Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2021 GT500 Shelby & '69 Mach1
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seen this? Ford Updates the Mustang and Shelby GT500 for 2021 Model Year | Ford Mustang | SuperCars.net

Found this paragraph interesting - does this mean the handling package is CF for 2021?

The big news for the Mustang is that the Shelby GT500 will get the Carbon Fiber Handling Package. If you’re familiar with the car, you’ll know that you can get a Carbon Fiber Track Pack and a separate Handling Pack. This new package for 2021 more or less combines the two packages available in 2020 into one single package.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
30,838 Posts
Reactions: 4petesnake

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,838 Posts
I'm still waiting for the six speed manual option! 😂 😂
Legit question Mike:

If Ford offered a 6 speed manual 2022 GT500 for $80k-ish, would you trade your 350 in for it?

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFHP
45 Posts
As far as numbers built the CFHPs will likely be the most rare, being available just 2 of the 3 year expected run.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
2020 GT500
68 Posts
Legit question Mike:

If Ford offered a 6 speed manual 2022 GT500 for $80k-ish, would you trade your 350 in for it?
I would trade my 2020 GT500 for that LOL. I told myself I wouldn't miss rowing gears but I honestly do. The automatic is nice to jump in and drive, but I drive mine a few times a month so it's not bad having the manual.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,838 Posts
That's a tough question to answer. But right now, I think I would still keep my GT350.
I see a lot of similar posts across forums and Facebook... people clamoring for a manual S550 GT500. I often wonder how many would actually buy one if given the opportunity.

I’ve said it many times before... I was probably one of the biggest diehard manual-tranny Mustang guys! I was shocked at the DCT news when it was leaked! I approached the car reluctantly, but with an open mind at the Vegas unveiling event... I was blown away that day and knew from that point on what Jim Owens from FP meant... this car is made for a DCT... anything else would ruin the experience. Fortunately Ford still offers manual tranny Mustangs though for anyone that insists on one.

·
Registered
2020 Rapid Red CFTP
53 Posts
Here’s my $.02, if you have any urge for a 2020+ 500 manual, go take a M6 Hellcat for a spin. Aside for blowing the back tires off the car, they’re pretty useless. I thought the A8 in my second hellcat was the best of both worlds until this duel clutch

·
Premium Member
2013 GT500 and 2020 GT500
3,777 Posts
I'm still waiting for the six speed manual option! 😂 😂
I'm still waiting for twin nymphomaniac sisters to show up at my door begging for some loving and I have been waiting since I was 16 years old. Now I am afraid to open the door, I don't think I would survive the experience. .

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
307 Posts
I'm still waiting for twin nymphomaniac sisters to show up at my door begging for some loving and I have been waiting since I was 16 years old. Now I am afraid to open the door, I don't think I would survive the experience. .
Heh reminds me of the old joke --- trade your 40 year old for two 20s --- but you aren't wired for 220....

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,838 Posts
Heh reminds me of the old joke --- trade your 40 year old for two 20s --- but you aren't wired for 220....
That’s funny Phillip! 🤣

·
Registered
2021 Black on order.
20 Posts
Here’s my $.02, if you have any urge for a 2020+ 500 manual, go take a M6 Hellcat for a spin. Aside for blowing the back tires off the car, they’re pretty useless. I thought the A8 in my second hellcat was the best of both worlds until this duel clutch
But the Hellcat has a lot less grip doesn't it, manual or auto.

·
Registered
2020 GT500
234 Posts
Agreed. I had a 6mt challenger hellcat and stepped up to the auto only Redeye. I was blown away at the fast shifts and the “new” driving experience. The car has so much power, I just felt better in the auto. Don’t miss a manual one bit in the GT500. I daily drive an E39 M5 (6spd manual) so I get my manual fix every day. I think you’ll be surprised how the car drives with the DCT tranny.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFHP
45 Posts
Agreed. I had a 6mt challenger hellcat and stepped up to the auto only Redeye. I was blown away at the fast shifts and the “new” driving experience. The car has so much power, I just felt better in the auto. Don’t miss a manual one bit in the GT500. I daily drive an E39 M5 (6spd manual) so I get my manual fix every day. I think you’ll be surprised how the car drives with the DCT tranny.
Been enjoying an E46 M3 SMG for many years on track but it’s not good on dragstrip at all and never designed for. Was torn between GT350 vs GT500 over having shifting variety with the BMW. Decided on GT500 that’s set up for both track types, and when the SMG pump eventually goes in the M3 I’ll probably convert it to manual which is popular since the trans is the same, and get the different driving experience.

But to make the GT500 more engaging when cruising on the street it would have been nicer to have a shifter instead of the dial in addition to paddles like the SMG setup. Sure it’s better having both hands on the wheel with so much power in the GT500, but for street driving it gets some of the fun of a manual to push a stick shifter forward or reverse to change gears even without a clutch pedal. Maybe the aftermarket will come up with something. Also not sure of the size of the GT500 brake pedal, but to make left foot braking a little easier when on track in the M3 I swapped in the larger one from an automatic.

Reactions: BrakeFade

·
Registered
2020 GT500
234 Posts
But the Hellcat has a lot less grip doesn't it, manual or auto.
Mainly because it has the shittiest Pirelli tires you can imagine. The all seasons and summer options Dodge offers blows big time. You’re not gonna contain 700ft/lbs of torque without slicks but better tires makes a huge difference in the Hellcats.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,838 Posts
Been enjoying an E46 M3 SMG for many years on track but it’s not good on dragstrip at all and never designed for. Was torn between GT350 vs GT500 over having shifting variety with the BMW. Decided on GT500 that’s set up for both track types, and when the SMG pump eventually goes in the M3 I’ll probably convert it to manual which is popular since the trans is the same, and get the different driving experience.

But to make the GT500 more engaging when cruising on the street it would have been nicer to have a shifter instead of the dial in addition to paddles like the SMG setup. Sure it’s better having both hands on the wheel with so much power in the GT500, but for street driving it gets some of the fun of a manual to push a stick shifter forward or reverse to change gears even without a clutch pedal. Maybe the aftermarket will come up with something. Also not sure of the size of the GT500 brake pedal, but to make left foot braking a little easier when on track in the M3 I swapped in the larger one from an automatic.
Do you ever lock-in manual tranny mode when on the street? I often will use manual mode out cruising around and find it fun/engaging. When it’s time for balls-out performance driving though, I am in auto mode.

One word of caution with locking in manual mode... it’s easy to forget you are in that mode... run HARD up the rpm band and you’ll find the rev limiter! Ask me how I know...:cool:

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFHP
45 Posts
Do you ever lock-in manual tranny mode when on the street? I often will use manual mode out cruising around and find it fun/engaging. When it’s time for balls-out performance driving though, I am in auto mode.

One word of caution with locking in manual mode... it’s easy to forget you are in that mode... run HARD up the rpm band and you’ll find the rev limiter! Ask me how I know...:cool:
Can’t wait to try it, about 18 days until delivery and beautiful spring days in the northeast are making it harder.

Reactions: DKnight
1 - 20 of 33 Posts