Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
141 - 160 of 161 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 gt500, twister orange
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
We all understand why they do it lol. No need to defend them. It makes no sense how they apply it. All drivers including the instructors have to adhere to this rule. In my opinion it is a mass punishment. Isn’t this why they have different levels of driver ability? Or why you can get insurance? It’s silly to me to call it a driving school and not teach people to drive the car as it is. Might as well put a governor on them. Your taking away one of the best parts of the car. It’s like banning fireworks because some idiot blew his finger off or gum because someone choked on it.
That being said it was fun to attend the school just wasn’t to as fond of the time spent on the roval. Just my 2 cents
Well, I hear you and you have excellent points. I feel that the Blue Oval is giving us a deal (and I signed up for the insurance and tapes) and this is why (values are values to me :) :

- You're gonna eat the tires, front pads, and maybe 6 tanks of gas? Value = $2k plus (track day in your own car with all the expenses could be $1200 plus)

- You're gonna get to drive your car but not your car and treat it in a way you wouldn't do normally (well maybe most of us but not Tim :). Value = $2k

- Yes, they might have some rules for safety because of people with little or no experience who want to just look at their cars, keep em low mileage for investment. I went to the Mazda MX-5 "Racing school" from Skip Barber and it was somewhat lame... you start off 20 secs apart and really don't learn how to pass. It is the nature of the business.

- The instructors will see who can drive, who are in danger of hurting themselves and the car. They will adjust accordingly. I'm a retired person, happy to have a nice time at 75 to 80% of my potential.

- I'm not been to Charlotte, it is a vacation too.

Your mileage may vary, obviously. :)

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I don’t see the point of even signing up now. With the cost of the trip, hotels, paying for the guest experience, video package, insurance, etc, I figured the track attack would cost me $1500-2k. It is not worth that if I don’t get to experience anything I can’t experience on the street. If the instructors are also limited to 3rd and up, the pro ride will be pretty tame too. Bill the people who wreck the cars and don’t get the insurance. Don’t ruin it for everybody else. This really sucks.
Just the ride with the instructor driving with you a passenger is an experience you may not want to miss. The drag strip, I thought, was more fun. You get to spend time with others that are just as excited as you are about being the proud owner of such an amazing and fun car. It certainly was an experience I couldn’t stop thinking about for days. Worth every dollar in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Just the ride with the instructor driving with you a passenger is an experience you may not want to miss. The drag strip, I thought, was more fun. You get to spend time with others that are just as excited as you are about being the proud owner of such an amazing and fun car. It certainly was an experience I couldn’t stop thinking about for days. Worth every dollar in my opinion.
Absolutely. I've never been on a drag strip ever myself, really looking forward to that experience, especially in our cars which are capable of sub 11.5secs!

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
You will have a real heavy carry on with you on your return home. It will have your name on it which I thought was a nice parting gift.
Wow, are they giving me a gift or am I buying a lot of Merch? [Edit: ok you said gift! I'm more happy now. Thank you!]

I was looking at the confirmation they sent me and it includes:

"*The Speedway Club Restaurant Dress Code: The dress code consists of business casual/country club casual such as dress pants and capris, golf-style/walking shorts. We will allow jeans, jean shorts, running shoes and casual shirts. Jackets and ties are not required. No screen-printed t-shirts, undershirts, cut-off shorts, athletic wear, baseball caps, torn or tattered clothing, or beach style flip-flops."

I thought okay good. I mostly live in jean shorts or jeans, and running shoes, a tshirt with a flannel colared shirt on top.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Ken, I did not attend the welcome reception they have the night before your first day. I didn’t fly, I drove from Florida and just wasn’t up for it. It will probably be nice as you will get to meet the people you will be driving with. It’s just a fun experience all around. They do have a nice retail shop there and if you like something you may want to get it when you arrive. Otherwise, by the end of the day it’s pretty picked over.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
Ken, I did not attend the welcome reception they have the night before your first day. I didn’t fly, I drove from Florida and just wasn’t up for it. It will probably be nice as you will get to meet the people you will be driving with. It’s just a fun experience all around. They do have a nice retail shop there and if you like something you may want to get it when you arrive. Otherwise, by the end of the day it’s pretty picked over.
Ok, thanks much. I didn't know the reception was optional but I will try to make it. Since I will be on Mon/Tue I will probably try to arrive the Fri before and see the city for the weekend.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Ok, thanks much. I didn't know the reception was optional but I will try to make it. Since I will be on Mon/Tue I will probably try to arrive the Fri before and see the city for the weekend.
I wish I would have gone with more time to tour the city. This caught my eye, maybe others can share if they got to visit.

·
Premium Member
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP Carbonized Gray
871 Posts
I wish I would have gone with more time to tour the city. This caught my eye, maybe others can share if they got to visit.

Thank you so much for sharing this Barb. My wife and I are just starting to talk about what else to do while we are in that area. I see they are having a Bullitt Mustang Car Show at the Museum the day after our track day, so definitely this is stop #1.

Any other ideas anyone has to share...please do.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
44,112 Posts
Absolutely. I've never been on a drag strip ever myself, really looking forward to that experience, especially in our cars which are capable of sub 11.5secs!
I highly recommend you practice the two feet launch that you’ll be doing that day. It’s easy to dork-up if you haven’t done it previously. I recommend using your normal right foot hitting the brake getting into position. This keeps you from smacking your head on the windshield when applying the brake with your left foot coming to a stop since you don’t have muscle memory braking with your left foot. Once stopped, swap feet on the brake pedal and get on the gas with your right foot. You will lift your LEFT foot when it’s time to go!
One day I will bring my car all the way from middle east to USA and participate 🙏
As Shawn pointed out, this is the new car owner’s experience (not used car purchase) that is done in Ford’s cars. It’s a nice benefit provided as a courtesy by Ford.

·
Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
9,250 Posts
Ken, I did not attend the welcome reception they have the night before your first day. I didn’t fly, I drove from Florida and just wasn’t up for it. It will probably be nice as you will get to meet the people you will be driving with. It’s just a fun experience all around.
I did likewise because we just decided to make a mini-vacation out of the trip. We were pretty pooped as well from our second day behind the wheel and when we had big black clouds rolling in that evening, we decided to blow off the reception. They did reach out to me after the reception, to tell me to be there early enough the next morning to check in. No doubt to determine if we made it too. Just get there when they open the doors at 7:30 the next morning and you won't hold up the show. We did take a ride out to the speedway after we checked into our hotel to figure out where we were supposed to be going that evening and to find the school. As an added bonus we got a look at the cars which were inside a fenced area.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Scheduled for Nov 7 and Nov 9.

141 - 160 of 161 Posts