Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok...Ok...
I seriously have been researching non-stop for two weeks.

I have some options to think about and need some advice on my direction since a lot of you have done most of these mods. Another words.."if you had to do it again would you do it different".

Let me break it down:

1. Purchase Stage 3 kit including upgraded heat exchange, etc.. I'm afraid I'll spend this money then want a upgraded supercharger later- but maybe simplicity is the way to go?

2. Purchase TVS upgrade with Throttle Body. Nice set-up but is it a major difference from the stock Eaton with the Stage 3? HP increase/per $

3. Whipple 2.9 setup. I've been hearing some people having trouble with the tunes with this setup- but it would be cool to have something different around here (my city) besides the typical pulley/cai upgrade.

Also- I do not want to go the KB route because I really do not want to lower my motor or cut my hood.
I only drive street- no track.

Help me fellow fellas!! I'm lost on my direction.

Thanks in advance.

Jay

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I would start out with the stage 3. You can always add the TVS or Whipple later and the only parts that would not be used are the pulley and possibly the idler. I would buy the tuner and tunes from Lund Racing or VMP. I would inquire as to whether you can buy the TVS or Whipple without purchasing their tune and tuner as that would be a waste in the stage 3 purchase and you will get better results from Jon Lund @ Lund Racing or Justin @ VMP. They are both great tuners but I personally favor Jon Lund.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree with shelbysvt.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If I had to do it again... I would not do it differently. I researched mod options well before I even bought the car. Where we may differ (somewhat) is what we expect/desire out of the car. I bought a convertible b/c I already have a rocket-fast sports car, and I desired a car I could drive with the top-down. Honestly, that is the only time I drive my GT500.

BUT... being a hot-rodder at heart, and never leaving anything stock, plus knowing the limitations of the stock car, I did the mods to the car before I even took possession (and being lazy in my old-er age... I had the dealer use a local shop to do the work before I even picked up the car).

I went with the TVS. My reasoning was rather simple... no hood clearance issues (especially since I was going with the FRPP handling pack and the larger diameter strut tower brace would certainly create even more issues with whichever KB I might have considered), it does and will offer plenty of power for what I want out of this car, and my dealer will honor the Ford warranty with the TVS in place. While you can get nearly the same power I did with a Stage 3, you will run more boost than I do, experience higher air-charge temps, etc. I've run and raced forced induction vehicles (OEM and aftermarket) for nearly 20 years now... centrifugal blowers, roots/screw blowers, turbos. Heat is your enemy, and I wanted a more efficient blower, and there is no doubt the TVS is significantly better than the stocker.

I'm only at 578rwhp, but there is a TON left on the table. I have just a CAI, no TB, no headers, I'm running the stock cats, and just a Magnaflow stainless 3" cat-back. I do have a custom tune which was worth 40rwhp over the FRPP Pro-Cal tune on 93 octane.

Like you, I will not be drag racing this car... I may get it to the strip once, but since its a 'vert, I'll get booted after the first full pass due to no rollcage. Again, I didn't buy it to be an 800rwhp monster. I would have bought a coupe, and installed a more drag-oriented suspension if that was the goal. But I can still get 650+rwhp out of the TVS if I want to, so I have some ability to bump the power.

The other thing is that there is a limit to what the stock clutch can handle. I have no interest in replacing the clutch every 10-15k miles (or less), or running a race-type clutch... which I've had in a number of track cars before. I also didn't want to get into upgrading the fuel pump, fuel injectors, MAF meter, etc. So again, using the design limits of given parts also helped me make my choice.

I know I will never seek to make more power than I can with the TVS, and given the warranty, it was a no-brainer for me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for your input. I am considering all options.

I still have not decided. I may be leaning towards: full exhaust, cai and a nice tune for now. Who knows...

The main reason I'm leaning toward the Whipple 2.9 is that it will run a lot cooler and produce great power over the stock Eaton.

I'll keep everyone posted.
Please keep the replies coming. It is nice to hear from everyone's experience and knowledge.

Jay

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had a Evo stage 2(upper pulley, cai and tune...actually it is for sale now I guess) I installed a Evo KB kit last weekend. The install was amazingly simple with excellent directions. After an initial delay waiting on the polished intake, Evo has been nothing but great with any questions and help with the tune. I would not leave KB out of the choices. I did enjoy the stage 2 setup and I'm sure it is enough for most normal people but I happen to sell a big enclosed trailer and had some extra cash and decided to pull the trigger on more power. I think I appreciate the car more knowing what the stage 2 kit would do....those few simple mods covers most of our competition.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Read my sig...nuff said....:)

no really...IMO the TVS is the better choice for all round applications. Along with that, go for L&M's new TB and intake plenum increasing HP, and NO re-tuning needed whatsoever (read more on it over at teamshelby site). Drives great and like stock, but still has the punch. Seriously consider new cooling items (HIGHLY recommend RevanRacing/Shelby) HE & Radiator. Well worth the cost.

I drive my car in city traffic all day, and when i want to punch the power, its there, no loss in HP, throttle response at all. There are a few great tuners out there (that REALLY know these cars) as mentioned, but i prefer Jon Lund. And the TVS is a breeze to install. Many good writeups here on it.

If you go TVS, hit VMP or Evo. The FRPP systems tune is very conservative, and eventually you'll be going to VMP (Justin), or Jon anyway. Save the heartache and cut out the middleman.

It was and is my only SC change, and i've never been more pleased with it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well..I think I decided to go with the TVS setup. I have been reading ALL DAY on different setups. I like what I hear about the TVS.

Again, my car is mainly street ,therefore, TVS just seems like the ticket!!

:grinbiginvert:Jay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts