Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys

just want to ask about 5th gear if i shift to fifth gear i feel that the car power is drop and feels its like an over drive so can these thing be solved by tune ??

regards

·
Registered
170 Posts
5th. and 6th. gears are overdrive in order to change this you have to put 373's in the rear then you will feel the change

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Will 3.73s really change the fact that 5th and 6th are both overdrive gears? Thought overdrive meant driveshaft spins more revs than the crankshaft.
No argument that the lower gears will change the feel of 5th and 6th gears for sure.

TD

·
Registered
170 Posts
Will 3.73s really change the fact that 5th and 6th are both overdrive gears? Thought overdrive meant driveshaft spins more revs than the crankshaft.
No argument that the lower gears will change the feel of 5th and 6th gears for sure.

TD
Overdrive means that the gear ratio in the transmission is the same as a drive shaft 1 to 1 for 5th. and 6th. is even a little higher witch means the drive shaft rotates faster than the motor. when you change the rear end gear than you increase the rpm of the motor witch in turn increases the horse power output from the motor.
I hope this makes sense.
Art

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Overdrive means that the gear ratio in the transmission is the same as a drive shaft 1 to 1 for 5th. and 6th. is even a little higher witch means the drive shaft rotates faster than the motor. when you change the rear end gear than you increase the rpm of the motor witch in turn increases the horse power output from the motor.
I hope this makes sense.
Art

:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
when you change the rear end gear than you increase the rpm of the motor witch in turn increases the horse power output from the motor.
Not quite.

Transmissions and gears are normally torque multipliers. They do not create more torque just change the way it is delivered.

As you progress through the gears that torque multiplication gets smaller and smaller.

What you are probably experiencing is the point at which aerodynamic drag is starting to overcome your current torque production. It happens to every vehicle eventually.
--
Ronnie

·
Registered
170 Posts
Not quite.

Transmissions and gears are normally torque multipliers. They do not create more torque just change the way it is delivered.

As you progress through the gears that torque multiplication gets smaller and smaller.

What you are probably experiencing is the point at which aerodynamic drag is starting to overcome your current torque production. It happens to every vehicle eventually.
--
Ronnie
So then my statement is right otherwise why are people changing there rear gear to 373's its because cruising down the road it increases the rpm witch increases the HP and torque to the tires. It essentially changes the 1 to 1 ratio from the transmission because the ratio that Ford had put in the transmission went with the gear set that they chose for the rear.
Why not go all the way to 411's

1 - 9 of 9 Posts