Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new to the site.. i have a 2010 gt500 with a cat back magna flow exhaust .. looking to install my new "high flow" magna flow spun cat back x pipe. will this make a difference over the stock pipe? very little info i have but i figure a after market pipe has to be better than stock.. just not sure how much better..

if someone could let me know that would be great

oddball

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,676 Posts
new to the site.. i have a 2010 gt500 with a cat back magna flow exhaust .. looking to install my new "high flow" magna flow spun cat back x pipe. will this make a difference over the stock pipe? very little info i have but i figure a after market pipe has to be better than stock.. just not sure how much better..

oddball
Welcome to the forum oddball!

I moved your posts to their own thread. An X-pipe will generally sound raspier versus the muscle car burble of an H-pipe. It will flow a little better with less restrictions and a larger diameter, but you may not notice much difference other than the sound.

On a different note, you’ll find our new member area here:

·
Premium Member
2008 Metalic Vista Blue Convertible
5,625 Posts
Very little positive will come of your change, very little.
The exhaust note or 'tone' will become a bit more 'raspy' (not really a good thing to most people)
You may also start seeing 'fault' codes (again mot such a good thing)
About the most positive thing will be you will be helping the economy by spending money to do it $$$, and then again to fix and/or undo it $$$, so thanks for that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my tuner will/ should adjust the codes... i am disappointed with the out look of not much of a difference.. i thought it would help the car breath a bit better with the pulley, throttle body, and intake upgrade i am about to do..

i guess i will have to hear the "raspiness" and see if it is to my liking.. if the sound is more of a aggressive note then i will for sure like it.. if it will make it more silent then i won't.. the place where i bough the pipes did not offer a H pipe configuration .. perhaps "cause" should speak with the and keep commerce going..

i am not sure how i feel about my purchase now.. hummmmmmm?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
or do i send it back and buy a cat delete x pipe and code out the error code. ? confused ODDBALL is..

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
If you are goign to keep the cats keep the stock cats. If you're getting up over 650whp and intend to do something like 1/2 mile pulls you'll either want to ditch the cats altogether to keep from melting them or look into something like Kooks longtube headers and their associated X or H pipe with their "Green" cats. The green cats hold up better to prolonged exposure to high hp setups than any of the other "high flow cats" out there. The downside is they are priced accordingly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am not going with headers anytime soon.. looking to get a yes no answer on the question at hand.. as a rule anything over stock is a better option. since auto makers put the cheapest cost items to get units sold.. take the shifter in the 07-01 gt500 they just suck loose and sloppy..

and the tires fancy name but not really a good tire... the intake good nut not the best that could have been used..

etc etc

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,676 Posts
i am not going with headers anytime soon.. looking to get a yes no answer on the question at hand.. as a rule anything over stock is a better option. since auto makers put the cheapest cost items to get units sold.. take the shifter in the 07-01 gt500 they just suck loose and sloppy..

and the tires fancy name but not really a good tire... the intake good nut not the best that could have been used..

etc etc
i thought it would help the car breath a bit better with the pulley, throttle body, and intake upgrade i am about to do..
I agree that aftermarket parts are quite often better than the OEM stuff. The pulley/intake/throttle body/tune is a common upgrade with these cars and it will liven-up your car quite a bit. Since you already have an aftermarket catback setup but you are interested in the x-pipe, might as well get that too and give it a try. Everyone has different tastes and you might just love the sound of the x-pipe. Like I said above, it will most likely flow a bit better. For what it’s worth, the upcoming 2020 GT500 has an x-pipe setup vs. an h.

Mod away and enjoy the process!

·
Registered
2,234 Posts

etc etc
I would say this is the one situation where that isn't the case. Ford has to meet governmental standards for reliability and functionality of the vehicle's emission devices including the catalytic converters and they have to warranty that for years. Aftermarket companies are under no requirement to do the same. The factory cats become an issue above 650hp and doing long pulls. Sure the factory cats aren't good for high horsepower and flow, but they won't fail. If it were me doing it again I'd follow the age old adage of buy once cry once or be prepared to do what I did which wasplaying mix and match to build a catless system that wasn't deafening.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts

oddball

Stock Cats are better, leave them on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ah well i am doing it anyway.. it is a cheap and easy swap to do.. my tuner guy says it is a felony to remove them completely.. shelby america only puts headers on the shelby 1000. so headers are could be a huge waste off money and time.. who really uses 1000hpp anyway for street use.. even sammy hagar in the song can't drive 55 gets nails by the cops.. so what i am about to do is good enough for me give me mid 5" rwhp any day!

going catless is a big risk not to mention will for sure get error codes that a honorable tuner would not want to erase. we all say they don't make cars anymore that we can work on.. well the 07-14 could possibly be the last :(

i will let all of you know even if i get a little positive change to me that is all that matters... or i will for sure go back to the people who sold them and let them know!

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
You will get a positive change, maybe 10-15hp or so, but it will also come with the downside of a massive change in noise. When i went from the factory catted x-pipe to a catless x-pipe I couldn't feel any seat of the pants difference on my car.

Plenty of other mods to do first typically that don't have the downside. Also enjoy that passenger side o2 sensor. If I never have to mess with that sensor again I'll be perfectly fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the new catted x pipe is Jb. Yes it is much louder than stock pipes. Has some
Snaps and very nice pops! I don’t think it is overly raspy. If I were to say it sounds dam flat out mean!!

Not to mention it is way lighter than the stock heavyweights. No error codes. Gave some boost and still no codes.

8 out of 10! ODDBALLS!

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Didnt realize it was catted. That will help some with the noise. Freer flowing exhaust should reduce boost, not add its but without a separate standalone boost gauge you won't know for sure. The factory gauge in the dash is nearly meaningless as it only assumes a boost pressure based on overall airflow, rpm, and throttle position.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts