Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1241 - 1260 of 1275 Posts

·
Registered
2011 SVTPP GT500 Convertible, Silver
202 Posts
Seeing as I've only put 50-60 miles on it in the past 9 days, I'm really anxious to see if my lowly 11 convertible gets any kind of reaction at all. So far, no one's said anything.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 DIB/Satin Black TP/PP
589 Posts
Seeing as I've only put 50-60 miles on it in the past 9 days, I'm really anxious to see if my lowly 11 convertible gets any kind of reaction at all. So far, no one's said anything.
Im assuming you're saying lowly in gest. They come, trust me. Especially by the people who know what it is you're driving! Hell, even by those who may not know exactly what it is, but they can just tell its something special.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Kind of. There are a million and one Mustangs around here, so I would expect people to be totally desensitized to what looks like a regular older Mustang convertible to most. I know what it is for sure, but I'm a car guy!

As I said to my girlfriend who asked why a 10 year old Mustang is so expensive, I said, "It's a very special car, that's why, it's really not a normal Mustang, you really don't see them very often." Back around summertime, we watched "Ford v Ferrari". Last week after I parked it in the garage she said "I didn't realize that was a Shelby until I looked at the back. That's really cool." Earlier when I bought my Raptor I had to explain to her what that was as well LOL.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So the other day I'm getting on the on ramp to go home and a scat pack charger with big rims comes screaming passed me on the inside lane, drops into N and gives me a big rev. When the ramp ends I obliged him with a 40-100 3rd gear pull and leave him like he's standing still. Fast forward to this morning and I'm coming onto Camp Pendleton and the Marine at the gate(military police) says "this thing is beautiful! What do you have done to it?" I say "Thanks" and give him a quick run down. He asks the question everyone asks, "how much power you putting down?" I give him a rough estimate. He says "well you smoked me! I was the charger who tried to race you 2 days ago!" I laughed and told him that was only 3rd and not even all of it. His surprise was almost as priceless as the moment a cop tells you that he tried to race you and got smoked! Lol!

Also... as im typing this in the gym parking lot... im parked next to a really custom slingshot(look it up if you dony know what it is, theyre pretty cool) and a DeLorean in very good condition. 2 Marines walk by and say something about the slingshot, then see the DeLorean and say something, then as they're getting into their brand new Dart, they see me and the driver says "seriously a Shelby too?!" "I dont wanna live here anymore, everyone has a cool car, but me!" The passenger says "at least you've got a car, im still on my lamborfeeties!"
:ROFLMAO: .... when I was in I was always fascinated with the rides in the gym parking lot - military members (as a whole) seem to have great taste in vehicles. Some of my favorite car club members were in the service.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
30,848 Posts
:ROFLMAO: .... when I was in I was always fascinated with the rides in the gym parking lot - military members (as a whole) seem to have great taste in vehicles. Some of my favorite car club members were in the service.
I see you joined 10 years ago, but since you just made your 1st post, I’ll say: Welcome to the forum! If you are up for introducing yourself, you’ll find our new member area here:

·
Registered
589 Posts
I wouldnt go that far. Some do, but alot have no clue. Theres more rice than nice now. However the ones who do know what they're doing, really do a great job!

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
310 Posts
There are two or three other GT500s around here that I've seen, maybe more.

Mostly I just get people pointing and staring from their car, or cars 'hovering' around on the road. Had one guy come up to me while I was fueling up and talking to me for about 20 minutes.
Never had the flashing experience lol - and most of the attention I've gotten has been male. Had cars stop, driving through parking lots to gawk.

Only weird one I had --- shortly after getting the car, still had the dealer tag, sitting at a light on NW Expressway (three straigt and two turn lanes - I was in the middle about 4 cars back). Dude just walks out between the cars, walks completely 360 around my car and then continues on across the street. I admit, freaked me out a bit.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Nothing much other than "Nice car, that's sharp" in the grocery store parking lot so far, and a few guys in Camaros and Chargers acting like idiots. Otherwise this thing is pretty anonymous.

·
Premium Member
2011 SVTPP Ingot Silver
163 Posts
I can rarely go out for a drive without getting a (y), “beautiful car”, “Wow, a Shelby!” or “smoke’em”. Maybe because there are less nice cars here in the countryside of upstate NY. The biggest problem for me is the long winter and pickups trying to “test” me.

·
Registered
2011 GT500
645 Posts
Nothing much other than "Nice car, that's sharp" in the grocery store parking lot so far, and a few guys in Camaros and Chargers acting like idiots. Otherwise this thing is pretty anonymous.
You have some stiff competition in your neck of the woods. My Z06 would hardly ever get a second look running around Sarasota.

Reactions: REMIX

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,848 Posts
Took the CFTP out... the wife and I were heading into town to get her a laptop. I was fidgeting with the stereo at a stop light and my wife hit me and pointed out a 93 Cobra going the opposite direction. He did a U-turn and pulled up along side. He had a young son in the right seat. He said his son spotted my car and pointed it out to dad. We chatted at a couple stop lights and I told him we were heading 20 minutes down the road to town... the 93 owner opted to do a little cruise with us. At one point, I had him go up the road and I proceeded to give him a little “fly-by.” They followed us all the way to Best Buy and we did a little show and tell with the cars.

I live in a relatively smaller town. He is in the same town... it was neat to see another 93 Cobra out in the wild! His son is a big Mustang fan... we exchanged info and I’ll have them both out to the garage to see the cars.

01929FD5-4C0B-44ED-A820-732E85EDD1B9.jpeg
AB0879AA-7454-4176-9E7A-8A6E78F203DB.jpeg

024AA24E-2CF2-4195-8AD9-EE066C184DA7.jpeg

7155AD8A-B7B8-4282-B74D-E427167F0774.jpeg

62F08288-F075-4C3F-99E3-4FA5E1FEF48B.jpeg

·
Registered
202 Posts
Very nice! Didn't they make like next to zero 93 Cobras? Or is that the Cobra R? You really don't see those things much.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
589 Posts
Took the CFTP out... the wife and I were heading into town to get her a laptop. I was fidgeting with the stereo at a stop light and my wife hit me and pointed out a 93 Cobra going the opposite direction. He did a U-turn and pulled up along side. He had a young son in the right seat. He said his son spotted my car and pointed it out to dad. We chatted at a couple stop lights and I told him we were heading 20 minutes down the road to town... the 93 owner opted to do a little cruise with us. At one point, I had him go up the road and I proceeded to give him a little “fly-by.” They followed us all the way to Best Buy and we did a little show and tell with the cars.

I live in a relatively smaller town. He is in the same town... it was neat to see another 93 Cobra out in the wild! His son is a big Mustang fan... we exchanged info and I’ll have them both out to the garage to see the cars.

View attachment 209262 View attachment 209266
View attachment 209264
View attachment 209265
View attachment 209263
Thats cool! I love when things like that happen. Your wife seems like a pretty cool woman too, reminds me of mine. Pointed out the cobra, didn't mind the little "hangout" or the invite of someone you just met to the house, took the pics for you, aaaaaand it was a bit "spirited" as you guys say. Very cool Tim!

·
Premium Member
2020 gt500 Shadow Black
121 Posts

View attachment 209264
View attachment 209265
View attachment 209263
For me, this is what it's all about.

·
Super Moderator
5,017 Posts

View attachment 209264
View attachment 209265
View attachment 209263
Awesome! Great story. Can't wait to hear the next chapter when they visit Garagemahal!

For me, this is what it's all about.
X2 --- well said, sir, well said.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,848 Posts
Very nice! Didn't they make like next to zero 93 Cobras? Or is that the Cobra R? You really don't see those things much.
4994 93 Cobras + 107 93Rs were made.

My wife asked “Why are we taking the CFTP to Best Buy?” When we met the 93 owner and had fun, afterwards I said this is EXACTLY why we took the new Shelby! We had a good time! 🤟

·
Registered
2009 GT500 Convertible with ?
15 Posts
New Sheby owner here - 09 rag top. Night I brought the car home I decided to go to the auto parts store for some detailing stuff.

I took my 14 year old son with me and we were having a giggle on the way home. Up ahead there was a redlight and a beat up Ram quad cab sitting there. When the light turned the truck took off hard ahead of us then immediately slowed - which made me wonder what he was up to.

The truck was just creeping and I saw a rear window come down - I got afraid someone was gonna throw something at me. I finally decided to hell with it and stomped it harder than I had previously. Car leaped forward roaring with a bit of tire spin. As we went by them I realized there were 5 people in the truck and they all had their phones filming me as I went by - everyone hootint and hollering...

Guess Im just not used to drive a rockstar yet...

·
Registered
589 Posts
New Sheby owner here - 09 rag top. Night I brought the car home I decided to go to the auto parts store for some detailing stuff.

I took my 14 year old son with me and we were having a giggle on the way home. Up ahead there was a redlight and a beat up Ram quad cab sitting there. When the light turned the truck took off hard ahead of us then immediately slowed - which made me wonder what he was up to.

The truck was just creeping and I saw a rear window come down - I got afraid someone was gonna throw something at me. I finally decided to hell with it and stomped it harder than I had previously. Car leaped forward roaring with a bit of tire spin. As we went by them I realized there were 5 people in the truck and they all had their phones filming me as I went by - everyone hootint and hollering...

Nailed it! Bet your son was grinning ear to ear!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,848 Posts

That’s awesome! 🤟

Enjoy the car, but be mindful of cooler temps and loss of traction. Congrats on the Shelby score!

1241 - 1260 of 1275 Posts