Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I guess that just about settles it for me. If this is any preview of what is going to happen at dealers, there is a good chance I will never own, let alone see one of these cars. Collectors will swoop in and lock them up, damn I wish it was a SVT Cobra and not a Shelby, maybe then I could have gotten one!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
That's just stupid if true. Why would you pay that much for that car? It's not that special. If you want something with Shelby's name on it, you can get an original GT500 for much less, let alone the Dodge stuff.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
There are many very rich people in this world that doanate billions of dollars
each year. The Shelby at Barrett-Jackson was for charity, the buyer will
probably pay sales tax on no more than the actual value of the car with the
remainder being a tax deductable donation. So in reality, if the buyer would have donated $600,000.00 to charity under normal conditions, they really got a bargain on this since they will have the first one offered to the public plus
they get a sunvisor signed by both Ford & Shelby, a Shelby custom tool box
with number to match the vin and a tour of svt factory to see their car being built. What a great way to give to charity and still make a damn good investment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think 2005ROUSH is right. I'm sure there are a lot of people that donate $600K or more to charity every year. This was an opportunity to donate (what you might have been donating anyway), get some notoriety, and be the first on your block with a new toy. This also is a great kick to the ego.

The price of $600k has little to do with the worth of the car.

Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
I keep hearing everyone using $600,000 as the auction price however going to the Barrett-Jackson website shows $648,000 as the sale price. This leads me to believe that the additional $48,000 is for a fully optioned GT500 including T,T,& L. In other words, $48 grand out the door.

Doug

·
Registered
1 Posts
BJ adds 8% fee to the sell price, that is added onto the auction closing price.

That is where the $48k comes from. (the also charge 8% from the seller)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Based on what the announcers were saying during the B-J auction, yes the buyer and seller each pay an 8% commission. Good work if you can get it! lol

As for the $600,000 price for the GT500. IMO, that has nothing to do with what the cars will sell for. If you've never been to a charity auction before, trust me, people pay absurd amounts for trivial things - it's for charity and a legitimate tax deduction. Obviously, dealers will do everything they can to play off of this auction and scare people into overpaying by convincing them that this is their ONLY chance to own a GT500. I call bullpoop on that!

Don't forget that it's STILL a Mustang -albeit a very special one - but it IS a Mustang and not worth near that kind of money. I'm not bashing the Mustang, I love them! and will own my own GT500 as soon as common sense prevails in the market ...uh, I hope ;-]

DMiller779 said:
Thanks for that info. Do I understand that they charge both the seller and the buyer 8%?

Doug

1 - 11 of 11 Posts