Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

Am I crazy thinking of trading my GT500 for a AC Cobra Replica??

2020+ 
8K views 119 replies 38 participants last post by  BlacknTan 
#1 ·
Just curious if any has had experience with Cobra replicas vs our GT500s. Don't get me wrong I love my 2020 GT500, but never drive the car to it's full potential. My track days are behind me, and now mostly just Sunday drives, cars and coffee get togethers etc.

I saw a beautiful Superperformance Cobra a few weeks back. It had a modern Coyote 5.0 with a Tremec 5sp and DAMN it just looked so cool. So now I have a bug to explore more.

Curious what the thoughts of this group, although I think I know the answer ahead of time. lol

Thanks in advance . . .

#2 ·
Pros and cons…

Those that have driven Cobra replicas report that they are crazy fun and sometimes downright scary (depending on power). It’s more of a “go cart vibe” than a large beastly car vibe.

The bigger cons as I see them are the replicas are getting stamped out daily whereas the 20-22 GT500 has a finite number in circulation. This alone will make the GT500 a better car for longer term values. It’s also worth mentioning that he who builds the Cobra usually takes it in the shorts when selling. Owner #2 does much better on a cost vs. fun factor, but there is enjoyment to be had in the build process.

So… would you use the Cobra more? Would it satisfy an itch and then sold for the next fun thing…?

#3 · (Edited)
If it really is just sunday drivng as you say, then the AC Cobra replica would bring me better "I feel great and look good" vibe as I drove it down to the coffee shop.

Personally, the GT500 fills that part of me that needs to sit in a powerful state of the art mean looking car, which the AC Cobra replica woud not satisfy.

If I could afford it and had the room for it, I'd have both, but it is not the reality I live in.

#7 ·
Depends on what you want to do with the car. If you want a car to drive around on sunny days and draw a conversation at every gas pump and stop light then the Cobra is the hands down winner. With all the modded mustangs out there your average person won't identify a GT500 from a modded Ecoboost. The Cobra doesn't suffer from this at all. With the side pipes burbling away, everyone knows it's something special.

If you want a reliable monster of a pony car that will handle well, start every day, and make a stupid amount of power while also putting that power down, then the GT500 is the better option.

I agree that the primary issue with many cobra kit cars is how they were built and not knowing what corners the prior owner cut in the process. With Backdraft that would be less of an issue as they're basically delivered turnkey for the owner and then it's just down to basic maintenance.

#25 ·
Very good point Brett!

#9 ·
I’ve driven many Cobra replicas and find them to be fun. I almost bought a Superformance (Gen3 Coyote) a couple years ago scratching an itch from my youth. Something was screaming at me to walk away and buy the 500 when I found one. I walked away and found my 500. If I had the cash to buy one that wouldn’t see 1k a year I might but I would never trade in my 500 for one.

#10 ·
All great replies thanks guy! As always great insight from this forum. I would definitely buy a built one as the depreciation hit has occurred. To make it even more frustrating is here in California it has to be registered as "1965" car or have a "SB101" Smog exemption sticker. So of course a car that has either of those goes for a pretty penny.

Just an itch for now but Hmmmm . . .
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

#13 · (Edited)
All great replies thanks guy! As always great insight from this forum. I would definitely buy a built one as the depreciation hit has occurred. To make it even more frustrating is here in California it has to be registered as "1965" car or have a "SB101" Smog exemption sticker. So of course a car that has either of those goes for a pretty penny.

Just an itch for now but Hmmmm . . .
View attachment 267925
Well if it were me... I would just reach around and SCRATCH that Itch... then turn back around, Look at the SHELBY, get in, start it, drive away with a big shit-ass Grin on my face !

#11 ·
2 totally different cars. My friend got his Superformance Cobra earlier this year with a Roush 427. Is an absolute animal!! Been on the track with him and it’s an experience like no other. As far as Superformance goes, it’s head and shoulders above some of the Cobra kit cars. Phenomenal build quality, perfect paint job, and excellent fit and finish. With all that being said, I’d personally stick with the 500. You’d probably have more opportunities to drive the 500, no putting the top on a Cobra.

#12 ·
Yeah the Superperformance seems to be the one to get in my price range. The aluminum body ones are north of $200K.
I never drive my 500 in the rain or wet roads for that matter. It's a true Sunday car. lol

#14 ·
Also another comment that my neighbor made is regarding the overall weather, and when you can have the car on the road. Being in FL if you aren't moving it's hot even with the A/C on so something to consider. Unless you are a vert guy then you might be used to it. For me, and my location I'll take a roof with ceramic tint all the way around.

#20 ·
Not sure I like the blackout package too much. Here’s my friends car.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car
Wheel Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

#21 ·
Oh one other point on this is also watching my neighbor get in the car didn't look comfortable at all. Like he slid in vertically and folded his legs in the process. Also I asked him how many times he burnt his leg on the muffler, and he said "one time." Not to mention those things are LOUD! Like your going to wake up your neighbor's in other counties loud. However, that might be want your going for so only you know the answer.

#22 ·
Bob, I have zero time driving a Cobra, original or replica. However, it seems to me a Cobra will be driven by you in the same manner as your GT500, so ???? trade. Maybe just to have something different or..........? So I feel your angst about making a trade. The Cobra is a beautiful, beast of a race car, but then my GT500 is too. Also, when I owned my '66 GT350S I never got my fill of driving her. Had I been able to afford two cars when my daughter was born I would have kept the GT350 and become a two car family. I feel the same about my '22 GT500. It's such a great piece of engineering and it performs SO WELL, that it's like a real flesh and blood extension of me. It's a genuine treat to just look at my GT500 and an absolute epic sensory overload to drive her. Thanks to all those in this thread who posted the wonderful Cobra photos.

#24 ·
@Zoo You've summed it up well. Maybe I'm just being fickle for sure. I tend to do that with my motorcycles. Lol If I could afford both that would be the answer. Maybe get a Twister Orange Cobra along side mine. lol

Thanks you everyone for the input. Half my buddies say "Your Crazy" the other half say "Do it life is short". I think they are both right! lol

#27 ·
Pictures truly don’t do it justice. He went back and forth several times before he decided on color and yeah, he loves gray cars. Lol. It was custom ordered and a 6 month build process turned into almost 18 months. He’s owned probably over 20 performance vehicles over the years and says the Cobra by far is his favorite.

#29 ·
  • Helpful
Reactions: blackcad55 and Zoo
#34 ·
I bought a new Backdraft Racing Cobra with Iconic 427 5 yrs ago. Worth checking them out. I would consider it in between a Superperformance and a Factory Five. Crazy fast and fun. Very impractical but fun. Sold it and use $ to buy my GT500. No regrets on selling it. That's my 2 cents.

#36 ·
Bob,
Any chance you have a friend close by that has a Cobra? If yes, maybe both of you swap cars for a weekend and you get a taste. For me, the Cobra has been on my list as far back as I can remember. I know others that have had a wide variety of amazing cars and they still look forward to owning a Cobra. You can’t blame them, it where all of this started. Keep us posted

#39 ·
I have been watching inventory from these guys in So Cal. They list the registration status and I assume can do the transfer or assist. They have some very nice cars for sure. Once the weather improves here I make take a ride down in the 500 to check them out.

#40 ·
If it were me,🤔🤔🤔🤔🙄🙄🙄 I’d have both!!!!! Oh wait…
Keep the GT500! Especially if it’s paid for. I’m building a Hi-Tech cobra right now. My 2020 CFTP is amazing and the only way I’d trade/sell for a cobra is a CSX car. Any of the 1000, 4000, 6000, 8000 series continuation cars built by Shelby American . Can’t afford anything else. Probably even selling the 500 I still couldn’t get one of those. The Hi-techs done right is as close as one can get. Superformance is after that. Two different animals, two different types of driving experiences. So gotta have both!!!🤣🤣🤣🤣

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.