Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m about to upgrade my stock intake to a JLT CAI and keep seeing a difference in terms of size on the air filters. I noticed some come with a 5x7 and some come with a 5x9. Exact same filter just different sizes. I was wondering if there would be any noticeable differences between the two in a 2014 gt500

·
Premium Member
2014 Ruby Red Shelby GT500
575 Posts
I have a 5x7 filter and have been looking for the 5x9. Practically impossible to find. Not sure why JLT went to the wimpy smaller filter. The claim btw is no change in performance

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m about to upgrade my stock intake to a JLT CAI and keep seeing a difference in terms of size on the air filters. I noticed some come with a 5x7 and some come with a 5x9. Exact same filter just different sizes. I was wondering if there would be any noticeable differences between the two in a 2014 gt500
Weird it seems like most of the kits I have found online come with the 5x9. If there’s hardly a difference I’ll probably go with the larger one.

·
Registered
Numerous
1,640 Posts
I doubt there's any noticeable performance difference. That said, JLT's 123mm/127mm intakes originally came with 5"x9" S&B Powerstack Air Filters.

There were a couple of lengthy threads about suitable filter replacements leading up to a Group Buy for AIRAID (#703-496) dry blue "Synthamax" replacements I ran several years ago. For reasons that escape me, they discontinued the blue version but (last I knew) still make the red version (formerly #700-496; now, apparently, #701-496). At the time, they could and would still produce blue versions @ $120/ea for orders of less than 10 units and $95/ea for 10 or more. Good luck!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
41,976 Posts
I doubt there's any noticeable performance difference. That said, JLT's 123mm/127mm intakes originally came with 5"x9" S&B Powerstack Air Filters.

There were a couple of lengthy threads about suitable filter replacements leading up to a Group Buy for AIRAID (#703-496) dry blue "Synthamax" replacements I ran several years ago. For reasons that escape me, they discontinued the blue version but (last I knew) still make the red version (formerly #700-496; now, apparently, #701-496). At the time, they could and would still produce blue versions @ $120/ea for orders of less than 10 units and $95/ea for 10 or more. Good luck!
Please click your upper right avatar/account settings/vehicle details and enter your car year. It then shows under your screen name, which helps in conversations here. We cover multiple years of the GT500 on this forum.

·
Registered
2010 Kona Blue VMP Gen2R
219 Posts
Just for info...for the S&B filters for the JLT 123mm CAI

I bought several of both colors and paid around $60 for each,,,have to really shop around for best price and free shipping.

I still have all of them and clean several at a time. They clean up and are reuseable without any issues. You can even change the color once you clean them up.
The 5x9 just fits in the enclosure in my 2010...I wouldn't want one any bigger.

I have used multiple vendor oils on them with no real difference in coverage or outcome. Use the amount listed at bottom. You should use a liquid oil, no spray.

Red Filter R1274 S&B part number

Blue Filter R1302 S&B part number

Flange ID: 5"
Flange Height: 1"
Top Width: 5.6"
Base Width: 8"
Element Height: 9"
Type Of Top: Power Stack - Black Rim With S&B Logo
Type Of Media: Cleanable 8 layer cotton oiled
Type Of Flange: Advanced Airflow W/ Step
87 grams oil plus 7 grams power stack

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500, SGM, " 1 of 1 "
5,492 Posts
( www.afepower.com )..........Under the products tab @ the top, choose " build your own ", it lists several filter heights, 7, 7.5, 8, 9, 10, etc..I have had good service out of their products. & I know they outflow FRPP filters.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just for info...for the S&B filters for the JLT 123mm CAI

I bought several of both colors and paid around $60 for each,,,have to really shop around for best price and free shipping.

I still have all of them and clean several at a time. They clean up and are reuseable without any issues. You can even change the color once you clean them up.
The 5x9 just fits in the enclosure in my 2010...I wouldn't want one any bigger.

I have used multiple vendor oils on them with no real difference in coverage or outcome. Use the amount listed at bottom. You should use a liquid oil, no spray.

Red Filter R1274 S&B part number

Blue Filter R1302 S&B part number

Flange ID: 5"
Flange Height: 1"
Top Width: 5.6"
Base Width: 8"
Element Height: 9"
Type Of Top: Power Stack - Black Rim With S&B Logo
Type Of Media: Cleanable 8 layer cotton oiled
Type Of Flange: Advanced Airflow W/ Step
87 grams oil plus 7 grams power stack
You are the man! Thanks for all the info. I thought I would never find the oil loading on the discontinued 5x9 filter. The claim is that the 5x7 has more airflow, but I seriously doubt that. 2" shorter and no filter cone on top, just solid rubber. Tried a 5x7 on my 13 GT500 and it was rough as hell on startup/idle so returning them.

·
Registered
2010 Grabber Blue GT500
40 Posts
I did the JLT with the AirRaid filter...
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Premium Member
2014 Ruby Red Shelby GT500
575 Posts
Where can I find that fuse box cover with the carbon fiber look and a Cobra emblem on it? Been looking and can't seem to locate that style, which is what I want.
I got the snake from a used gt500 grill.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts