Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to install a agm battery(2013), just wondering if anyone has done this?
If so what series battery did you use and what modifications are needed to get this to work.

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,319 Posts
I use them in my quads. They're quite resilient in that application. I saw pics from PRI that showed a Motorcraft battery that was AGM and looked to be the right size for our cars, but the part number didn't turn anything up. I'm going to keep trying until it does.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500 Coupe, Triple Black
1,682 Posts
I'm looking to install a agm battery(2013), just wondering if anyone has done this?
If so what series battery did you use and what modifications are needed to get this to work.
+1

I use them in my quads. They're quite resilient in that application. I saw pics from PRI that showed a Motorcraft battery that was AGM and looked to be the right size for our cars, but the part number didn't turn anything up. I'm going to keep trying until it does.
My son and I are quite happy with Northstar AGMs in our trucks - in addition to their durability, they offer much higher CCA and Reserve Capacity than OEM.

I saw (what I'm guessing was) the same pic (in the "other forum") and had the same thought...

According to Ford, however, the battery (#BAGM-48H6-760) doesn't fit our cars. I haven't looked to see how tight the battery tray and available space are, but measurements and physical configurations are a little different...

- Group 96R (OEM) batteries are about 9.5" x 7" x 7"

- Group H6 batteries are about 11" x 7" x 7.5"

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I also came across the h6. The extra height makes me nervous that's why i was asking if anyone has done this. I technically think it should work, don't know if any mods are necessary.

·
Premium Member
7,319 Posts
If the 7" dimension is depth, I think it will work. If the 7.5" dimension is height, I don't think it will be an issue; however, the battery hold down strap may compromised. I'm sure there are ways to skin that cat.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the 7" dimension is depth, I think it will work. If the 7.5" dimension is height, I don't think it will be an issue; however, the battery hold down strap may compromised. I'm sure there are ways to skin that cat.
MY BAD, IF IT WERE 11H WOULD HAVE TO CUT A HOLE IN THE HOOD:grin:
YEAH I THINK I'M GOING TO GIVE IT A TRY. I'LL KEEP YOU GUY'S POSTED ON HOW IT GOES.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
The battery specs I reviewed list Length, Width, and Height. IIRC, the 7"-7.5" measurements were width (what I'd call FRONT-TO-BACK "depth") and height (self-explanatory), while the 9.5"-11" measurements were length (what I'd call SIDE-TO-SIDE "width"). Clear as mud? :nerd:

FWIW, I agree with your "hold down strap" concern.

MY BAD, IF IT WERE 11H WOULD HAVE TO CUT A HOLE IN THE HOOD:grin:
YEAH I THINK I'M GOING TO GIVE IT A TRY. I'LL KEEP YOU GUY'S POSTED ON HOW IT GOES.
Definitely not 11" tall, so I think your hood is safe. I look forward to updates...

I have to think 11" is the width. :grin:
Definitely!

·
Premium Member
7,319 Posts
Let me use front to back, since that's a bit more obvious when width or depth. But if our measurement is 7" for front to back, if what I'm reading is correct, the larger battery is 7.5" front to back, I don't think it will fit in the tray. I need to charge my battery this week, just because I hadn't been running the car, so I will take it out and measure the battery box. I think after almost seven years, my battery has got to be giving up the ghost sooner or later.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think it will be a drop in, i will have to mod the tray for sure. But if not that bad i'll do it.
I'll let you know how it goes. I ordered the battery and should change it this weekend--

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Let me use front to back, since that's a bit more obvious when width or depth. But if our measurement is 7" for front to back, if what I'm reading is correct, the larger battery is 7.5" front to back, I don't think it will fit in the tray. I need to charge my battery this week, just because I hadn't been running the car, so I will take it out and measure the battery box. I think after almost seven years, my battery has got to be giving up the ghost sooner or later.
I have yet to find measurements specific to Ford's (BXT-96R-590 and BAGM-48H6-760) batteries. The dimensions I listed came from reviewing Group 96R and Group 48/H6 batteries from other manufacturers (e.g., Interstate and Northstar) but, by definition, they should be pretty close. IIRC, Length (side-to-side) was my biggest concern...
- BXT-96R-590 (OEM) should be 9.5" Long (side-to-side) x 6.94" Wide (front-to-back) x 6.94" High
- BAGM-48H6-760 should be 11" Long (side-to-side) x 6.94" Wide (front-to-back) x 7.5" High

Other possibilities include...
- Interstate's MTX-48/H6, with its 11" Long (side-to-side) x 6.88" Wide (front-to-back) x 7.5" High dimensions
- Northstar's NSB-AGM48/L3, with its 10.91" Long (side-to-side) x 6.87" Wide (front-to-back) x 7.42" High dimensions

·
Premium Member
7,319 Posts
I know there is a little wiggle room front to back and a lot, side to side. But once the hold down wedge is in place it may change that measurement. I'll try to measure as precisely as I can.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so trimmed the tray sides, the 48H6 fit no problem. The problem is the height, can't close the hood by probably 1/4" . There is plenty of room if the tray was not so tall. So calling on anyone who knows of a flat tray that fits our cars.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Ok so trimmed the tray sides, the 48H6 fit no problem. The problem is the height, can't close the hood by probably 1/4" . There is plenty of room if the tray was not so tall. So calling on anyone who knows of a flat tray that fits our cars.
Interesting. Is it really only about 1/2" taller than the original BXT-96R-590, or were the measurements I found inaccurate? Surprised the height tolerance is so tight.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, it's about 1/2" taller in total, but hood clearance is the problem mostly by the negative terminal.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I don't have any info on other battery trays, but it looks like a Group 47 battery fits. AGMs availability seems somewhat limited, and most appear to offer only marginally more power (i.e., CA, Reserve Capacity, etc) than the stock lead-acid battery.

·
Registered
32 Posts
From my research the advantages for AGM over lead-acid are primarily that it is a sealed battery meaning zero maintenance. It also survives discharge much better than a lead-acid, more like a deep cycle marine battery in that regard.

Since my cars seem to sit a lot (I take a commuter train to work) I am continually having issues with my batteries getting discharged frequently and subsequently failing early. A battery minder is only really an option for the Shelby as it takes the garage stall, but my truck and GT sit outside so not really a good option. I put one in my truck about 6 months ago and it's working great. When I need to replace the Shelby's I'll be looking at AGM so this thread is a great resource! Please post updates and pics!

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will update as soon as I can. It's a wee bit cold here in Chicago right now. But I will keep you guys posted when I have a chance to change it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts