Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we're going to put 315/30's in the back we thought that maybe the rear tires will fit in the front, anybody has any experience on this?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Some people run them up front STOCK height with no issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, i want it heavier :thefinger:

I think that the wider tires would help somewhat in handling and since both front and rear wheels measure 18 x 9.5 i think i should ask because i believe they should fit

·
Registered
191 Posts

I think that the wider tires would help somewhat in handling and since both front and rear wheels measure 18 x 9.5 i think i should ask because i believe they should fit
They should fit at stock ride height but I would think the scrub radius on something that wide would be horrible unless you want to crank the camber up which really eliminates the benefit of the wider footprint until you push it really really hard in a corner and is going to kill tire life...

To each their own, I just don't see any benefit you will gain from it

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts

Gee, a little quick on the draw with the "finger" there for a 4-post noob.

Welcome.

And they put those stock sizes on all four corners for a reason. Unless you're racing, they'll suffice. The type/brand/quality of the stock tires, however, suck.

bj

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gee, a little quick on the draw with the "finger" there for a 4-post noob.

Welcome.

And they put those stock sizes on all four corners for a reason. Unless you're racing, they'll suffice. The type/brand/quality of the stock tires, however, suck.

bj
Thanks for the welcome and sorry for the finger :) the car is receiving some 315/30 M/T ET Street, what size/brand would be a nice match for the front?

·
Registered
662 Posts
"Gee, a little quick on the draw with the "finger" there for a 4-post noob. "
:rofl:
BJ,
your killin me....

·
Registered
64 Posts
FWIW, when I tried to test fit my stock rears on the front with the FRPP handling kit installed, there wasn't room.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Thanks for the welcome and sorry for the finger :) the car is receiving some 315/30 M/T ET Street, what size/brand would be a nice match for the front?

Just a couple of notes:

First, unless you just want these tires for stoplight launches, don't get the 30's. You don't have enough sidewall to have any flex, thus resulting in less hook. Get the 40s if you have to (I know, they're 28" but it's not that big of a deal....plus, if you do 3.73s it'll bring your effective ratio down to about 3.55 and that'll keep you up over 120 through the traps).

I assume you're not putting the 315s on stock wheels. If you are, rethink it. They'll bead OK but the tread will be bowed at street pressures and you'll wear the middle out very quickly. Follow their recommendations for wheel width...you'll be glad you did.

Finally, the stock F1s are crap. Lots of us have used BFG KDWs. They're sticky (for a street tire) and have a ton more rubber for each sq cm of contact patch simply because of the tread design.

Oh....and seriously, don't jack with widths in the front.

bj

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advices, we're going to put those tires in stock wheels widened 11" and for the front we'll need to figure out a good performance option, the car is going to be used mostly on the road, we don't have 1/4 mile tracks over here.
Hope [email protected] hurries up with the order though! it's been a month already :mad:

·
Registered
318 Posts
I had wondered about the posibilities of running the same tire size on both front and
rear.
Benefit: being front to rear rotation,I would like to run the rear tire size all the way around.My concern other than clearance was the tire width causing the car to follow the cracks or uneven wear in the road surface.
I would like to hear more from the people with knowledge.
I agree the factory tires are crap,but mine have a way to go with only 2000 miles on them.
Don

·
Registered
354 Posts
Just a couple of notes:

First, unless you just want these tires for stoplight launches, don't get the 30's. You don't have enough sidewall to have any flex, thus resulting in less hook. Get the 40s if you have to (I know, they're 28" but it's not that big of a deal....plus, if you do 3.73s it'll bring your effective ratio down to about 3.55 and that'll keep you up over 120 through the traps).

I assume you're not putting the 315s on stock wheels. If you are, rethink it. They'll bead OK but the tread will be bowed at street pressures and you'll wear the middle out very quickly. Follow their recommendations for wheel width...you'll be glad you did.

Finally, the stock F1s are crap. Lots of us have used BFG KDWs. They're sticky (for a street tire) and have a ton more rubber for each sq cm of contact patch simply because of the tread design.

Oh....and seriously, don't jack with widths in the front.

bj
I'll be getting some BFG's when these junk F1's go (maybe before). What size are you guys running on the rear? I want to stay as close to stock as possible.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
I'll be getting some BFG's when these junk F1's go (maybe before). What size are you guys running on the rear? I want to stay as close to stock as possible.

I have stock sizes but I think they stopped making the 285s. Maybe a 275 and/or 295 now. My KDW drag radials are 275s.

bj

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ok, so its already been proven (at least in people's experience here) that the 285/40 doesn't really help from a performance perspective. Another issue is that if you put a 315/30 on the rear those tires will be significantly shorter than the 285/40s. That will look s-t-u-p-i-d with taller front tires than you have in the rear. They will be ~25.5" tall, and the front 285/40s are nearly 27" tall. It will be noticeable.

I run 305/40s on the rear and 275/40s on the front of mine. Seems to perform just fine for my type of driving. Rears are just a little taller than the fronts, but the car is lowered with the FRPP handling kit, so there isn't much rake to it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'd like to post with links but cannot do so without 5 posts. I'd hope a mod can delete the filler here that gets me to five. If I offend anyone, I apologize.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts