Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Afco Intercooler Radiator from

http://www.lethalperformance.com/

It looks to be a very nice quality piece...

The original piece weighed 7 lbs. 11 oz., and the Afco is 7 lbs. 14 oz. if anyone cares.

Original intercooler radiator.

Here are some pics. that may help w/ install...

Part II coming...

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Part II..

The kit included all items to install and very good directions.

I would suggest replacing the 2 factory clamps that they say re-use. And would suggest placing a piece of cardboard in front of the A/C coil radiator to avoid damage, it is a tight fit.

Need a clamp?

First off the front wheels and front bumper need to come off... :eek:

To get to the point of pulling out the factory radiator took me one hour.

Part III coming...

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Part III...
Remove the factory radiator and pump. Install pump on new radiator and connect supplied hose...

Then install into vehicle...

Then replace front bumper and related parts and front wheels...

In cognito...

I had a few spare parts, but nothing fell out going down the road... :D

I think it took me approx. 2.5 hours total. I think a real :hysterical: mechanic could do it in 2 hours.

I replaced my damaged splitter, took pictures and of course made a post or 20 while doing the install, so took me a little longer.

I removed 11 cups of antifreeze and added 15 when done, so I believe this only held an extra quart, but definitely goes through a much greater cooling surface.

Hope this helps someone.

Would like to thank Jared for the great product and quick delivery.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry if the pics are too big, I'm still working on the thumbnail thing.:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Awesome post Bill,:) Taking the front off bumper and all, wasn't that difficult then?:confused: How's the car running, temp & SC and such?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I managed to install those two plastic air deflectors back on mine . Not exactly the way they came off but they are still somewhat functional. I also painted the HE black....the stealth look.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I managed to install those two plastic air deflectors back on mine . Not exactly the way they came off but they are still somewhat functional. I also painted the HE black....the stealth look.
So you're saying once you take the air deflectors off they don't go back on easily?

Also, won't painting the HE affect it's ability to transfer the heat effectively? I was always told that if you painted a radiator you needed to use special paint, but keeping it bare was always best.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Just a light coat of black spray paint , actually black is a good conductor of heat so if anything it should be better.I just didn't want the brite silver look behind the grill.Besides the OEM HE is black.
As far as those little side pieces are concerned they simply will not go back the same as they were originally so I think I reversed sides and installed them differently. It's not a big deal but I managed to find a way to reuse them.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome post Bill,:) Taking the front off bumper and all, wasn't that difficult then?:confused: How's the car running, temp & SC and such?
The HE is really not that noticeable in the silver finish, I didn't even think about painting it at the time.

I won't know the full effects til this summer when it is really hot out. I'm sure it is much better on the life expectancy of the motor.

Also I plan on going to the TVS Stage II eventually, so this would be a big plus.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
The HE is really not that noticeable in the silver finish, I didn't even think about painting it at the time.

I won't know the full effects til this summer when it is really hot out. I'm sure it is much better on the life expectancy of the motor.

Also I plan on going to the TVS Stage II eventually, so this would be a big plus.
I too will be installing the TVS as soon as I can get a new bolt for the 08 balancer. I'm sure the new AFCO HE will make a huge difference.
( A WORD OF CAUTION: I will not be using the aftermarket aluminum coolent tanks as they will actually hurt the efficency of the system by absorbing heat from the engine compartment.)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I too will be installing the TVS as soon as I can get a new bolt for the 08 balancer. I'm sure the new AFCO HE will make a huge difference.
( A WORD OF CAUTION: I will not be using the aftermarket aluminum coolent tanks as they will actually hurt the efficency of the system by absorbing heat from the engine compartment.)

Where did you get your balancer? I ordered through EVO and it comes w/ the bolt.

The TVS will be a little while for me, being self employed I really need to watch what the economy does in an election year.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Did not realize how much work to get the old one off. Great job, for some reason if I would do it I would have a truck load of parts left over :) I will leave this task to Evo performance when I visit them in the spring.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Where did you get your balancer? I ordered through EVO and it comes w/ the bolt.

The TVS will be a little while for me, being self employed I really need to watch what the economy does in an election year.
From Evolution but Fred is waiting for the shipment of bolts to arrive. I even tried to get one from my Ford dealer but got the same results.....On Backorder.......

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From Evolution but Fred is waiting for the shipment of bolts to arrive. I even tried to get one from my Ford dealer but got the same results.....On Backorder.......
Great, I ordered yesterday.:(

I still can't figure what type puller and installer you and BB are talking about.

·
Registered
50 Posts
would be interesting to see the delta deg. F difference of coolant after a couple of hard runs, to see how effective it is on heat soak.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is the type puller I have, looks like you modified it though.

I don't have the install piece though.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Why doesn't the ( : D ) work by itself???

1 - 20 of 143 Posts