Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving, but I need some advise. I am new to the Shelby GT500, I purchased a 2008 with 14,000 miles on it last month. I posted a picture of the engine yesterday on Facebook gt500 group and I was told that it had a few upgrades and did i get a tuner with it from the dealer. I did not receive such an item! I am asking for any help that I can receive, I live in Grenville South Carolina wondering as to who when I need anything done to it that is reliable. I also need to know do I need to purchase a tuner and if so what would you recommend, Thanks in advance below is a picture of the engine.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
30,521 Posts
I see an intake, smaller pulley and aux idler (to get more belt wrap on smaller upper supercharger pulley). Your car should be tuned for these mods, but without the tuner and without knowing the seller, you have no way of verifying it as is. You have options at this point.

One option is to take it to a local performance shop that is familiar with these cars and have it run on the dyno. Make sure it is a competent shop that knows these cars and that they monitor your engine’s parameters while on the dyno. They very well could find your car has been properly tuned for your mods. They could also find that it hasn’t been properly tuned. You may be able to get a dyno tune while there, but they may also try to up-sell you on their tune even though yours is quite adequate.

Another option is to buy a handheld tuner and contact a mail-order tuner familiar with these cars. They will send you a baseline tune for your mods and then have you data-log your car to dial-in the tune.

In any event, I’d recommend staying out of boost until you figure out the tune. A car that hasn’t been properly tuned for its mods can end with a dead engine after hitting hard boost.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you sir, the car runs absolutely perfect, I just to make sure it stays that way. I have to find someone of knowledge down here in Grenville SC that knows these cars.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
30,521 Posts
Thank you sir, the car runs absolutely perfect, I just to make sure it stays that way. I have to find someone of knowledge down here in Grenville SC that knows these cars.
You could also try to track down the previous owner. If you bought the car from a dealer, start with the dealer. Ask them to give the seller your contact info and explain that you would like to know about the tune and that you have no problems with the car. Hopefully the seller then contacts you.

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
I'd look around the car and the trunk and see if you can find a tuner. The car should have a tune intalled with that cold air intake as one is required to get it to run right. You need a tune with that pulley also. The pulley appears to be made by Metco, the the auxilliary idler is definitely made by Metco. These are not very elaborate mods, but they need a tune. I would only suggest a dyno tune if you had extensive mods. Dyno time is not cheap. Most of this bolt-on stuff has been figured out long ago. I would suggest getting a mail order tune from a reputable tuner like Venomous Tuning, Lund or VMP with something basic like an X4. They all have extensive experience with the GT500 and should be able to give you a tune for it in their sleep. BUT, if you have plans for any additional mods, you might want to consider doing all this at the same time. Lots of sales going on through Monday.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Catmonkey I have looked everywhere and have found nothing. I do not plan on doing any other upgrades at 70 years of age it is fast enough for me, LOL.

·
Premium Member
2014 Ruby Red Shelby GT500
318 Posts
Here is a popular tuner in Charlotte/ Ft Mill S.C. area. I take my car there as many others do. Dan is reputable tuner with years of experience, you can also call him.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,104 Posts
If it were my car, I would find a local tuner & take the car to the shop.
You don't know what you have, trying to answer that question over the phone / e-mail could hurt something..

·
Registered
2010 Shelby GT500, Kona Blue with Silver Stripes. Gen3 VMP blower, 2.8” pulley, 677WHP/651TQ
161 Posts
I know I’m late responding but I’ll second Dan at Pro-Dyno. I don’t know of any other tuner in SC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts