Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CFTP Carbonized Grey
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have actively followed the “2022 GT500 Order/Tracking” thread and the majority of orders, deliveries seem to be the HE. There is a lot of talk about future values of HE based on GT350Rs outcome but that car was limited to 280 while with the GT500s it seems that all other colors are rare and the HE is the most common produced. What do you all think?

·
Registered
'22 GT500
9 Posts
Take my comment with a grain of salt, I am new to the Shelby family, but based on some recent personal shopping and minimal conversing with Ford...it seems to be about 30%-35% are HE. Maybe more are being made that are direct orders and going unaccounted for, but even the Ford rep last week ballpark about 30% of his calls are about GT500 HE. Include the production numbers from Ford in 2021, and general estimates of previous years productions...it all boils down to around 4,000 GT500's made this year.

*Again, that math is not confirmed by Ford but calculated based on Ford productions and recent years production.

Let's just say that math at least puts us in the ballpark, it would calculate that less than 1,500 HE made.

I think the real question is beyond your GT500 being a HE, is your HE painted or vinyl stripes? Based on my shopping experience less than 25% of the HE were painted stripes and a little less are HE Golden Tickets...HE CFTP.

Now if the concern is if the HE will hold its value because it is "rare"...it is definitely going to be a rare edition. I found 2 1967 Brittney Blues for sale two weeks ago and they were asking an average of $130,000.

$130,000 is good return on your money, considering owners enjoyed the car (had around 40,000 miles on each) and the inflation value of the car in 1967 (in today's money) would have cost around $35,000. So it is a $95,000 return on your money.

If you are wanting a unique version of the GT500, the HE is a great car. If you are wanting to increase the rarity of the car, make sure you get your HE CFTP. I have "heard" that trim being sold for $190,000. However, I don't know if the 3 on eBay last week sold at $170,000-$175,000. That is still around $60,000 over sticker.

Also remember, Ford is changing to the S560. This could be the last year a Shelby Mustang is produced with a full ICE Predator engine. It is definitely the last year of the sixth generation and for what it is worth, Chevy is killing the Camaro after the sixth generation.

A lot is speculation. But if you want to increase your value the most, keep your miles low and garage kept. IMO, the HE GT500 is a good buy and will hold its value extremely well and you should also enjoy it along the way.

*For what it is worth, I got vinyl stripes, even though it may not be as rare on HE, it still is a Shelby GT500 HE :) It may bring less value later than painted stripes but it also costs less today too.

If you search MECUM recent auctions, there is a Shelby of some sort in the Top 10 at almost every auction...sometimes more than one. And they almost always sell for over $120,000+. In short, it's hard to be right side up when trading on cars...but a Shelby HE "CFTP if you can afford to go all out" gives you a really good chance.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take my comment with a grain of salt, I am new to the Shelby family, but based on some recent personal shopping and minimal conversing with Ford...it seems to be about 30%-35% are HE. Maybe more are being made that are direct orders and going unaccounted for, but even the Ford rep last week ballpark about 30% of his calls are about GT500 HE. Include the production numbers from Ford in 2021, and general estimates of previous years productions...it all boils down to around 4,000 GT500's made this year.

*Again, that math is not confirmed by Ford but calculated based on Ford productions and recent years production.

Let's just say that math at least puts us in the ballpark, it would calculate that less than 1,500 HE made.

I think the real question is beyond your GT500 being a HE, is your HE painted or vinyl stripes? Based on my shopping experience less than 25% of the HE were painted stripes and a little less are HE Golden Tickets...HE CFTP.

Now if the concern is if the HE will hold its value because it is "rare"...it is definitely going to be a rare edition. I found 2 1967 Brittney Blues for sale two weeks ago and they were asking an average of $130,000.

$130,000 is good return on your money, considering owners enjoyed the car (had around 40,000 miles on each) and the inflation value of the car in 1967 (in today's money) would have cost around $35,000. So it is a $95,000 return on your money.

If you are wanting a unique version of the GT500, the HE is a great car. If you are wanting to increase the rarity of the car, make sure you get your HE CFTP. I have "heard" that trim being sold for $190,000. However, I don't know if the 3 on eBay last week sold at $170,000-$175,000. That is still around $60,000 over sticker.

Also remember, Ford is changing to the S560. This could be the last year a Shelby Mustang is produced with a full ICE Predator engine. It is definitely the last year of the sixth generation and for what it is worth, Chevy is killing the Camaro after the sixth generation.

A lot is speculation. But if you want to increase your value the most, keep your miles low and garage kept. IMO, the HE GT500 is a good buy and will hold its value extremely well and you should also enjoy it along the way.

*For what it is worth, I got vinyl stripes, even though it may not be as rare on HE, it still is a Shelby GT500 HE :) It may bring less value later than painted stripes but it also costs less today too.

If you search MECUM recent auctions, there is a Shelby of some sort in the Top 10 at almost every auction...sometimes more than one. And they almost always sell for over $120,000+. In short, it's hard to be right side up when trading on cars...but a Shelby HE "CFTP if you can afford to go all out" gives you a really good chance.
Thank you for your thoughts! It makes sense from that perspective and yes it has all factors that make it more favorable than other trims. I do think that the large number produced will bring down the expected values and will be more closer to other CFTP. Just contemplating that paying over msrp $20k to get one will be worth upgrading my ‘21 CFTP

·
Registered
'22 GT500
9 Posts
I just looked this up...according the internet there were 2,048 GT500's produced in 1967 and 438 were Brittney Blue = 21% were Brittney Blues "HE." The factory price in 1967 was less than $5,000.

There is a 1967 GT500 I just found for sale "HE" asking $185,000. That is crazy money!

But yes, is one better than the other. According to a friend who works at a car museum...your car increases value with less miles, less produced, keep it in mint condition, close to stock, and win awards at car shows along the way.

Without doubt there will be less HE than "red" or "yellow" GT500s. So there maybe a lot produced this year, but in the history of GT500s. There were 438 made in 1967 and let's just say 1,500 made in 2022. Your HE will be one of 2,000 GT500s ever made.

There are more than 2,000 CFTP GT500s.

This is just my point of view. I just agreed to $16,000 over MSRP to get mine with vinyl stripes. I know it is crazy, but think how hard it will be to buy this car from an individual after they dealer sells it. And how many will there be to ever pick from. I know mine won't be for sale :)

And every car wants over MSRP or the dreaded ADM. Is it worth it? I think so. But as my wife points out, I am not always right.

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just looked this up...according the internet there were 2,048 GT500's produced in 1967 and 438 were Brittney Blue = 21% were Brittney Blues "HE." The factory price in 1967 was less than $5,000.

There is a 1967 GT500 I just found for sale "HE" asking $185,000. That is crazy money!

But yes, is one better than the other. According to a friend who works at a car museum...your car increases value with less miles, less produced, keep it in mint condition, close to stock, and win awards at car shows along the way.

Without doubt there will be less HE than "red" or "yellow" GT500s. So there maybe a lot produced this year, but in the history of GT500s. There were 438 made in 1967 and let's just say 1,500 made in 2022. Your HE will be one of 2,000 GT500s ever made.

There are more than 2,000 CFTP GT500s.

This is just my point of view. I just agreed to $16,000 over MSRP to get mine with vinyl stripes. I know it is crazy, but think how hard it will be to buy this car from an individual after they dealer sells it. And how many will there be to ever pick from. I know mine won't be for sale :)

And every car wants over MSRP or the dreaded ADM. Is it worth it? I think so. But as my wife points out, I am not always right.

Good luck with your decision!
Thank you! You do have a point and I really do like the color and how the carbon fiber shows against it. It looks really clean.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the real winner is the HE CFTP with Painted Stripes. Which I didn’t order!😢
Lol, you are making me wonder now. The one that the dealer is getting that I was considering is without painted stripes also.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFTP, 2022 CFTP HE June 24th
163 Posts
Lol, you are making me wonder now. The one that the dealer is getting that I was considering is without painted stripes also.
Yeah. I’m torn. My is sitting in Flat Rock waiting to be delivered. It was ordered as an investment piece. But now I’m second guessing if it is a wise decision.

·
Registered
2018 GT350
2,969 Posts
I've stated it here before, but the question keeps coming up so I'll state it again.

When I think of historic GT350's I immediately think of Wimbledon White with Guards Blue stripes. Bringing that color back in 2020 was a move that ford should have really done on the 50th anniversary cars in 2015, but at least they got it right in the final year of production.

When I think of a classic GT500, I don't go to a specific color instantly the way I do with the GT350 and I don't think that Brittany Blue is an exceptional color. In fact I feel it's the least impressive of all of the colors available on the 60's GT500's. Of the colors that were available that they could have brought back for the Heritage Edition I would have preferred to see them in this order.

Acapulco Blue
Candy Apple Red
Raven Black (especially with the red stripes to tie into the red brakes and some red badging like the old "red stripe package" on the 07-09 GT500's)
Clearwater Aqua
Dark Moss Green
Silver Frost

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
2,175 Posts
I've stated it here before, but the question keeps coming up so I'll state it again.

When I think of historic GT350's I immediately think of Wimbledon White with Guards Blue stripes. Bringing that color back in 2020 was a move that ford should have really done on the 50th anniversary cars in 2015, but at least they got it right in the final year of production.
Just a couple things. It's Guardsman Blue. And the 50th Anniversary Mustangs were either Wimbledon White or a shade of blue (Kona I think, but not sure right now). So the Wimbledon white did come back for those. In fact, for the 1964 50th anniversary cars, the only choice was Wimbledon White or Blue, cuz all the other options were already set. And it really shoulda been Guardsman Blue instead of Kona, because Guardsman Blue was only available for the '64.5 Mustangs, with the exception of the GT350 stripes. That would've been a much better choice. Especially since Guardsman Blue is still the best blue Ford has put on a Mustang.

·
Registered
2018 GT350
2,969 Posts
Just a couple things. It's Guardsman Blue. And the 50th Anniversary Mustangs were either Wimbledon White or a shade of blue (Kona I think, but not sure right now). So the Wimbledon white did come back for those. In fact, for the 1964 50th anniversary cars, the only choice was Wimbledon White or Blue, cuz all the other options were already set. And it really shoulda been Guardsman Blue instead of Kona, because Guardsman Blue was only available for the '64.5 Mustangs, with the exception of the GT350 stripes. That would've been a much better choice. Especially since Guardsman Blue is still the best blue Ford has put on a Mustang.
I know the 50th anniversary Mustang GT's came in Wimbledon White, but the even smaller run of 2015 GT350 R's were produced in Oxford White for some reason, missing a massive opportunity.

Reactions: AZ21GT500

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
2,175 Posts
I know the 50th anniversary Mustang GT's came in Wimbledon White, but the even smaller run of 2015 GT350 R's were produced in Oxford White for some reason, missing a massive opportunity.
Yeah, but it seems they were saving the best color combo for the Heritage Editions later, even tho it woulda been better for the '15/'16 years.

·
Registered
2022 GT500 HE CFTP w/Black Painted Stripes, 2021 GT500 Rapid Red w/Painted Black Stripes
82 Posts

I went against the grain on HE CFTP I built. Went with painted Black stripes. Not a color combo of the past but I like to be different :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2018 GT350
2,969 Posts
I went against the grain on HE CFTP I built. Went with painted Black stripes. Not a color combo of the past but I like to be different :ROFLMAO:
I think that combo looks better than the blue with white stripes and black wheels and red stripes. Just too many colors going on there for my personal taste.

·
Registered
2022 GT500HE CFTP Painted N0012
217 Posts

When I think of a classic GT500, I don't go to a specific color instantly the way I do with the GT350 and I don't think that Brittany Blue is an exceptional color. In fact I feel it's the least impressive of all of the colors available on the 60's GT500's. Of the colors that were available that they could have brought back for the Heritage Edition I would have preferred to see them in this order.

Acapulco Blue
Candy Apple Red
Raven Black (especially with the red stripes to tie into the red brakes and some red badging like the old "red stripe package" on the 07-09 GT500's)
Clearwater Aqua
Dark Moss Green
Silver Frost
You may have said it before, but I would ask you to look at your statements. Everything is “I feel, I think, I believe”. It’s subjective to your personal likes, but your personal preference doesn’t trump what Ford decides is a Heritage Edition which is to celebrate the 1967 Shelby GT500.

Brittany Blue was selected as the 2022 Heritage Edition special color because Ford Motor Company selected it and deemed it the color that they wanted to bring back—a color that was only used in the Shelby lineup in 1967. So regardless of whether you like Brittany Blue or if you liked another original 1967 color better, Ford says Brittany Blue is the color that best harkens back to their past, and it is what they choose.

I’m not a big fan of the Alan Mann Ford GT or fact that the Holman-Moody Ford GT has a red mustache instead of a pink one like it did in 1966, but both are Heritage Editions, Ford has the final word.

Since this Heritage celebrates the first GT500, only 1967 colors were considered. Silver Frost and Clearwater Aqua were not 1967 Shelby GT500 colors.

·
Registered
2022 GT500HE CFTP Painted N0012
217 Posts
Speaking to an expert on the subject, he said:

Significance of Brittany Blue, a study was done in 1980 via SAAC (Shelby American Automobile Club) with their experts which determined which color held the highest value. That study has been revised in the past years with SAAC judges and Shelby experts like Jim Wicks, Bob Gaines, and Vern Estes who examined auction sales records from Mecum, Barrett-Jackson and other auction results of 1967 GT500s which showed that Brittany Blue and Nightmist Blue consistently held as the highest valued vehicles. Lime Gold and White being the lowest.

So with that data, we can see why Ford selected Brittany Blue. If not Brittany, it would have been Nightmist.

·
Registered
2022 Atlas Blue GT500
63 Posts

Acapulco Blue
Candy Apple Red
Clearwater Aqua
Dark Moss Green
Silver Frost
I agree 100% I'm not a fan of the Brittany Blue either. I could have ordered any options I wanted and went with a base car in Atlas Blue with white vinyl side and hood stripes, standard seats. The only option is the carbon fiber IP. I paid 90K including tax and could easily get over 100K tomorrow.

·
Registered
2018 GT350
2,969 Posts
You may have said it before, but I would ask you to look at your statements. Everything is “I feel, I think, I believe”. It’s subjective to your personal likes, but your personal preference doesn’t trump what Ford decides is a Heritage Edition which is to celebrate the 1967 Shelby GT500.
It's my opinion not a fact. I understand why Ford did it, it's just not a color I like compared to all of the other "heritage" colors available. Of the people I've spoken to in person who are current Shelby owners, not a single one of them selected Brittany blue when asked what their favorite heritage color was. I think Ford could have painted the new 2022 GT500 HE any color they wanted and it would always hold a price premium above the standard model cars. I would love to see a deeper analysis into the auction pricing information you mentioned to better understand timing of sale, mileage, and condition of the various cars.

·
Registered
2018 GT350
2,969 Posts
All in all, I think Ford did a nice job with the 2022 colors although Wimbledon White would have gotten my vote for the HE.
I love the green and purple they offer, the blues are amazing, and love seeing yellow return (although they call it cyber orange, seems less orange than my car).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts