Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the very beginning, I've always said that the GT500 wheels / tires were a great combination of performance and sharp looks. My Initial thought from my first actual look at the GT500 was that the 285 / 255 tires looked appropriate. However, as all of you already know, 500 hp (many of you have more) is nothing to sneeze at and I'm gathering that many of you are doing low rpm starts and/or turning on the traction control to prevent roasting your tires. I read one thread where he remarked that a 1500 rpm start produced the best results. That's somewhere around twice the cars idle speed. :(

I just don't get it. While the Z06 comes standard with 12" rear wheels and a 325 / 275 tire setup, I have to wonder why Ford wouldn't offer a larger rear wheel and tire setup as an option to give the car more traction on the road where it needs it. Have any of you looked into or purchased wider wheels / tires? What's everyone's thoughts on this? :confused:

08SCGT500

·
Registered
861 Posts
I didn't have any traction problems w/ TC on until I added the Evolution Stage II......now I just roast the tires even with the TC on. So I agree We need to find I wheel and tire combo that we can fit under the car with more rubber!

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
The stock wheel wells just aren't very big.

The stock tires are fine for stock power level, but even with a tune I was roasting them at the top of first.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn't think of that. So from the sound of it, you couldn't run much more tire than what it already has, short of some major modifications. :eek: Good to know (for when that day finally arrives).

Thanks

·
Registered
861 Posts
what aboutthe Nitto's 305/35/18 or the 305/45/18......How much wider are they then the stock tire?

·
Registered
150 Posts
what aboutthe Nitto's 305/35/18 or the 305/45/18......How much wider are they then the stock tire?
stock rear tires = 285 mm wide
1 inch = 25.4 mm
so, 305's are around 3/4 inch wider than stock.

305's would be nice & would still allow a little roasting in 1st and 2nd when the mood strikes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts