Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 CFTP
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, 735 miles on my 2022 CFTP. Changed oil at 650 miles, I reused O-rings on filter housing and oil leaked there. Replaced them with new, no more leak there. Went on a drive yesterday and noticed burning oil smell. Got home and here's the result. Somehow, oil is leaking down the manifold, engine mount and onto the belly pan. As you can see in the photos, there's oil on the exhaust manifold studs. Not sure how oil would get that high up on the motor.

Belly pan is off, ran car on jack stands, cant find the leak. Plan on driving it in the next couple days once it is dry out hoping that getting it hot and getting good oil pressure will expose the leak. Appreciate you all's thoughts.

Watch Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Muffler
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Grille Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Premium Member
2022 CFTP
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seems like it has to be the valve cover. Only way oil could leak on top of the manifold that I can think of.

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 HP Carbonized Metallic Gray
1,932 Posts
Is there any chance that oil splashed up on those areas? Or possibly dripped from a dipstick or during refill?

·
Premium Member
2022 CFTP
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there any chance that oil splashed up on those areas? Or possibly dripped from a dipstick or during refill?
Unfortunately not. Based on the photo I just posted seems like it’s definitely coming from the valve cover. @Goose17 have you heard/seen anyone have this happen?

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
Unfortunately not. Based on the photo I just posted seems like it’s definitely coming from the valve cover. @Goose17 have you heard/seen anyone have this happen?
Oh shit I see that one now! Make that appointment at the dealership hopefully it hasn’t caused any damage!

·
Premium Member
2022 CFTP
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh shit I see that one now! Make that appointment at the dealership hopefully it hasn’t caused any damage!
Going to start calling tomorrow and see if I can find a good one to take it to.
Don’t think it could’ve done harm. I’ve been checking oil level while I’ve been trying to pinpoint the issue.
Bummed!

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
Going to start calling tomorrow and see if I can find a good one to take it to.
Don’t think it could’ve done harm. I’ve been checking oil level while I’ve been trying to pinpoint the issue.
Bummed!
Ask when you call if they have a certified GT tech. Those guys get more schooling than an MD and know all Ford Performance vehicles very well. My dealer has a GT Master Tech who it the only one allowed to touch my Shelby’s.

At least you caught it before it became a big problem congrats on that! It sucks but it’s probably a pinched/broken seal.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
43,024 Posts
Haven’t seen anything like this across social media Cole. I moved your post here to our problems section. Hopefully the problem and subsequent fix is something quick/easy. Please let us know what the dealer finds out.

·
Premium Member
2022 CFTP
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haven’t seen anything like this across social media Cole. I moved your post here to our problems section. Hopefully the problem and subsequent fix is something quick/easy. Please let us know what the dealer finds out.
Thanks, Tim

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just seems like too much of a coincidence that there is this oil that appears immediately after you’ve changed your oil by yourself for the first time and noted that you had an oil leak because you did not use a new O-ring on the first try. If your car is still up on the jackstands maybe get in the air and dry off all the oil you see including the immediate filter housing area and above where you see it splattered go out and take some drive and then come back and see if the new loyal has appeared or drip down anywhere my money is on the fact that it probably did not and it was just user error on the first go around when changing the oil.😉

·
Premium Member
2022 CFTP
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just seems like too much of a coincidence that there is this oil that appears immediately after you’ve changed your oil by yourself for the first time and noted that you had an oil leak because you did not use a new O-ring on the first try. If your car is still up on the jackstands maybe get in the air and dry off all the oil you see including the immediate filter housing area and above where you see it splattered go out and take some drive and then come back and see if the new loyal has appeared or drip down anywhere my money is on the fact that it probably did not and it was just user error on the first go around when changing the oil.😉
Thanks for the thoughts. Unfortunately, I tried this and the problem persisted. Starting to think original leak was not from the filter housing and actually the valve covers leaking down and giving the perception that the leak was occurring at the filter housing.

I took a video yesterday and could see drops of oil forming where the valve cover meets the head. The most-recent photo I posted was a screenshot of that video.

·
Premium Member
2022 CFTP
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just by looking at pic and seeing these 3 drips at the studs would tell me either rubber VC gasket NG or its loose. Have you tried to tighten the VC bolts?
View attachment 242668
A little and they were tight. Small(ish) bolts and aluminum spooks me. If I knew what they were suppose to be torqued to I would’ve tried that though. Bought a workshop manual today. Awaiting it.

·
Premium Member
2022 CFTP
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Update: Tearing things down to replace valve cover seal and found the culprit. Torn spark plug seal. Interesting. Would make sense to assume this occurred when the valve cover was installed. Appears as if it was torn by the spark plug tube.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Carbon

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Grey

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
43,024 Posts
Reactions: ColeH and AZ21GT500

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
Update: Tearing things down to replace valve cover seal and found the culprit. Torn spark plug seal. Interesting. Would make sense to assume this occurred when the valve cover was installed. Appears as if it was torn by the spark plug tube. View attachment 243007
View attachment 243008
Bravo man that’s a great catch!! You probably helped many other members if that becomes an issue in the future.

·
Premium Member
2022 CFTP
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@AZ21GT500 thanks and hope so! Turns out the fix for this is a new valve cover, which shockingly are only $200. The tool to press the old seal out and the new one in are $400! These aluminum valve covers are on what appears to be eternal backorder which really sucks…

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
@AZ21GT500 thanks and hope so! Turns out the fix for this is a new valve cover, which shockingly are only $200. The tool to press the old seal out and the new one in are $400! These aluminum valve covers are on what appears to be eternal backorder which really sucks…
That absolutely sucks! So are you paying or is Ford paying? I’d be calling Romeo and say hey y’all goofed this up, cough up a ready to go valve cover stat!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts