory lightweight model...who knows for sure?
Shelbywise I look at you as one of the mentors on this site along with 07 Shelby, however, I (as I wrote in another post) am pretty much ready to get my $5k deposit back even though I am # 1 on my particular salespersons list. The following reasons apply to me:

1) Financial. I bought my 98 Snake with 1900 miles on it in late '99. I have never believed in paying RETAIL let alone OVER RETAIL.

2) Performance. I am not very impressed by the reviews I am reading. I know bolt'ons will improve it but my '98 is the best year out of the '96-'98 year run. (Best computer tune, cooling problems solved, aesthetics, etc.). I feel the '09 Shelby will be the best one and will be had for RETAIL.

3) Performance 2. I found an'04 Cobra with believe it or not 343 original miles. If all goes well I will buy it for $32k and be hunting down you in your GT500. 110 hp less and almost the same performance, VERY IRKSOME INDEED!

4) Body Style. I am not 100% in love with the new body. I prefer the look of the 03-04 Cobras over the GT500.

To answer the q of the thread. My sales guy is promising $10k over and no more.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,724 Posts
f4X said:
hey 07 shelby, any speculation on '10? I know it is a long ways out, but there has to be speculation...
I don't think so.2010 is a new model and the agreement with Shelby was for 2 years and a 3rd optional.The 3rd year is going to happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Hello RDavis, the whole check book on the desk is a tactic you use to buy normal stuff. No offence but it's way too late in the game for that to work. This car is to hyped up & too many folks are all jittery @ just the mention of a Shelby. I want you to get a Shelby & pay the least but today the "deal" is $10k over MSRP. A white GT500 broke 6/13 on eBay @ 15k over MSRP on the buy-it-now & was sold in 4 hours. I wish you the best of luck in your search. PC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
shoyoright said:
Hello RDavis, the whole check book on the desk is a tactic you use to buy normal stuff. No offence but it's way too late in the game for that to work. This car is to hyped up & too many folks are all jittery @ just the mention of a Shelby. I want you to get a Shelby & pay the least but today the "deal" is $10k over MSRP. A white GT500 broke 6/13 on eBay @ 15k over MSRP on the buy-it-now & was sold in 4 hours. I wish you the best of luck in your search. PC
Thanks for the thoughts. Shoyoright I noticed you have a few for sale on Ebay-was that one of your GT500's on ebay that netted +$15K? good for you if so, get while the gettins good- capitalism at its finest.

There is some variance, two days ago a Torch red/white stripe coupe July delivery went on Ebay for $7K over MSRP ($52K). I want the tungsten or alloy so I'd rather spec order or wait for my combo to arrive at a dealer somewhere. Just in case anyone's interested in what I've learned during the last week: out of 35 phone calls and emails sent yesterday (East of the Mississippi) there are two dozen dealers with unclaimed cars. Some are holding out for +$10K (just about all of the dealers who end up consenting to $7.5 -$10K over MSRP start the conversation by stating that $15K - $20K is the going, then after a bit of back and forth + checking with their Sales Manager.. $7.5 - $10k it is), $7500 - $8K was negotiable with several small rural dealers in PA, OH, KY, IN who admit they probably won't get their cars for 6- 8 months. Even so, no one has stepped up at $7.5K for these rural dealers' undetermined ETA cars. The remaining dealers I spoke with in more urbanized markets are not setting their price for another couple of weeks until their cars begin arriving.

What I theorize is not relevant, but my problem is that I can't bring myself to pay $55K for a Mustang, Shelby or not. I can swallow $50K but it still seems extremely irrational. I'm thinking the rabid Shelby GT500 buyer will have already secured a contract by now on Ebay or at a dealer at $10K plus or minus; dealers may find insufficient buyers remaining at +$10K when thousand cars arrive simultaneously at dealers in a couple weeks, driving the premium down to around $5K.... at least I'm hoping. Shoyoright are you keeping one for yourself or selling all of your GT500's in advance?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
98Snake said:
Shelbywise I look at you as one of the mentors on this site along with 07 Shelby, however, I (as I wrote in another post) am pretty much ready to get my $5k deposit back even though I am # 1 on my particular salespersons list. The following reasons apply to me:

1) Financial. I bought my 98 Snake with 1900 miles on it in late '99. I have never believed in paying RETAIL let alone OVER RETAIL.

2) Performance. I am not very impressed by the reviews I am reading. I know bolt'ons will improve it but my '98 is the best year out of the '96-'98 year run. (Best computer tune, cooling problems solved, aesthetics, etc.). I feel the '09 Shelby will be the best one and will be had for RETAIL.

3) Performance 2. I found an'04 Cobra with believe it or not 343 original miles. If all goes well I will buy it for $32k and be hunting down you in your GT500. 110 hp less and almost the same performance, VERY IRKSOME INDEED!

4) Body Style. I am not 100% in love with the new body. I prefer the look of the 03-04 Cobras over the GT500.

To answer the q of the thread. My sales guy is promising $10k over and no more.
98Snake...Thanks...07 SHELBY is truly the Godfather of this site IMHO! I'm just a cling-on who likes to hear myself go blah-blah-blah:D I think many of us are struggling with the 'Do I get the first model year' or 'Do I wait and get the last because it may have more HP, be further refined and sell @ or below MSRP'...I know the answer to that remains relative to ones personal situation. In my case, it may be awhile before I'm able to this again...and hell I drive a 4 cyl. Volvo Wagon everyday, so my personal sense of performance is not what most would view as keen. In regards to the thread topic, The $5K over MSRP deal I have still doesn't seem too bad to me...I have three kids ages 12 and under. There is so much $$ that gets pissed away in our household, whats another $5K!! Anyhow GOOD LUCK on your 'new' 04, and be sure to :) as you go by...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
hello. Do you guys think there is any benefit of getting one earlier, like and early 07 instead of one in 09. Like will it be more valuable in the long run? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
888 Posts
I believe there is a particular advantage to having the first year of a particular run of cars when you are talking about "long run" value. If there were substantial changes made in second or third years that consumers really liked, that could change anyone's mind though. Say that next year they put 550 HP or so in the Shelby and cured the traction problems without increasing the price and there is no doubt that it can whip a Corvette! Five or ten years from now which one would any of us really want?

If my Shelby had been $10k over MSRP I honestly could not afford the car. I might be able to still pay for it, but it would be unfair to my family to do so. A lot of folks can afford to pay the price whatever the price and they will. Those folks aren't concerned as to how valuable it is down the road! I have read more than once on these forums that buying a car is not the best way to invest your money! I would have to say that is true almost across the board.

I planned to buy this car as soon as I read about it about 16 months ago! I have since heard a lot about waiting it out to save the money and it is likely true. I am an old fart and right now I can still enjoy a toy like this. I don't know where I'll be two years from now! So, even with the additional $5k, I have never wanted to back away from this first run Shelby and when I get it, I plan to drive it! I will enjoy driving it for as long as I can! I'm not saving it for someone else to put the miles on it!

I wish you luck in your decision!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
franky23 said:
hello. Do you guys think there is any benefit of getting one earlier, like and early 07 instead of one in 09. Like will it be more valuable in the long run? Thanks
Who really knows what the time value of these cars will be? Historically, the first run of Shelby cars (65's) have done well to appreciate in value regardless of the higher horsepower/quicker E.T. cars that followed. I do believe there will be a lag time of perhaps a decade or more before anyone begins to take notice of this cars collectiblity status...in that time, prices may depreciate, other more powerful cars will come into production and there will become less and less 2007 GT500's for whatever reason. I mean hell, even an Edsel is worth $$ these days. There are so many factors that lead up to a car being collectible...you may have better odds taking your $$ and going to Vegas...But think of the fun you will have as an owner of a GT500...This may be priceless! If ending up with a car that is truly collectible is what a buyer of a GT500 is seeking, of course there is a lot of risk involved, not unlike most investments. I would perhaps buy a car that has already identified itself as 'collectible' if I was really concerned about the future value of my GT500...I plan on thoroughly enjoying my car, if in thirty years it ends up being worth a few thousand dollars, well that will just be an added bonus!!
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top