Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good evening forum

Well I finally got a free day to install the AFCO dual HE (purchased used from a forum member) and 3xs res (purchased from VMP). This was my first real car project, I did some work on a 79 corvette but mostly just grinding down and re painting the frame. So I'm pretty proud of this.

I reference Goose's install thread as well as VMPs install video (
).

Lessons learned.. I would have installed the stock pump on the HE before putting it in, in Justin's video he mentioned he likes to install it afterwards, which ended up being a knuckle buster for me (but I'm a noob). I also used a Dewalt impact to remove and install a bunch of the nuts and bolts. Which ended up biting me in the ass a bit because I torqued one clean off. Looking for some advice on how to fix that.. See pictures below for more info.

Edit: I also ended up with a harness with dual relays and dual fuses (which is a happy coincidence) but I was not sure how to mount the extra fuse and relay. So please take a look at the pictures below with the blue circles and let me know if they're in a bad spot.

Thanks again to Justin from VMP for the video!

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The bolt I torqued off is one of the two that retains the bumper to the car itself. You can see which one it is in the pictures below. I tried to push the bolt back through with an allen wrench and a hammer but could not get it to go. Any advice on how to get the old one out and new one in?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
EZ out. Drill a center hole in bolt tap in driver with reverse fluting and remove.

Might be able to get one at Sears or NAPA on a Sunday.

Hard part is drilling the hole, get a good drill bit made for hi strength steel.

I posted a link on Amazon above

·
Banned
9,880 Posts
Is it a bolt that is welded to the frame? If it is not welded or somehow permanently attached I have been able to get them out by using a small chisel and tapping the outside of the bolt gently in the direction that it screws out. If it is attached you may have to drill it out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I couldn't see the top of the bolt, but I'm pretty sure its not going to push out. By feel I would say it is meant to be permanent. I'll youtube some videos on drilling them out and see where I end up. Its in a tough position and I'm not sure I'll be able to get to it without some sort of extensions. In the meantime it sits flush and still looks great, may just leave it as is.

·
Banned
9,880 Posts
If it is welded on you could try and drill it out and then tap it. The welded head should have enough meat on it to hold some threads. Other then that drill it all the way out and use a regular bolt but I do not know how hard it would be to do that.l They welded it on for a reason.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm thinking I'll try and drill all the way through it, I was even thinking about trying to get a hold of a clamp and try to use that. I should be able to put a new bolt through the top IF I can get it drilled out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That. Is a damn fine suggestion. I was so focused on the one I torqued off I didn't even notice the second hole. Good catch!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts