Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at getting the EVO Stage 3 kit, and well what is the 4 lb lower pulley and what does it do, Is this a stupid ?.

C&L TrueFlow Air Induction System, Evolution Performance, Inc. Custom Tuned SCT X3, 2.6” Supercharger Pulley, Auxiliary Idler Assembly, 4Lb Lower Pulley, 160mm Mono Blade Throttle Body, 10-Rib Supercharger Belt, and (8) NGK TR6 Spark Plugs

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
if you mean this, it's the replacement crankshaft balancer, which provides an additional 4lbs boost.
I am thinking or running this, BUT I called KB and they FREAKED out saying it would ruin the engine.......

Anyone with experience and tuning reccomendation......?

I will say that I am ALL OUT of fuel with my current setup. Injectors are MAXED out at ~6000 RPM!

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I called KB and they FREAKED out saying it would ruin the engine.......
Did they say how? I could understand if it was stated that it would over-rev the KB supercharger. But otherwise, how would the damage occur?

It's just an SFI approved balancer that spins the attached accessories 10% faster. At max that is 620 rpm.

Anyone with experience and tuning reccomendation......?
I have one on my car. Only 2200 miles on it so far and no issues. Justin Starkey of VMP has had one on his car with no issues.

I will say that I am ALL OUT of fuel with my current setup. Injectors are MAXED out at ~6000 RPM!
That could be why the KB crew suggested you shy away from it. If your injectors are maxed out, the last thing you want is more air.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry for stealing topic, but I have a simmilar question.

I'm stock right now (not counting LCAs, UCA and 305/35/20 555Rs), and planning to buy stage 2.
I have a '07 so I have to change lower pulley also.
Now, there are two options:
1. '08 stock pulley
2. +10% 4lb lower pulley

What would you advice? Car is daily driven. Is there a lot of difference beetwen those two while at car?
Thanks in advance for all your help.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,951 Posts
No one has to change the lower, it's just there for extra boost. It is recommended that the 2007s change to the 2008 balancer because it is lighter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've read that some time ago.
That you have to change lower pulley while incerasing power, becouse of giving too much strees to crankshaft with stock '07.
The '08 pulley was even availble through Evolution performance on-line shop.

Assuming I'm going to change lower pulley, and going stage II.
Which pulley would you advise, and why?
(I'm going to pay for it anyway, so I'd prefer to choose the best option).

Thank's in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
If your goal is a reliable, hassle free daily driver: just upgrade to the '08 balancer.

But if you want that extra 2-4lb boost or if you need an SFI approved balancer, get the IW 10% lower. Be aware that IW recommends periodically returning the damper for service/inspection.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,951 Posts
You also have to grind a nub off of your block to fit the IW I believe. That is why I will never have one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How is the 08 pulley a upgrade over the 07? Is the weight Diff the onlydifference between the, If I put an 08 pulley on my 07 I'm not going to make more boost correct?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have one on my car and I put it on at 5000 miles and I have 10,000 miles on my car now. I went with the 2.6 upper and the lower 10% and i see right about 15.5 psi on a seperate guage when on the dyno. I have had no issues with mine at all.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Why do you have to change the lower? I thought you only needed to if you had the tvs upgrade.
Correct, i am running the TVS stage 2..

I've read that some time ago.
That you have to change lower pulley while incerasing power, becouse of giving too much strees to crankshaft with stock '07.
The '08 pulley was even availble through Evolution performance on-line shop.

Assuming I'm going to change lower pulley, and going stage II.
Which pulley would you advise, and why?
(I'm going to pay for it anyway, so I'd prefer to choose the best option).

Thank's in advance!
Correct. Even if you add the stage 2, going with the 08 balancer won't hurt. Plenty to do with this eng to get more boost. The 10% increases boost, which can be increased in other ways, but is also less weight than the 08 balancer.

If your goal is a reliable, hassle free daily driver: just upgrade to the '08 balancer.

But if you want that extra 2-4lb boost or if you need an SFI approved balancer, get the IW 10% lower. Be aware that IW recommends periodically returning the damper for service/inspection.
I agree, which is why i went with the 08. Ford also tells you to replace using the 08 if upgrading SC to TVS. As mentioned, faster rotation puts further stress on an already extremely heavy balancer.

You also have to grind a nub off of your block to fit the IW I believe. That is why I will never have one.
Which is also why i stayed with the 08 unit.

How is the 08 pulley a upgrade over the 07? Is the weight Diff the onlydifference between the, If I put an 08 pulley on my 07 I'm not going to make more boost correct?
Below are some pic's of stock and the 08 unit. Stock being on the right.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts