Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1501 - 1520 of 1534 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Twister Orange HP GT500
228 Posts
Was leaving a Best Buy right as it was closing. Instantly spot another GT500 rolling up to me. I start waving. We both say “Nice car” at the same time. Turns out he saw my GT500 in the parking lot and waited to say hi. We start talking. About 15 mins later, a GT350 pulls up. He’s as excited as we are to see what is now a trio of Shelbys in a nearly empty parking lot. We start talking Shelby this and that for the next 45 mins…line up the cars, take pics, rev the engines, etc. I start looking around…at least half of the Best Buy employees (an hour after closing) are huddled together at a standstill by the cart rack looking at the cars and smiling and pointing. The other half is taking pictures from the entrance. In addition to the Best Buy kids, we had multiple people cruise over from entirely different stores and lots to look and give us a thumbs up, including a Hellcat driver. When my girlfriend asked why it took two hours for me to get her iPhone charger, I showed her my mini Shelbyfest picture and she immediately understood. Fun day. View attachment 241780
That's awesome, and what are the odds of that happening for such a random cool photo op.

·
Premium Member
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP Carbonized Gray
593 Posts
This weekend I attended my first cars & coffee. My “car whore” buddy (as my wife calls us 🤷‍♂️) tagged along with his Challenger ST. The plan was I would meet him at the X-roads near my house at 7:15am and we’ll follow each other. I get there a few minutes early. This guy in a pick-up comes by and about drives off the road when he seen me. He quickly turns around and drives up with a deer in the headlights look. Says to me gotta be the most badass car he’s ever seen and then asks if it’s a GT350 🤣. When I tell him it’s a 500 he says, “OMG, I’ve never seen one in person”, and then rambles on drools for a couple minutes before leaving. Good start to the day.

I pull into cars & coffee right next to a 2014 Boss 302 while he’s polishing his engine. He looks out of corner of his eye and then here he comes. He’s just standing there waiting for me to get out. I get out and close the door and he just looks at me and says “overachiever” 🤣. Enjoyed getting to know him…cool guy!

Headed back home and still in town. See this motorcycle coming at me about 200 feet away. He sticks his thumb out all the way up and past me, then I look in my rear view mirror and he turns his head around twice staring as I drive away. You’d think he just saw a sexy woman in a skimpy bikini. 🤣.

Had company over that afternoon. His wife wants to take a ride and go fast. I go to my favorite spot so I can do a 30-130 pull. She screams nearly the entire pull and then says, “OMG, I’m in love with this car! One of the most exciting things I’ve ever done in my life!” It’s fun to give others a once in a lifetime experience!!

It was an awesome Saturday 😎.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The wife and I were leaving a restaurant this evening, and there was a couple walking down the sidewalk toward my car. As I was pulling out of the parking space, my wife glanced over and said the guy was literally dragging his girlfriend off the sidewalk pointing at my car and trying to get his phone out to take a picture. I was too busy watching for other cars to see him, but my wife said it was hilarious.

·
Registered
2022 Grabber Blue Metallic CFTP
93 Posts
Had a adrenaline rush experience. As I'm leaving town headed back home there's a Z06 corvette (15 - 2019 maybe) following me and I cut through heavy traffic as they were moving slower and he follows me for next 5 minutes until we finally get on the highway. I knew he wanted to race as he stayed behind me on purpose to see what my car was. Both lanes opened up, I get in the left lane as he gets next to me. I look over and he is waving "LETS GO". I didn't think about it for one second, I honked a couple a times and we started running. I didn't really push my car or drop the gear down. He was gone. He smoked me. I'm not a smart driver and I'll admit it but had I knew that I was already in a high gear I would've done things differently. I don't do races as this might have been my second race ever period. (We may have been rolling and doing 55-60 before I honked, I think I was already in 6-7th gear)

But we get up to the next red light and we lowered our windows down to exchange few words. He told me I had a beautiful car and I complimented him on his as well. He asked me if I lived around here and I told him I do, vice versa. He said that one of his buddies has this car and he knows what the GT500 is capable of. I told him that I just got my car and I haven't really pushed it yet, light turns green and we go our separate ways.

Great experience. You can truly tell how much this car draws attention. Now I've got to catch him and beat him. :cautious: I keep telling myself that It's the driver not the car. (Talking about myself)

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
42,718 Posts
Had a adrenaline rush experience. As I'm leaving town headed back home there's a Z06 corvette (15 - 2019 maybe) following me and I cut through heavy traffic as they were moving slower and he follows me for next 5 minutes until we finally get on the highway. I knew he wanted to race as he stayed behind me on purpose to see what my car was. Both lanes opened up, I get in the left lane as he gets next to me. I look over and he is waving "LETS GO". I didn't think about it for one second, I honked a couple a times and we started running. I didn't really push my car or drop the gear down. He was gone. He smoked me. I'm not a smart driver and I'll admit it but had I knew that I was already in a high gear I would've done things differently. I don't do races as this might have been my second race ever period. (We may have been rolling and doing 55-60 before I honked, I think I was already in 6-7th gear)

But we get up to the next red light and we lowered our windows down to exchange few words. He told me I had a beautiful car and I complimented him on his as well. He asked me if I lived around here and I told him I do, vice versa. He said that one of his buddies has this car and he knows what the GT500 is capable of. I told him that I just got my car and I haven't really pushed it yet, light turns green and we go our separate ways.

Great experience. You can truly tell how much this car draws attention. Now I've got to catch him and beat him. :cautious: I keep telling myself that It's the driver not the car. (Talking about myself)
Next time pull your left paddle a couple/few times to get the RPMs up maybe around 5k+. Leave the tranny in auto-shift… just temporarily pull the paddle. The car will get going much better and will shift to the next gear at redline. Drag or Sport Modes will help as well. Yes you can pull/hold the left paddle, but I’d rather select a gear of my choosing.

·
DFW Shelby Queen!
2010 Grabber Blue/White
3,336 Posts
I’ve had so many compliments on my car I can’t remember all of them. Grabber Blue was named appropriately…lol, it definitely “grabs” peoples attention. I can’t park anywhere that I haven’t had guys walk up and ask me about my car. I’m always so thankful for their compliments. It’s funny when sitting at a light, and guys pull up to look at the car. They seem shocked to see a girl driving, but smile and give me a thumbs up, or roll their window down to compliment the car. She’s one of the old girls, but still gets a lot of attention!!😊

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
42,718 Posts
I was thinking of something similar. Thank you! Pulling/Holding on the left paddle will not shift auto correct unless I let it go?
Pulling and holding (briefly) the left paddle will make the tranny jump to the lowest selectable gear in all modes except track mode. This does not lock in manual shifting like pressing the M button does on the shift dial. Same with preselecting the appropriate “go gear” by pulling the left paddle back a couple few times. The tranny will be in a temporary override showing the paddles in the digital dash. The tranny will only upshift at redline in this mode, but it will shift… unlike locking the tranny in manual mode (M)… the tranny won’t upshift in this case and you’ll nail the rev limiter.

·
Premium Member
2022 GT500 HE
339 Posts
Well my car arrived on Friday and on the 3 mile drive from the dealer to my fathers garage I had a white SUV following quite close behind me. As I’m turning off the main road I look in my rear view mirror and see the driver of the SUV holding up her phone and taking pictures of my car. Not even 3 miles driven by me and the car is already turning heads!

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 HP Carbonized Metallic Gray
1,768 Posts
I attended a weekly car show at a Sams club Parking lot. When I drive in I past the Corvette club they all nearly break their necks to watch me pass 😂😂 I tell my son it’s a Shelby thing 😂

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Next time pull your left paddle a couple/few times to get the RPMs up maybe around 5k+. Leave the tranny in auto-shift… just temporarily pull the paddle. The car will get going much better and will shift to the next gear at redline. Drag or Sport Modes will help as well. Yes you can pull/hold the left paddle, but I’d rather select a gear of my choosing.
THIS ☝. I’ve tried pulling the left paddle and holding it briefly but doesn’t always seem to drop to lowest gear needed. Maybe it’s all in the timing of how long it’s held. I’m liking what Tim said here better…selecting the gear of my choosing by watching the rpm’s. It’s usually just two gears lower. You want to grab the gear that brings it up between 4,000-5,000 rpm’s and then stand on it. Don’t be in the throttle when you go to gear down. In the case of the Corvette, since you felt he might be coming up along side for a roll race, then I would have already been in that lower gear or at least only one tap away when he rolled up. Launching in the right gear MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE! Next time you’ll smoke that Vette!

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
THIS ☝. I’ve tried pulling the left paddle and holding it briefly but doesn’t always seem to drop to lowest gear needed. Maybe it’s all in the timing of how long it’s held. I’m liking what Tim said here better…selecting the gear of my choosing by watching the rpm’s. It’s usually just two gears lower. You want to grab the gear that brings it up between 4,000-5,000 rpm’s and then stand on it. Don’t be in the throttle when you go to gear down. In the case of the Corvette, since you felt he might be coming up along side for a roll race, then I would have already been in that lower gear or at least only one tap away when he rolled up. Launching in the right gear MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE! Next time you’ll smoke that Vette!
It’s about a 3-4 second hold and you’ll feel the car buck against the lower gear. I rarely use it because I’ve become so good at double tapping the paddle and hitting that sweet spot. If I’m on the highway I’ll triple tap it because it’s normally in 7th dropping into 4th is violent and absolutely violating to any Chevrrari or Helcat. Those guys look like cartoon eyes in the rear view when that predator belches out pure malice for their very existence.

·
Registered
2021 CFTP Carbonized Grey
208 Posts
Hello All,

I have had many cars, over the years, but I’ve never had one that got so much attention. Now, I don’t know if it’s just where I live but I am curious about other strange, funny, offbeat reactions you have received while driving your cars. Needless to say, I love this car, but sometimes the attention it gets is a little over the top:

One of the funniest one’s that I’ve encountered is when I dropped my son off at a park and as I was exiting parking lot there was a young boy gawking (with his mouth open) as he drove along side on his bike. He shadowed me for about 30 feet until I exited and he crashed, never taking his eyes off the car, head first, into the guard rail that surrounded the park. As I turned out of the park I could still see him scrambling to his feet to get a last look at the car.

An even weirder incident happened as I passed through a small town north of Anchorage. A young “lady” actually lifted her dress up over her head as I passed. My wife, who was in the car at the time, found that one quite amusing!

Anyone else getting these strong reactions from other?
I’d take my son to school once or twice a week in the mornings and the police officer watching the drop off/pick up lane would be loud making sounds and gestures telling everyone to look at his dream car and would come and open the door for my little boy coming out. My son’s face and the big smile was priceless every time and some of his teachers would comment on the car. My son starts middle school now, I have to prepare him to low his expectations 😁
BTY, this is Naples, Florida and there is no shortage of high end cars and exotics but it is something about the Shelby that no one can resist.

·
Premium Member
2022 Rapid Red
205 Posts
Was leaving the tax office to order my custom plates, and pulled up to a red light in the right lane. As I was rolling past the line in the left lane, there was a Cadillac CT4-V. As soon as I rolled past, he pulled behind me. I could see him in the rearview fumbling for his phone, then he started snapping pictures lol

Man this car gets a lot of attention on the roads :)

·
Registered
2008 GT500
82 Posts
Had a Hellcat roll up next to me in traffic this morning, he said to me "Hey I see ya man, that thing is nice. You running that thing?" I replied, hell yeah but not in this traffic lol. Light turned green then he got behind me and followed me to my destination. That's when he complimented the exhaust and invited me to Mexico to do some runs :LOL:

I may take the trip and see what else is out there running, I know I'll need more mods than what I currently have though to beat up on that kitty cat.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Walking through the parking lot today leaving the gym. I always park further out, and as I turn down the row where I'm parked, I see a guy taking a selfie with my car. Then he walks over and gets in a Charger. He started leaving when I did, and I saw he had his windows down and was filming me as I drove off.

·
Registered
2021 GT 500
768 Posts
Had a Hellcat roll up next to me in traffic this morning, he said to me "Hey I see ya man, that thing is nice. You running that thing?" I replied, hell yeah but not in this traffic lol. Light turned green then he got behind me and followed me to my destination. That's when he complimented the exhaust and invited me to Mexico to do some runs :LOL:

I may take the trip and see what else is out there running, I know I'll need more mods than what I currently have though to beat up on that kitty cat.
I ran a Redeye widebody at least 6 times from 70-160ish in Mexico, and it was a pretty even match. I’m stock with nothing but a JLT—for now. Lol. I never got to talk to him, so I’m not sure what mods he had if any.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
On my way out to the mountains today I was driving though a little desert town and a guy in a Lincoln car is literally hanging out his drivers window with his phone behind me, swerving barely staying on the road. I guess I missed the Trooper that I saw pull out shortly after I noticed the guy. Yep sorry dude hope those tickets weren’t expensive 😂😂😂😂😂

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I ran a Redeye widebody at least 6 times from 70-160ish in Mexico, and it was a pretty even match. I’m stock with nothing but a JLT—for now. Lol. I never got to talk to him, so I’m not sure what mods he had if any.
Yeah, from my understanding you were pretty evenly matched but I bet that was a blast! Have a feeling that might have accelerated your timeframe for mods ;). Never had mine above 133...yet!...but, 160??...😍(y)(y).

·
Registered
2021 GT500, Gray, TP+Rec
309 Posts
Was leaving a Best Buy right as it was closing. Instantly spot another GT500 rolling up to me. I start waving. We both say “Nice car” at the same time. Turns out he saw my GT500 in the parking lot and waited to say hi. We start talking. …
Great story!
LOL, “Why did it take 2 hours to get a phone charger?”

1501 - 1520 of 1534 Posts