Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2012 gt500 Vert
140 Posts
I bought my 68 ford edge on the emp aplan new back in 2008. Interest free for 60 months. Still have car today. Runs great 164000 miles and no major issues.

·
Premium Member
7,930 Posts
The number goes higher and higher but doesn't effect anyone's day to day life... Maybe Bernie is right, just keep printing money and we can all drive Ferrari's for free :p.
...... pretty much what they've been doing for quite awhile ...... maybe the USA will just file bankruptcy against our Chinese loans ???

·
Registered
2012 Kona Blue SVTPP GT500
127 Posts
Yikes! I’ve felt guilty for going with a 48 month before. At some point people should realize if they need that length of a loan that maybe they shouldn’t be making the purchase.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yikes! I’ve felt guilty for going with a 48 month before. At some point people should realize if they need that length of a loan that maybe they shouldn’t be making the purchase.
I get that to an extent. Realistically though when moderately equipped lower end cars are $30k+ and trucks are $50k+, its getting harder and harder to afford vehicles.
Honestly, cars are starting to price most consumers out. I just lease my new cars now and ditch them in 3 yrs. Makes most sense for me to not have to ever worry about paying for issues down the line. Don't get me wrong, I still own cars outright and finance a few too, but on my dailies, they are just too much money so I lease now.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Anyone see the latest on Ford Credit offering 84 months at 0% on Shelby American vehicles like the Shelby F150, Shelby Mustang Super Snake, and the Shelby Raptor?

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
I get that to an extent. Realistically though when moderately equipped lower end cars are $30k+ and trucks are $50k+, its getting harder and harder to afford vehicles.
Honestly, cars are starting to price most consumers out. I just lease my new cars now and ditch them in 3 yrs. Makes most sense for me to not have to ever worry about paying for issues down the line. Don't get me wrong, I still own cars outright and finance a few too, but on my dailies, they are just too much money so I lease now.
Vehicles are costing that much because people are driving the demand of every bell and whistle, not to mention the required safety features. They're driving the demand because inflated term lengths and their perceived purchasing power.

I just looked up my local Ford dealer...
2020 Fusions for low 20's
2020 EcoSports mid 20's
2020 Escape mid to upper 20's
2020 F150 Screws starting in the low to mid 40's.

I guess my point is that vehicles CAN be had for cheaper that what we all believe. These are just cars without fancy sound systems or seats that will wash your butt. We expect every brand/model to be luxury by standards 10-15 years ago. My wife's 2010 Edge is a limited, top of the line... No large radio screen and no backup camera. But at 175,000, it has served us well!

Consumers are so entitled and believe they can/should be able to afford things they can't.

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,051 Posts
Just received an email from Shelby American. They too are offering 84 months at 0%.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,784 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Vehicles are costing that much because people are driving the demand of every bell and whistle, not to mention the required safety features. They're driving the demand because inflated term lengths and their perceived purchasing power.

I just looked up my local Ford dealer...
2020 Fusions for low 20's
2020 EcoSports mid 20's
2020 Escape mid to upper 20's
2020 F150 Screws starting in the low to mid 40's.

I guess my point is that vehicles CAN be had for cheaper that what we all believe. These are just cars without fancy sound systems or seats that will wash your butt. We expect every brand/model to be luxury by standards 10-15 years ago. My wife's 2010 Edge is a limited, top of the line... No large radio screen and no backup camera. But at 175,000, it has served us well!

Consumers are so entitled and believe they can/should be able to afford things they can't.
All this being said, and we all here have tried to justify at some point buying the new GT500 for $100k ish or a used 2013-14 for $50K ish. lol.

That being said my very mediocrely optioned F150 stickered at like $52k which IMHO is ludicrous! We have a 16 Escape Titanium we got used for a pretty good price. I looked at a new one kind sorta similary optioned new 2 weeks ago at the dealer and it was $38k!
An Edge ST was $52k!

You can buy fully loaded luxury cars from other brands cheaper or same price.

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
All this being said, and we all here have tried to justify at some point buying the new GT500 for $100k ish or a used 2013-14 for $50K ish. lol.

That being said my very mediocrely optioned F150 stickered at like $52k which IMHO is ludicrous! We have a 16 Escape Titanium we got used for a pretty good price. I looked at a new one kind sorta similary optioned new 2 weeks ago at the dealer and it was $38k!
An Edge ST was $52k!

You can buy fully loaded luxury cars from other brands cheaper or same price.
I've not once tried to justify buying a new 500, nor upgrading my '12 to a 13/14. I'm content with what I have.

I bought my F150 2-3 years used. It's well-optioned for an XLT. Paid I think $28,000 for it and it was also a mid-50's MSRP truck.

Escape Titanium, again, a fully-optioned vehicle. Lane keep/Active Cruise/Leather/Auto Climate/Leather/Premium Sound/Auto-parking/foot activated tailgate/heated seats/Blind spot monitoring...

Yeah, and Edge ST is $52,000 because it pretty much has every bell and whistle, and a suspension tuned for that one model. That takes time, talent and material. I'm not in automotive MFG, but consumer goods. I've heard plenty of people I work with comment about how much better our margins are than the auto industry. Yeah, I'm sure the big 3 are making some decent dollars off your purchase, but you gotta play to play to manufacture cars. I buy MFG equipment for a living. Y'all would be astonished of what custom equipment costs.

My whole point, we all want these fully loaded vehicles that are fast, shiny, and/or luxurious, but then want to complain about how much they cost. This is the proverbial "Can't have your cake and eat it too". Want all those nice things? They don't come free.

I know you know this, and I guess I may just be beating a dead horse. Cheaper alternatives (even brand new) exist in the car buying process. We, as consumers, are just greedy and spoiled, expecting to have more, more more.

On top of that, we expect to drive vehicles we don't really need. Does Karen really need that Yukon XL to drive 1 kid to soccer practice? Does Joe, as single guy, need a $65,000 truck to drive to the office? No, but they're willing to borrow for 8 years to do so. Sorry, I'm not.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
If I went out and got one of those 8 year loans, I'd need to buy Loan Life Insurance on it....I might not LIVE long enough to get it PAID off...LOL.....no, SERIOUSLY....LOL
My very FIRST New Car Loan was for 36 months....Seemed like a LIFETIME, Well, It WAS a LIFETIME ago! I wish I still had that one!

redmustang (2).jpg

·
Premium Member
7,930 Posts
I've been out of the "new car market" for quite awhile now, and can't get past the fact that most people pay more for their 'sales tax', than I pay for an entire vehicle ... heck, the sales tax on a new Shelby GT500 would buy me a whole FLEET of vans !!! LOL o_O?

It reminds me of my Grandfather who used to say, "why, .... I paid less for my first HOUSE than you paid for that little car !!". My how history repeats itself once again ..... :)

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Who in their right mind takes a picture with a tree blocking half the car ??? .... who cares about the owner .... GET THE CAR IN THE PICTURE !!! LOL :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I’ll have you know that was on my Honeymoon in Eureka Springs Arkansas and taken by my lovely Bride.

The car was secondary (to her)....ROFL

21 - 37 of 37 Posts