Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Contacted Steeda on Monday and they are putting the finishing touches on a cold air intake system for the Shelby. SCT has a map our for the car right now. Steeda also has a exhaust system that will fit on the Shelby. It is an axle back system the same that they run on the Steeda Q car. I have never heard the Steeda exhaust but according to Pat at Steeda it is the bomb. He said it sounds great on the Steeda Stang.

The exhaust part number is: 40130040 for the Shelby. Depending on what I find out about this exhaust in the next week I may go ahead and order it and have it waiting. If I can beleive the dealer I should have mine at the end of July or 1st of August at the latest...."this was his exact words"

I plan on some mods so I will post up on this site.

Bill

·
Registered
888 Posts
I just got off the phone with C & L Performance asking about their status on a cold air system. They were expecting their local dealer to get a pre-production Shelby, but that didn't happen, so they are not were they wanted to be production wise. He mentioned that they hoped to have a model to unveil at the MCA 30th Anniversary Stampede at the end of the month.

Highlites of the conversation were 75 hp at rear wheels, two packages (one slightly milder than the other) that include supercharger pulleys. Both packages will result in similar hp increase, but the big one will target torque increase more than the other one. I didn't think to ask about the warranty being voided.

I offered for him to come to Charleston and use my Shelby! Ha!

He said that they would be updating their site about it, but didn't say when.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Good Info... The air-intake and remap will be the eastiest mod, especially if you have to undo it for warranty issues. Now pulley change that would require allot more work to switch back and forth if you have warranty issues. Can't wait for the air-intake & programmer :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Did anyone mention that a decent CAI is good for 1.5lbs of boost? combined with a tune you can hit nearly 500rwhp. If you run a little race gas and a few extra degrees of timing its possible to go over 500rwhp.

Oh and these cars should pick up 20rwhp with a good break in. Most of the cars that we are seeing dyno #s from now have very few miles on them.

·
Premium Member
11,033 Posts
I just got off the phone with C & L Performance asking about their status on a cold air system. They were expecting their local dealer to get a pre-production Shelby, but that didn't happen, so they are not were they wanted to be production wise. He mentioned that they hoped to have a model to unveil at the MCA 30th Anniversary Stampede at the end of the month.

Highlites of the conversation were 75 hp at rear wheels, two packages (one slightly milder than the other) that include supercharger pulleys. Both packages will result in similar hp increase, but the big one will target torque increase more than the other one. I didn't think to ask about the warranty being voided.

I offered for him to come to Charleston and use my Shelby! Ha!

He said that they would be updating their site about it, but didn't say when.

Have you seen this guy?
http://www.paulshp.com/

bj

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hello All,

Today Sept 5, 2006 I talked to C&LPerformance and Steeda about an air intake system. C&L was waiting on someone to bring them a Shelby, well they finally got their hands on one to play with so according to C&L they are expecting one in November with a custom Tune of course. Now Steeda told me they are working on one as well and they hope to have it in 2 months (8 weeks). Normally you need to add a month or so when they tell you that.

Steeda does have right now a custom tune for the Shelby which according to the email they sent me is worth 35 - 40 hp. Another company which is big into this is http://www.alternativeauto.com/ check out that website they have some good info on a custom tune. Cost is $ 389.00 plus shipping. They use SCT programmer, they also lean toward C&L performance cold air intakes so when C&L does have one and they get their hands on it they will make another map for those who purchase the map and tuner now. They have a hand full of Shelbys right now running around with this map in it and have no problems. Since they are in MI any of you guys that are there could even drive to their shop if it is close. We have speed shops here but nobody that specializes in Fords like this shop does.

I am not sure personally if I should wait for the air-intake or get the tuner now, and which company should I be getting it from so far 3 compaines the link above (paulshp) (steeda) and alternativeauto. If anyone out there gets a tuner or has some hard facts on this subject please give an update.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This was working on me all day so I decided to call Steeda. Before I begin I want to clairfy why I am calling Steeda. There are at least a half of dozen or more compaines that have a custom tune for our Shelbys however I don't have any history with any of them so I am starting from scratch. Going to all these website and hearing that their tune does this and that.. I believe they are are speaking the truth. However I think Steeda is more in bed with Ford than any other company and because of this I feel this is the company I want to deal with. Other companies claim to make more power with their tune than Steeda but like the guy at Steeda told me there tune is not always making the most power but it is a tune that they have tested and signed off on that will make the most power without putting you at engine risk or running you on the bleeding engine where you might have an engine failure in 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 years. Now I know anyone can tell you what ever but I tend to believe what he was saying. I found another company that claims their tune is worth 40 to 50 hp but that would be the tune that has everything at max and that is just a little scary for a 40K plus vehicle that I don't want to put a new motor in.
I ask the tech will I feel the difference after the tune, he laughed and said Oh Yes 35 to 40 more horses and up to 45-50ft-lbs torque he said you will notice it in every gear and every rpm range. They are working on a cold air-intake like I said before and this is what happens, if you buy the SCT programmer now and tune you enjoy the HP right now, once they come out with a Cold Air Intake than you have to send your programmer back to them and they would add another tune to it when using their air-intake. The programmer can hold the factory map, plus 2 others so you are covered in whatever you do. So once I get some more miles on my car (only got 367miles) on it I am going to go with their map. He also said that I did not have to wait to put more miles on it to use the map but I would just like to get 1000 on it to make sure no issues before hit the computer. Hopefully will have 1000 on it by October or November....I need to drive it instead of just looking at it. I will as always post up once I do it.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Hey, C & L Performance just called me about their Cold Air Kits! I called them yesterday and left a message and they returned the call!

They are closing in on the final designs, next week or so will have test units. They still don't have a test car, but are expecting it shortly. They will be testing mid to late November and are hoping to be in full production by Thanksgiving. My short hand is bad, so take all that with a grain of salt!

I mentioned earlier that the two configurations I was first told of both contained pulley changes. I specifically asked if all of their kits would include pulley changes and was basically told that there would be options for everyone.

I asked if they would consider writing something in an email to me so I could get the facts straight and open it up to our forum and I think that will happen. If they get something to me I will post it right away. They are anxious to get something out there for the GT500 owners as soon as possible.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Hey, C & L Performance just called me about their Cold Air Kits! I called them yesterday and left a message and they returned the call!

They are closing in on the final designs, next week or so will have test units. They still don't have a test car, but are expecting it shortly. They will be testing mid to late November and are hoping to be in full production by Thanksgiving. My short hand is bad, so take all that with a grain of salt!

I mentioned earlier that the two configurations I was first told of both contained pulley changes. I specifically asked if all of their kits would include pulley changes and was basically told that there would be options for everyone.

I asked if they would consider writing something in an email to me so I could get the facts straight and open it up to our forum and I think that will happen. If they get something to me I will post it right away. They are anxious to get something out there for the GT500 owners as soon as possible.

Thats great news.I would like one also but waiting so I don't get a lemon.I will let them work the bugs out.Keep us posted .

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I 2nd that, the air intake will not have the issues, typically just a tube and depending on the Mass Air Sensor location should be straight forward... at least has been on other mustangs that I have used them. The real deal will be the the tuner. In the past they have been a big predator shop but since they have used Lidio Iacobelli of Alternative Auto for some tunes we might get the SCT programmer as a combo. You will need to remap or you will be running at a ratio around 13 or 14% which is dangerous. I am guessing that the air intake / tuner combo will be around $ 700.00 which is normal and well worth it. Rumor of 60+ HP with a safe tune nothing that is going to blow your motor is money well spent.

Also Steeda is working on the same combo. Both are great compaines, will just have to see what each is offering. I would like to see them both have one before I lay my money down. Hopefully others will be purchasing this. I hate being the only one on the bleeding edge :)

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I 2nd that, the air intake will not have the issues, typically just a tube and depending on the Mass Air Sensor location should be straight forward... at least has been on other mustangs that I have used them. The real deal will be the the tuner. In the past they have been a big predator shop but since they have used Lidio Iacobelli of Alternative Auto for some tunes we might get the SCT programmer as a combo. You will need to remap or you will be running at a ratio around 13 or 14% which is dangerous. I am guessing that the air intake / tuner combo will be around $ 700.00 which is normal and well worth it. Rumor of 60+ HP with a safe tune nothing that is going to blow your motor is money well spent.

Also Steeda is working on the same combo. Both are great compaines, will just have to see what each is offering. I would like to see them both have one before I lay my money down. Hopefully others will be purchasing this. I hate being the only one on the bleeding edge :)

Busababy,
I will be right there with you.I will have 6 months to look and work on my Shelby during the nasty months.I am sure when she comes out of hibernation she will be a little more mature.You know the RED SHELBYS are the fastest and this will just solidify that fact.Don't worry Busababy I won't let you get to bloody............................07.....................................

·
Premium Member
11,033 Posts

http://secure-order-area.net/paulshp/cgi-bin/webstorecgi/webstore.cgi?page=900020&type=&frame=&cart_id=8496054_22394

bj

·
Registered
287 Posts
I called C&L, they told me the design was months away and to look for it in the mags when it came out (I asked them if there was a waiting list or if I should call back to check).

·
Banned
70 Posts
I dont plan on doing any re-tuning soon but have a question if and when i do. Will using a different tune leave any kind of log where Ford can find that a different tune was applied to the engine.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I called C&L, they told me the design was months away and to look for it in the mags when it came out (I asked them if there was a waiting list or if I should call back to check).
They called me Friday and told me they expect to be in full production by Thanksgiving. My short hand was not off on that part! It was a lady that returned the call and she said that she would turn the request for the email summary over to "Lee" who I assume is one of the design guys. I wasn't given any promises though.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I dont plan on doing any re-tuning soon but have a question if and when i do. Will using a different tune leave any kind of log where Ford can find that a different tune was applied to the engine.
I only have experience with one Predator tune that I put on my Mustang GT along with the C&L Cold Air System. And that was way back last year! If you are unfamiliar with the way the tuner works, it stores the factory tune in the tuner and gives you certain options that you can change. Mine had two options to go along with the C&L System, 91 and 93 Octane. Oh, and it will let you do stuff like cut off the limiters and traction control and allow for exhaust and underdrive pulleys and such.

I have to believe that if you take it back to Ford and they hook up to the computer, it will be easy for them to see you have a custom tune there. It was explained to me that if you suspect that they will be hooking up the computer, uninstall your cold air and reflash with your stock tune. That way, if they have come up with an upgrade or anything, your stock tune will be upgraded. Then you store that stock tune on your tuner and so on.

·
Banned
70 Posts
I only have experience with one Predator tune that I put on my Mustang GT along with the C&L Cold Air System. And that was way back last year! If you are unfamiliar with the way the tuner works, it stores the factory tune in the tuner and gives you certain options that you can change. Mine had two options to go along with the C&L System, 91 and 93 Octane. Oh, and it will let you do stuff like cut off the limiters and traction control and allow for exhaust and underdrive pulleys and such.

I have to believe that if you take it back to Ford and they hook up to the computer, it will be easy for them to see you have a custom tune there. It was explained to me that if you suspect that they will be hooking up the computer, uninstall your cold air and reflash with your stock tune. That way, if they have come up with an upgrade or anything, your stock tune will be upgraded. Then you store that stock tune on your tuner and so on.

thanks Oldimp. But even if you put the old tune back on will there be a log made somewhere in the system that will show the tune tune was ever changed?

1 - 20 of 209 Posts