Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1170 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have had many cars, over the years, but I’ve never had one that got so much attention. Now, I don’t know if it’s just where I live but I am curious about other strange, funny, offbeat reactions you have received while driving your cars. Needless to say, I love this car, but sometimes the attention it gets is a little over the top:

One of the funniest one’s that I’ve encountered is when I dropped my son off at a park and as I was exiting parking lot there was a young boy gawking (with his mouth open) as he drove along side on his bike. He shadowed me for about 30 feet until I exited and he crashed, never taking his eyes off the car, head first, into the guard rail that surrounded the park. As I turned out of the park I could still see him scrambling to his feet to get a last look at the car.

An even weirder incident happened as I passed through a small town north of Anchorage. A young “lady” actually lifted her dress up over her head as I passed. My wife, who was in the car at the time, found that one quite amusing!

Anyone else getting these strong reactions from other?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Shame you did not have that one tape, that is priceless.

I pulled up to pick my wife up at the grocery store this weekend and my wife heard a teenaged kid say to his mom as I was pulling up " I don't care mom that is the coolest car I have ever seen in my life" When I was waiting in the parking lot he had drove by me 2 or 3 times. He was still staring as we left.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Pick your daughter up from school and see what happens. (any age)
:zlurking:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was driving with my wife about 2 miles from my home on a 2 lane country road with homes about every 500 feet or so. There was no traffic to speak of, just a guy with a helmet on and riding a pretty nice bicycle coming towards us in the other lane. As we came up on him I slowed down to about 25 MPH to be safe (Road was posted at 40 MPH) and I could see the guy looking at our Shelby. Just about 10 feet past me, he was at the edge of the road and must not of been watching as his front bike tire went off the edge of the road and down he went. I hit the brakes and stopped. He had fell off his bike in his lane towards his edge of the roadway. I carefully backed up and said "you ok?". He said he was ok and thanks. I see why they wear those bicycle helmets now!
As we drove away, my wife looked over at me and said, so this Shelby will knock them off their bikes now too??? We both laughed, but in all seriousness, I am glad the guy was ok and that I was not going any faster.

Regards,
Phil

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hello All,

I have had many cars, over the years, but I’ve never had one that got so much attention. Now, I don’t know if it’s just where I live but I am curious about other strange, funny, offbeat reactions you have received while driving your cars. Needless to say, I love this car, but sometimes the attention it gets is a little over the top:

One of the funniest one’s that I’ve encountered is when I dropped my son off at a park and as I was exiting parking lot there was a young boy gawking (with his mouth open) as he drove along side on his bike. He shadowed me for about 30 feet until I exited and he crashed, never taking his eyes off the car, head first, into the guard rail that surrounded the park. As I turned out of the park I could still see him scrambling to his feet to get a last look at the car.

An even weirder incident happened as I passed through a small town north of Anchorage. A young “lady” actually lifted her dress up over her head as I passed. My wife, who was in the car at the time, found that one quite amusing!

Anyone else getting these strong reactions from other?
Funny. Two quick ones for you.

Yesterday, we went to an all Shelby/Mustang Show at a big Mustang Shop here in Connecticut (Mustangs Unlimited). Anyhow, we are pulling in and there are people all over the place. As I am driving in at about ten miles per hour (thank God no faster), a guy comes out of no where, with a camera that had to be worth 5k. He steps directly in front of my car and clicks off three or four photos. If I wasn't paying attention, he would have been taking a close up of my windshield. (Stupidity exhibited)

The second one is related to your dress story. I am a police officer and at times drive an unmarked car. The other night, about three in the morning, after the bars were all getting out, two girls were walking down the sidewalk. They evidentally didn't know it was an unmarked cruiser, as they both did the dress over the head routine. Needless to say there were three red faces with the conversation that followed. You know, you just can't make this stuff up. :pinklove:

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Nothing in the Gt500 yet. Does a Crown Vic count. I did get a lifting of the dress during a traffic stop while training a newbie on the Sheriffs dept. This was over 10 Years ago, but I will never forget it. Car weaving and speeding, I got her out of the car and checked her for DUI. I had her stand behind her car, Camera running and came back to the cruiser for the breathalizer. She pulled her dress up to her teeth and proceeded to adjuster her stockings, putting on a show. The Newbie looks over at me and ask me how often this happens. She passed the breath test and I let her go with a warning for the speeding for her efforts. The newbie asked why I let her go. Simple , so she will do it again to the next cop that pulls a traffic stop on her.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I get a ton of people checking out the car, mostly when the wife is in it it seems. She can't stand it and teases me about it for hours. Best ever though is when a guy in a Challenger SRT pulls around me fast and I think he is trying to race me so i goose it a little. We pull up to next light and he says he didn't want to race, he just wanted to check out the car. Second would be 2 days ago when my niece's husband is in the car and asks me "so, whats the difference between this and a GT500"...I said, this is a GT500. Then he tells me about his AMC Javelin he just bought. I like the guy so I didn't give him any shit about the GT500...or the Javelin.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I showed up at my husbands work and one of their customers says to me.. Wow your son actually let's you drive his car? I laughed and said it was my car and he just looked stunned and said do you even know what that car is? Is said of course I know I picked it out.. He just kept going on and on are you sure you know what's under that hood... I shook my head and walked inside lol. Most other times I come out and some random guy is drooling around the car.. Oh and another guy said oh wow where do you get a car like that? I said dealership and drove off lol. At that time I still had dealer plates on the car. And another time was a cop in my area taking pics his partner was a girl and said if he causes you problems and touches the car we can start a case number against him now lol he then realized I was the owner and said my goodness I could only afford a gt and you have a gt500 hope you didn't mind me taking pics. I told him I didn't mind. The officers in my area are really nice and I know most of them. Its funny watching them pull over other people and I go driving by and they stop doing what they are doing and it's like slow motion stare as I go by lol. The funny part I find is you can find all exotic cars of every make and model everyday in my area but you never see a Shelby. I haven't ran into another one yet.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Due to a physical problem, I had considered trading in my '07 on a Challenger SRT simply because of the auto trans offered in it. I can appreciate a nice car regardless of the make and the Challenger is a nice car. Went to 4 different Dodge dealerships. At every one, all of the people who worked at them that saw it had to go out and look at it and ask questions about it. It was easy to see that they were more impressed with it than the SRT's they were selling. Just thought it was pretty funny. Never could get a descent deal so I still have the Shelby with no plans to trade or sell now.

With all due respect to other Mustang owners, the GT500 just has that "WOW" factor that the others don't. I know that there are already new 5.0's that are faster than my car but to non Mustang owners, the 5.0's are just another Mustang regardless of the mods. I have entered 9 car shows and have taken 8 first place awards. I have seen Mustangs that had 3 times the money spent in mods that mine has, but the GT500 will still attract more attention at a car show. Nothing to do with a "better than you" attitude or anything like that, its just true. I feel lucky that I finally got to a point where I could afford a Shelby.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Recently I was at a stoplight in town on a busy divided 4-lane, and heard a faint female voice from a car somewhere nearby:

"Holy shit, there's a GT500!"

:)

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Yesterday I was cruising to meet up with some friends, had the top down of course...there were three crotch rockets riding behind me. I came to a stop sign, one of them sped up to my drivers side in the middle of the road...she said she loved my car, and loved my personalized plate too. (the plate reads as snake bit)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I showed up at my husbands work and one of their customers says to me.. Wow your son actually let's you drive his car? I laughed and said it was my car and he just looked stunned and said do you even know what that car is? Is said of course I know I picked it out.. He just kept going on and on are you sure you know what's under that hood... I shook my head and walked inside lol. Most other times I come out and some random guy is drooling around the car.. Oh and another guy said oh wow where do you get a car like that? I said dealership and drove off lol. At that time I still had dealer plates on the car. And another time was a cop in my area taking pics his partner was a girl and said if he causes you problems and touches the car we can start a case number against him now lol he then realized I was the owner and said my goodness I could only afford a gt and you have a gt500 hope you didn't mind me taking pics. I told him I didn't mind. The officers in my area are really nice and I know most of them. Its funny watching them pull over other people and I go driving by and they stop doing what they are doing and it's like slow motion stare as I go by lol. The funny part I find is you can find all exotic cars of every make and model everyday in my area but you never see a Shelby. I haven't ran into another one yet.
Same here. There are a few in town but rarely seen. When i picked mine up from the Mercedes dealer (they are owned by Ford dealer) they were keeping in inside because it was taking attention away from their $120K benzes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Recently I was at a stoplight in town on a busy divided 4-lane, and heard a faint female voice from a car somewhere nearby:

"Holy shit, there's a GT500!"

:)
LOL !! I Just Heard one of those tonight, sitting at the Light... :rofl:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Last night had two more interesting contacts;

The first one was a guy and girl pulled up to me at a light and said, "What the hell you got in that thing? It sounds like a car from NASCAR!" Well, at that point, I couldn't help but to say "thank you" and when the light turned green, I had to go through the gears!

The second contact was a bit disturbing. A guy on a small road bike, maybe a Shadow, or something like that, with a girl on the back comes up on the side of me at a pretty busy intersection. He says, "Hey Copper, you like speeding around in that little Mustang?" I figure he must have put it together by my plate which has a tribute to fallen police officers on the State Border. He then says, "I think you were going a bit fast back there." Well, before I could respond, the light turns green and he goes straight from the left turn only lane and almost t-bones a car turning left. Needless to say, this contact will go in the "idiot" column.

Again, the more I drive it, the more I am confident, you can't make this stuff up. :grinbiginvert:

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Tonight on my way to work... I was cruising along in the left lane... pretty much zipping past those in the right lane, not paying much mind. After a short while, I glanced in the rear-view just as a Mini jumped out of the right lane the instant I went past. Next thing I know, it's flashing it's lights and pretty much tailgating me. The next chance I got I pulled to the right lane, and they sped up next to me... a pair of chicks going nuts in the Mini giving me a thumbs up, they then dropped back and moved back into the right lane and settled back to their slower speed. :lol:

·
Registered
639 Posts
I live in West Los Angeles (near Beverly Hills), and Porches, Audi's, Ferrari's, Bentley's and even Bugatti's are normal fare for these streets, and I still get looks, comments and thumbs up, from kids adults and tourists.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
That's the same up north, I am neighbors with Stanford university and I have yet to see another Shelby but see all those other cars you posted daily. I don't mind the looks, the car deserves it :)

I live in West Los Angeles (near Beverly Hills), and Porches, Audi's, Ferrari's, Bentley's and even Bugatti's are normal fare for these streets, and I still get looks, comments and thumbs up, from kids adults and tourists.

1 - 20 of 1170 Posts