Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 GT500 Grabber Yellow Handling Pack
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been noticing some extra wind noise in my GT500. Looking around I noticed my driver side window does not sit flush with the rear quarter window and I think this may be the culprit. I know there is adjustments that can be made to the glass anyone had this issue. Don’t really want to have a dealer taking my foot apart if this kind of adjustment can’t be made.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Yellow Automotive lighting

Vehicle Hood Yellow Motor vehicle Car

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is there a way to adjust the glass tilt, in/out

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
35,367 Posts
Is there a way to adjust the glass tilt, in/out
I haven’t seen anyone mention this issue anywhere. If that was my car, I’d go to the dealer, but “supervise” them while they solve the issue.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven’t seen anyone mention this issue anywhere. If that was my car, I’d go to the dealer, but “supervise” them while they solve the issue.
I took a look in the shop manual their is an in/out adjustment, adjusting the glass runs and regulator rails. Does require removing all the door trim, speaker, and water shield. Have you ever had a dealership give you a hard time about staying with the car during warranty work? I would like to make sure they take care disassembling/reassembling the door trim. I already have an appointment this week for a warranty alignment so I will bring it up then.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,856 Posts
I took a look in the shop manual their is an in/out adjustment, adjusting the glass runs and regulator rails. Does require removing all the door trim, speaker, and water shield. Have you ever had a dealership give you a hard time about staying with the car during warranty work? I would like to make sure they take care disassembling/reassembling the door trim. I already have an appointment this week for a warranty alignment so I will bring it up then.
If this ever happened, it would be my last trip to THAT dealership..

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
35,367 Posts
My local dealership normally has zero issue with me hanging out. There has been a couple times though recently when management was observing and I was asked to wait outside due to “COVID.” I just watched them work through the door/windows. They still allowed me to drive the car in/out of the service area.

Reactions: mchulst

·
Registered
244 Posts
as posted adjusting this requires a door panel to be removed along with a few other things.
to do the actual adjustment you need to pull the BOTTOM of the window regulator rail to the opposite direction of how you want the glass to move at the top.
in this case you will have to move the rails to the outside of the car. there are screw adjusters on the rails to allow this adjustment. i could show you this on a regulator i have laying around. the problem is the part is in storage.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
as posted adjusting this requires a door panel to be removed along with a few other things.
to do the actual adjustment you need to pull the BOTTOM of the window regulator rail to the opposite direction of how you want the glass to move at the top.
in this case you will have to move the rails to the outside of the car. there are screw adjusters on the rails to allow this adjustment. i could show you this on a regulator i have laying around. the problem is the part is in storage.
Seems like a fairly easy adjustment to make, might be better off just taking my time and handling it myself rather than fool with the dealership on this one.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i am a autobody tech with a LOT of years experience. i got my first official autobody job repairing cars in 1978. started sweeping floors and cleaning up cars in 1976 at the tender age of 11. i currently work at a VW Mazda dealer bodyshop. been here for 30 years.
if you really don't know what you are doing messing things up can be really easy. i have lost count a LONG time ago on how many times i had to take over a glass or door adjustment job that was messed up by a inexperienced tech.
i really haven't worked on a S550 car so my info could be wrong. glass and doors adjusts basically the same on ALL cars. it's the exact details on how differ between cars.
if you take your time and work slowly it can be done.
basically glass at the top is usually adjusted by moving the regulators at the bottom. and glass is adjusted at the belt line at the top of the regulators. there are usually adjustable stops to prevent it from moving to. far up near the belt line. and usually adjustable stops to also hold the glass out at the belt line. the biggest thing to remember is any attempted adjustments usually will move the glass in 3 dimensions. more specific, moving the glass in 1 location can move it up or down, in and out, and can tilt the glass up or down at the front or rear of the glass in relation on how it fits the window opening.

one thing to keep in mind. from my warranty experiences from working at new car dealer for a long time is once you attempt to adjust the glass yourself all warranty repairs on this type of repair will usually be voided. any trips to repair at the dealer afterwards if you can't do it will be paid by YOU NOT FORD..

·
Registered
2021 GT500
456 Posts
It’s under warranty, I would definitely take it to the dealer. What if you find something in there that prevents a perfect adjustment? You don’t want to be on the hook for repair on a brand new ride. I wouldn’t want that, if I were in your shoes….

·
Registered
231 Posts
Just my two cents...I work for the automotive supplier that makes the window regs for the S550 and the dealerships have a very specific set of tech instructions for post production glass adjust. The clamps that hold the glass are responsible for up, down and fore/aft adjustment, the screws at the bottom of the guide rails ONLY adjust cross-car or glass tip and in very small amounts. This may be all your car needs, however if the glass is not lined up at the rear edge or is not going all the way up into the header seal then the screws at the bottom of the rails will not get you there. The trim does have to come off I believe but I would let the dealership handle this one. There is an automated glass set fixture at the plant but if any work to the car like repairs happen AFTER the glass is set by the fixture then it's done manually off line and usually is never put back to it's proper position. The dealership SHOULD be able to get the glass back to it's proper pos if the process is followed correctly.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Also, just wanted to add that our Mustangs come with what is called "short drop" glass. You probably have noticed that when you pull your door handle the glass drops about 5-7mm to clear the header seal as you pull the door open. This is electronically controlled by the DCM in the door. The amount of glass that sticks up into the header seal is a predetermined amount and is important to get correct. The fixture at the plant does a great job of that but people after the fact don't know much about it, the dealership, if they're any good, will understand how that works and what the proper amount of glass needs to be under that header seal.

Something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, just wanted to add that our Mustangs come with what is called "short drop" glass. You probably have noticed that when you pull your door handle the glass drops about 5-7mm to clear the header seal as you pull the door open. This is electronically controlled by the DCM in the door. The amount of glass that sticks up into the header seal is a predetermined amount and is important to get correct. The fixture at the plant does a great job of that but people after the fact don't know much about it, the dealership, if they're any good, will understand how that works and what the proper amount of glass needs to be under that header seal.

Something to keep in mind.
Thank you for all the info. I took a look in the ship manual for the S550 and the procedure does look pretty straight forward, and has very detailed specs for the glass positioning. It seems like in my case it should only need an adjustment of the tilt of the glass. I feel pretty confident I could make the adjustment myself, but being under warranty, I’m just going to go ahead and let the dealership make the adjustment. I will make sure to stay with the tech just to make sure she is getting treated nicely during the process.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts