Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question --- lets start out by my question highlighting my low car knowledge lol.

So I understand the concept of the adjustable camber plates, at least I think I do, allowing easy adjustment from street <> track camber for the front wheels.
That sounds like a good idea, and as been pointed out, track alignment is vital for saving the tires (as best you can) when on track.

My confusion comes in --- uh there's recommended camber adjustments on the rear as well.

So --- if I'm having to go get the car aligned for track days (and aligned back for street) --- what real value are the adjustable front plates?

Starting to think about this because my local Mustang club has autocross days that I'm interested in -- plus I'm thinking I'd like to hit our semi-local track at least once :ROFLMAO:

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
32,587 Posts
I have a question --- lets start out by my question highlighting my low car knowledge lol.

So I understand the concept of the adjustable camber plates, at least I think I do, allowing easy adjustment from street <> track camber for the front wheels.
That sounds like a good idea, and as been pointed out, track alignment is vital for saving the tires (as best you can) when on track.

My confusion comes in --- uh there's recommended camber adjustments on the rear as well.
View attachment 216911
View attachment 216912

View attachment 216913

So --- if I'm having to go get the car aligned for track days (and aligned back for street) --- what real value are the adjustable front plates?

Starting to think about this because my local Mustang club has autocross days that I'm interested in -- plus I'm thinking I'd like to hit our semi-local track at least once :ROFLMAO:
In order to achieve the proper negative camber for the front, you need adjustable camber plates. The rear can get to the track settings without adding anything. If you are just going to hit an autocross, I wouldn’t worry about a track alignment. The speeds and cornering Gs are much less in a parking lot. I’d also argue that a 4100 pound 760 hp car is not suited for parking lot racing. It thrives on an actual track though.

I had the track alignment done and just left it there. If I was going to take a big road trip, I’d put it back to street, but for local driving, track alignment is just fine.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In order to achieve the proper negative camber for the front, you need adjustable camber plates. The rear can get to the track settings without adding anything. If you are just going to hit an autocross, I wouldn’t worry about a track alignment. The speeds and cornering Gs are much less in a parking lot. I’d also argue that a 4100 pound 760 hp car is not suited for parking lot racing. It thrives on an actual track though.

I had the track alignment done and just left it there. If I was going to take a big road trip, I’d put it back to street, but for local driving, track alignment is just fine.

Ah -- so I misunderstood.... you need the plates to be able to get to the alignment. I thought they were for ease of switching.... makes more sense now.

I would agree on autocross, but the guy that coordinates it does it in his 350 so I figure it's worth a look.... I've been sick the last few days, but if I'm feeling well enough I'm going to go watch this Sunday - I might decide nope lol.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,587 Posts
Ah -- so I misunderstood.... you need the plates to be able to get to the alignment. I thought they were for ease of switching.... makes more sense now.

I would agree on autocross, but the guy that coordinates it does it in his 350 so I figure it's worth a look.... I've been sick the last few days, but if I'm feeling well enough I'm going to go watch this Sunday - I might decide nope lol.
A new 500 would do just fine in an autocross, it’s just the wrong tool for the job. A Miata is better suited for that. King Kong doesn’t fight in a phone booth... just say’n.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A new 500 would do just fine in an autocross, it’s just the wrong tool for the job. A Miata is better suited for that. King Kong doesn’t fight in a phone booth... just say’n.
Heh agreed --- but it's the tool I have. Actually one of the club guys has a Miata exactly for that reason lol.
Don't have to win, just have to have fun (and not break anything) 😁

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,587 Posts
Heh agreed --- but it's the tool I have. Actually one of the club guys has a Miata exactly for that reason lol.
Don't have to win, just have to have fun (and not break anything) 😁

Have you done the Track Attack in Charlotte yet?

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you done the Track Attack in Charlotte yet?
Yeah --- that was outstanding. I blame it, and your videos, for the bug to go do something like that again :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2020 GT500 - Handling Package, Technology Package, Recaros, Forgeline
32 Posts
Has anyone tried adjustable camber plates other than the Ford Performance ones? On that video someone posted of installing the CFTP suspension on a base GT500 they used some other camber plates.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,587 Posts
Has anyone tried adjustable camber plates other than the Ford Performance ones? On that video someone posted of installing the CFTP suspension on a base GT500 they used some other camber plates.
The alignment guy at the shop I used said he much prefers working with aftermarket plates vs. OEM ones. He said the OEM plates are more difficult to move into position.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 PP
555 Posts
I don't know about 20-21 but Maximum Motorsports makes great units for 2014 and earlier. They probably offer for your years, but no idea how they compare.

Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts