Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I was reading some articles about how the gt500s have mics inside of the vehicle that cancel out unwanted sound ect.
I was jw if this occurs for both the tech package and the non tech package?
furthermore, ive heard the BO sound system is not quite up to snuff for the $3000 upgrade, any opnions on this? Also, Nav isnt important and the puddle lights in my opinion are cool but not necessary for me.

My strategy would be to put that money into some aftermarket sound whilst adding dynamat instead of adding the tech package. Will the vehicle cease to noise cancel ? i plan on keeping a factory radio , then adding amps and a device for better tuning the sound. I want the ride to be as quiet/factory as possible when cruising but also have the ability to bang some tunes.

Does anyone have opinion or experience with these systems/upgrading?

·
Premium Member
2012/2013 Hybrid
7,351 Posts
Damn, with lighter wheels and no back seat, that wing must weigh a couple hundred pounds to tip the scales that much.

·
Registered
2020 GT500
297 Posts
The biggest issue would be integrating aftermarket into the Ford system. I’m not familiar with Ford, but if it’s anything like Dodge’s UConnect, it can be a headache and flakey during use on occasion. Head unit compatibility and steering wheel control issues to name a few. There is something to having a nice factory fit and finish with no “spliced in harnesses”. With that said, if you’re an audiophile like me you’ll be sorely disappointed with the BO system. I’ve had Dodge’s for the last 15 years and the latest iteration of UConnect/Harmon Kardon sound system absolutely blows away the mYsync/BO system. I was sorely disappointed at the sound quality. I’ve installed custom systems in many vehicles and have one now in my old E39 M5, but have stayed away from touching these newer vehicles because of how the head unit is engaged with the “ECU”. Is the BO better than stock? I imagine it is. Of course, you can build a much better system for the money. But I don’t know if it’s worth it in a track focused car like this one?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The biggest issue would be integrating aftermarket into the Ford system. I’m not familiar with Ford, but if it’s anything like Dodge’s UConnect, it can be a headache and flakey during use on occasion. Head unit compatibility and steering wheel control issues to name a few. There is something to having a nice factory fit and finish with no “spliced in harnesses”. With that said, if you’re an audiophile like me you’ll be sorely disappointed with the BO system. I’ve had Dodge’s for the last 15 years and the latest iteration of UConnect/Harmon Kardon sound system absolutely blows away the mYsync/BO system. I was sorely disappointed at the sound quality. I’ve installed custom systems in many vehicles and have one now in my old E39 M5, but have stayed away from touching these newer vehicles because of how the head unit is engaged with the “ECU”. Is the BO better than stock? I imagine it is. Of course, you can build a much better system for the money. But I don’t know if it’s worth it in a track focused car like this one?
I just planned on keeping it simple. It’s amazing what you can do with an amp, 4
Speakers with tweeters and a small sub, and proper tuning even when going through a factory radio. That’s what I’ve done in the past with my cars and has worked great. I was thinking if the tech package is worth it and the BO system is good I’d leave it alone but I was hearing it’s just OK. Wanted to confirm either way. I have the BO in the 19 raptor.. it’s just alright I guess. Not bad but not impressive. Was hoping to get the best value and if I can save the 3 grand I could put the money elsewhere or in something aftermarket and simple.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 Base RR
319 Posts
Personally I hate everything about the tech package except for the blind spot monitors. I wanted to skip it, but ordered it for those. The stereo is fine, but nothing is going to overpower the enjoyment of the exhaust

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ye
Personally I hate everything about the tech package except for the blind spot monitors. I wanted to skip it, but ordered it for those. The stereo is fine, but nothing is going to overpower the enjoyment of the exhaust
Yes good point I have felt that way also about the exhaust , I noticed in my raptor I’m not fully in love with the blind spot monitors and do prefer the small Mirrors of trucks.. Maybe I’m not training myself to fully trust the yellow light. I still feel I have almost ran over someone when switching lanes on my drivers side a couple times even with the monitors going lol

·
Registered
2021 GT500 Base RR
319 Posts
Ye

Yes good point I have felt that way also about the exhaust , I noticed in my raptor I’m not fully in love with the blind spot monitors and do prefer the small Mirrors of trucks.. Maybe I’m not training myself to fully trust the yellow light. I still feel I have almost ran over someone when switching lanes on my drivers side a couple times even with the monitors going lol
I don’t have a Raptor but have the same motor as you in my truck, I can’t say enough how much I missed the sound of a V8. I love the quickness of the 3.5HO, but the sound leaves something to be desired compared to a true V8

The blind spot monitors have saved my butt a few times, with the tiny GT500 mirrors I think it will be really helpful

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
517 Posts
Well if you are just looking at replacing speakers and running output through additional amps you could probably get away with something.
I don't know where the mics are or how they integrate into the system to know if that would mess anything up.

However --- the noise cancelling system operates even with the radio off.
The way it works is it listens and plays matching opposite waves back to cancel out the undesirable sounds.
So if you amp the output of the noise cancelling, would the mics be able to understand and compensate? Or would you end up blasting the harmonics that it's designed to cancel at a higher power than the original --- that would, I assume, mean your speakers would be constantly producing the sound that it's designed to get rid of --- because it would no longer match and cancel.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
31,646 Posts
hey guys, I was reading some articles about how the gt500s have mics inside of the vehicle that cancel out unwanted sound ect.
I was jw if this occurs for both the tech package and the non tech package?
furthermore, ive heard the BO sound system is not quite up to snuff for the $3000 upgrade, any opnions on this? Also, Nav isnt important and the puddle lights in my opinion are cool but not necessary for me.

My strategy would be to put that money into some aftermarket sound whilst adding dynamat instead of adding the tech package. Will the vehicle cease to noise cancel ? i plan on keeping a factory radio , then adding amps and a device for better tuning the sound. I want the ride to be as quiet/factory as possible when cruising but also have the ability to bang some tunes.

Does anyone have opinion or experience with these systems/upgrading?
Yes, the new GT500 has ANR built into the stereo:

As for the B&O stereo, I am actually a fan. I crank up the hard rock/metal and dig the sound!

·
Registered
2020 GT500
297 Posts
I just planned on keeping it simple. It’s amazing what you can do with an amp, 4
Speakers with tweeters and a small sub, and proper tuning even when going through a factory radio. That’s what I’ve done in the past with my cars and has worked great. I was thinking if the tech package is worth it and the BO system is good I’d leave it alone but I was hearing it’s just OK. Wanted to confirm either way. I have the BO in the 19 raptor.. it’s just alright I guess. Not bad but not impressive. Was hoping to get the best value and if I can save the 3 grand I could put the money elsewhere or in something aftermarket and simple.
Keeping it simple works. LOC or if you have an amp with high level inputs to grab a signal and then splice into the factory speaker wires from the amp, and boom there you go. Hell, you can probably swap in some lower impedance jbl/infinity speakers and use the factory amp, then run a single monoblock amp just for a sub.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don’t have a Raptor but have the same motor as you in my truck, I can’t say enough how much I missed the sound of a V8. I love the quickness of the 3.5HO, but the sound leaves something to be desired compared to a true V8

The blind spot monitors have saved my butt a few times, with the tiny GT500 mirrors I think it will be really helpful
I have no complaints at all with the 3.5HO! The gen3 engine will be improved and sound a lot better! I’ve never complained once about this except the sound but I’m over that. It’s a blast for this truck

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
31,646 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012/2013 Hybrid
7,351 Posts
As I understand it, the tech package also includes the blind spot indicators and the cross-traffic alert. I have both of these in my truck and while they were part of a "package" and not individually priced, I find them both to be awesome features I'd sooner have than not. I've not driven a later mustang, but my Shelby leaves a lot to be desired in determining what's beside you or behind you. And yes, I'm old too, dammit. As for upgrading the sound system, perhaps if the car itself had a "tomb like" cabin where it could be enjoyed, but it would be a waste of time and effort in my current car. It emits too much road and exhaust noise to appreciate some level of sound quality.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
19 Posts
I honestly think the bo in my gt500 sounds pretty good. Pretty good is relative to what you have heard in the past and what your expectations are though. I think overall it works well and plays clearly and cleanly enough in my high performance sports car so I’m happy with it. Understand that I have a Bowers and Wilkens system in my bmw x7 m50i which obviously is way way better but that was a stand alone 3400 dollar option just for the sound system. So I mean for three grand in the tech package asking with the bo I’m happy with it. 😁

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
517 Posts
As I understand it, the tech package also includes the blind spot indicators and the cross-traffic alert. I have both of these in my truck and while they were part of a "package" and not individually priced, I find them both to be awesome features I'd sooner have than not. I've not driven a later mustang, but my Shelby leaves a lot to be desired in determining what's beside you or behind you. And yes, I'm old too, dammit. As for upgrading the sound system, perhaps if the car itself had a "tomb like" cabin where it could be enjoyed, but it would be a waste of time and effort in my current car. It emits too much road and exhaust noise to appreciate some level of sound quality.
I like the blind spot indicators, but I do wish it also had the blind spot mirrors my '13 did --- the '20 has a fairly significant blind spot, and I like knowing that something's there - but I'd also like to know what. Not a big issue with people passing me, but we have assholes here that like to hang out in blind spots. I've had issues getting used to the lights coming from a car with the mirrors -- my wife on the other hand, coming from a car with neither has taken to the lights much better --- and the Expedition has a blind spot the size of a small town.

I honestly think the bo in my gt500 sounds pretty good. Pretty good is relative to what you have heard in the past and what your expectations are though. I think overall it works well and plays clearly and cleanly enough in my high performance sports car so I’m happy with it. Understand that I have a Bowers and Wilkens system in my bmw x7 m50i which obviously is way way better but that was a stand alone 3400 dollar option just for the sound system. So I mean for three grand in the tech package asking with the bo I’m happy with it. 😁
Agreed -- for me the BO system isn't the best sounding system that I've had --- in some ways I liked the sound from the Shaker system in my '13 better. However for me it's acceptable. It can still drown out the engine with the windows closed if I really want it to, and it plays both rock and classical music clearly. I did find it a bit bass heavy at first, but a little tweaking of the settings and now I've gotten used to it. But, I got the Tech Package for the other stuff --- the radio upgrade was just a bonus. And I have no experience with the base radio at all - so I don't know how it compares.

·
Registered
'13 GT500 - Red Candy Metallic w/ White Stripes
141 Posts
I’ve had Dodge’s for the last 15 years and the latest iteration of UConnect/Harmon Kardon sound system absolutely blows away the mYsync/BO system.
I'll second this. The Uconnect system in my 2018 Ram was otherworldly. The best audio system from an auto manufacturer I've ever heard and it's not even close. To be honest, when shopping trucks that year, the tech package sold me on Ram over Ford. I really liked the 3.5 Ecoboost in the Ford, but I ended up buying the Ram and loved it.

·
Registered
2010 Shelby GT500, Kona Blue with Silver Stripes. Gen3 VMP
270 Posts
Edit: Accidental post.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts