Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 102 Posts
I’m with you on the bat mobile styling. Even though the Camaro is the best “bang for your buck” performance car and 1LE is regarded as a track monster, the styling has kept me away from ever owning one. I really dig the new C8 and the Z06 just improves on it even more. I still don’t like the tail lights of the C8, but oh well…

TedShred said:
I’m sure the performance jump is outstanding, but I was expecting more of a visual difference from the base, not just a few subtle changes

SSSSSVT said:
There is probably not one single part that’s the same between the base C8 and this Z06.
Even if all the body panels are different, at first glance the changes look subtle. But I will reserve judgment and give it a fair shake after seeing more than just a thumbnail pic on my phone.

I'm sorry but it still looks like a base Stingray with different wheels to me. 🤷‍♂️ Hoping the Z07 (or whatever the trim will be called) looks more aggressive.

No doubt the drivetrain will be super cool.
I'm pretty sure this is the base model Z06 without the high downforce pack. The front bumper has a different design for sure, the side vent is slightly different, and it feels like the front and rear fenders are a little wider which would track with their previous Z06 optioned cars. It's subtle differences, but it is different. The camouflaged test cars are also wearing a different rear treatment without the quad rectangle exhausts, so that should be a nice change too. If you were expecting a radical re-design then I think you're going to be disappoiinted. Even the previous C6/C7 Z06 models were only minor tweaks to the existing form.

I'm pretty sure this is the base model Z06 without the high downforce pack. The front bumper has a different design for sure, the side vent is slightly different, and it feels like the front and rear fenders are a little wider which would track with their previous Z06 optioned cars. It's subtle differences, but it is different. The camouflaged test cars are also wearing a different rear treatment without the quad rectangle exhausts, so that should be a nice change too. If you were expecting a radical re-design then I think you're going to be disappoiinted. Even the previous C6/C7 Z06 models were only minor tweaks to the existing form.
Funny thing is, I can pick out a C7Z from a base stingray in about 2 seconds in traffic. Just saw a C6 ZR1 this past weekend and I noticed it instantly from pretty far away. Maybe over time your eyes just get used to looking at subtle cues. Who knows, maybe that one available stock photo doesn't do it justice and it looks much different in person. Can't wait to hear that engine at full tilt though. Sounds really good from the clips so far.

I actually like the C7 looks. I'd never buy one, but it looks good. The C8, nah, not a chance.

Reactions: 2112
Funny thing is, I can pick out a C7Z from a base stingray in about 2 seconds in traffic. Just saw a C6 ZR1 this past weekend and I noticed it instantly from pretty far away. Maybe over time your eyes just get used to looking at subtle cues. Who knows, maybe that one available stock photo doesn't do it justice and it looks much different in person. Can't wait to hear that engine at full tilt though. Sounds really good from the clips so far.
The subtle differences are here too. Note the different shapes in the front grill, the completely painted lower splitter, extra fender crease on the front fender (probably to indicate the wider stance), and the extra black and altered shape on the side vent. Just some of the identifying elements of the Z06 vs base. That hideous size vent was one of the things I hated most about the C8 and the Z06 seems to have totally fixed it for me. Also judging by the line in the door, which is probably carried over from the base C8, the entire rear fender is wider too as expected. The ridge that used to begin in the door and intersected with the rear vent is now terminating entirely inside the vent which means the rears are probably an inch and a half wider or so per side.

Base C8 top - Z06 C8 bottom
Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

The subtle differences are here too. Note the different shapes in the front grill, the completely painted lower splitter, extra fender crease on the front fender (probably to indicate the wider stance), and the extra black and altered shape on the side vent. Just some of the identifying elements of the Z06 vs base. That hideous size vent was one of the things I hated most about the C8 and the Z06 seems to have totally fixed it for me. Also judging by the line in the door, which is probably carried over from the base C8, the entire rear fender is wider too as expected. The ridge that used to begin in the door and intersected with the rear vent is now terminating entirely inside the vent which means the rears are probably an inch and a half wider or so per side.

Base C8 top - Z06 C8 bottom
View attachment 223125
View attachment 223126
Yep, once you have the two models side by side in the same color it does make the differences more obvious. Somebody made the C8Z side vent look like a fish and now I can't ever unsee it, lol.

I find it funny that we criticize the C8 models for looking too similar when we drive mustang-based GT500s.

I had a C7 that I traded in for my GT500 and I agree that departing from the batman styling was a welcome change. As with the previous gen cars, the Z06 will really be different once you have it next to a base model car. The C8Z will be a paradigm change in American sports car performance. Frankly, I tried to reserve one instead of a GT500...but dealerships are 100s of reservations deep. Heck...one of the national top corvette dealers is 500+ reservations deep on the C8Z as of two months ago.

I just wished GM chose different color to display the car with...silver is just bleh...

I find it funny that we criticize the C8 models for looking too similar when we drive mustang-based GT500s.

I had a C7 that I traded in for my GT500 and I agree that departing from the batman styling was a welcome change. As with the previous gen cars, the Z06 will really be different once you have it next to a base model car. The C8Z will be a paradigm change in American sports car performance. Frankly, I tried to reserve one instead of a GT500...but dealerships are 100s of reservations deep. Heck...one of the national top corvette dealers is 500+ reservations deep on the C8Z as of two months ago.

I just wished GM chose different color to display the car with...silver is just bleh...
Well, for one thing even the base GT500 is a lot more aggressive looking and a lot more distinguishable from a base Mustang. YMMV.

Discussion starter · #55 ·
Well, for one thing even the base GT500 is a lot more aggressive looking and a lot more distinguishable from a base Mustang. YMMV.
Completely agree! There is no mistaking a GT500 for a non Shelby Mustang.

That's debatable. Like this silver C8Z, it's based upon the color. My solid black GT500 looks similar to other solid black mustangs from about 100ft away. Car guys will notice the differences (just like they would between a narrow and wide body Corvette), but the majority I'd people just see another mustang.

That's debatable. Like this silver C8Z, it's based upon the color. My solid black GT500 looks similar to other solid black mustangs from about 100ft away. Car guys will notice the differences (just like they would between a narrow and wide body Corvette), but the majority I'd people just see another mustang.
Fair point, dark colors tend to mask the contours on the car a bit (front end, vents, aero bits, swing etc).

Surprisingly, this car gets noticed a lot more than the Viper I drove for 6 years. Who knows. 🤷‍♂️

41 - 60 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.