Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living in Virginia we have to have a front license plate (which sucks) because it covers the strips. What I have not found is any pictures of a Shelby with the front license plate on. There are Dodge Vipers in town that have a front license plate so I can't use the excuse that this car is to nice to have it when the cop pulls me over :( In West Virginia you don't a front plate not sure why all states can't have that rule.

Anyhow if anyone has and pictures with the front license plate I would love to see it... hate the idea of drilling into the bumper :mad:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
busababy said:
Living in Virginia we have to have a front license plate (which sucks) because it covers the strips. What I have not found is any pictures of a Shelby with the front license plate on. There are Dodge Vipers in town that have a front license plate so I can't use the excuse that this car is to nice to have it when the cop pulls me over :( In West Virginia you don't a front plate not sure why all states can't have that rule.

Anyhow if anyone has and pictures with the front license plate I would love to see it... hate the idea of drilling into the bumper :mad:
I looked at all the pics of delivered Shelbys over on StangsUnleashed, and not one had a front plate.

Front plates are required in Colorado too. I'm thinking I'll leave it off and take my chances. I really don't want holes in the front bumber either

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
busababy said:

I have never seen 1 either.I have seen several kits over the years that we send with the car.I do believe we send them and if it is mandatory in your state your dealer will install it before you pick it up.Part of the prep package.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Oh man, that looks horrible. :eek: I hope my dealer will leave it off if I ask really nicely.

·
Registered
257 Posts
A front plate is also mandatory in CA...My dealer has already been instructed to stay the hell away from my front fascia with their cordless drill! I'm taking my chances w/o one. The only place I've encountered a problem is @ LAX, where they want a camera shot of the front and back of every vehicle entering and exiting...something else we can thank the terrorist fugs for. It's just a "fix it" ticket here, so I'll make a piece of sheetmatal that I can bolt on utilizing some existing front end hardware...and take it off again as soon as I arrive home after having the CHP "sign off" on the violation. Just something to think about before drilling your bumper...:)

If you go this sites 'Home' page, check out the 'Killing off SVT' pic...It has a photo of a white/blue GT500 with a 'RIP' MI front plate on it...I'm not sure how much this looks like the real thing though...

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
rpretzel said:
Oh man, that looks horrible. :eek: I hope my dealer will leave it off if I ask really nicely.

I don't know if that is dealer mounted?All the ones I have ever seen follow the contour of the bumper and we drill and rivet them on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
rpretzel said:
Oh man, that looks horrible. :eek:
07 SHELBY said:
I don't know if that is dealer mounted?All the ones I have ever seen follow the contour of the bumper and we drill and rivet them on.
I totally agree that it looks horrible. Front plates are horrible in general...that's why I took mine off my '97 Cobra

The pics show a dealer tag on the front and it looks like it's mounted to a license plate bracket. If I had one ordered I'd tell the dealership if they drilled it they can buy the Shelby back b/c I wouldn't want it.:D

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got an email from a guy on Stangsunleashed and he said that the bumper is already drilled with the inserts installed however the tape is covering the holes. The dealer gave him the license plate bracket and screws and told him he could install if he wanted. He also is going to take a chance and not put on the front plate. I will also take a chance and the first ticket I get than I will put it on. This morning on the way to work I looked at every vehicle that went by to see the front license plate. Allot of vehicles including older mustangs have the bumper notched for the licenese plate but with the stripes going down the front it would be nice not to have it covering the stripes. I saw a viper a week ago and he had a front license plate and I don't remember it looking hateful.

Hey Oldimp do you have a front license plate on your's ? If so how about a picture....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is it legal an any of these states in which you must have a front liscense plate to put it in the front window instead of on the front bumper. Personally with it in the window would keep the car looking nicer and keep you in the legal terms if this is allowed. I am asking cause i have seen this before.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

For all that is concerned.The front fascia and the rear bumper do not have holes in them just dimples.Here at the factory we do not send license plate brackets.All we send is a small manilla envelope with screws for your front and rear bumpers.On the front of the package it shows you how to install the front and rear liscense plate with the screws onto your bumpers.If you get a bracket it will come from your dealer not the factory.For those of you that have your Shelbys the package is either in the glove box but usually in the trunk.......................................07....................................

·
Registered
90 Posts
I got an email from a guy on Stangsunleashed and he said that the bumper is already drilled with the inserts installed however the tape is covering the holes. The dealer gave him the license plate bracket and screws and told him he could install if he wanted. He also is going to take a chance and not put on the front plate. I will also take a chance and the first ticket I get than I will put it on. This morning on the way to work I looked at every vehicle that went by to see the front license plate. Allot of vehicles including older mustangs have the bumper notched for the licenese plate but with the stripes going down the front it would be nice not to have it covering the stripes. I saw a viper a week ago and he had a front license plate and I don't remember it looking hateful.

Hey Oldimp do you have a front license plate on your's ? If so how about a picture....
Hey busababy, this is Christina. I have had my '04 Mach 1 for some time and have driven all around Winc. with my front tag on the floor in the back, ready to flash it to the first cop that pulls me over. My excuse will be that my husband has yet to bring home the front bracket (that does not exist) to mount the front plate. If he writes you a ticket it will not be that much money and it will be no points. My husband knows, as he still has the original '04 inspection sticker on the windsheild of his car. Have fun!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Sorry, busababy! I just saw this one! They don't have the front license tags down here!

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I am going to take my chances as well. A ticket or 2 I can afford and I will tell him that the front license plate bracket is on back order from ford and point out to him that on other mustangs the bumper is indented for a front license but on this because of the Air Bag and super charger coolant lines that a special bracket has to be used... Sounds good doesn't it :)

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So has anyone mounted their front license plate yet. I would like to see pictures of it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
busababy - my Shelby has the front license plate - dealer put it on before consulting with me - once it stops raining here in MN I'll take some pics and post them.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tomorrow night I will be working with a Fabricator on designing a front license plate bracket that DOES NOT REQUIRE drilling the front bumper. He has some ideas and he has a full blown machine shop. This is below his skill set, he is use to machining motor parts, bearings, etc but we will see what he comes up with.

I think if the car did not have front stripes it would not draw as much attention but as you all know no matter what color (Red might be a little worst) but with those stripes the car screams hey look at me... and for a cop it says look at me than look over the car and see if I can find something wrong.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts

My mounts were in my glove box just as you mentioned. Gave my dealer strict instructions not to mount the front plate as required by NYS law before delivery, and will take my chances, as the front end is too distinctive for any front plate to disturb, no matter what kind of mount we may incorporate.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I'm going to take my chances as well. Front plates are required in Colorado, but I can't bring myself to defile the front bumper with a plate. My neighbor is a Sheriff. I wonder if he'll give me a get-out-of-jail-free card. He's a car guy. He should understand. :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
I need some advice for those with experience posting pictures. My wife took some pics of my Shelby (it has the front license plates) with a digital camera and downloaded them to me. I tried to post them but their size is too big - over 1,000 kb. Is there something she can do to pass of the pics but using less size? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts