Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Rapid Red
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on doing a slight paint correction and Chemical Guys Hydroslick coating on my new GT500 with vinyl stripes. Assuming I should clay bar and correct the stripes as well? They do have some slight imperfections I would like to try to get out. Also can I go over the stripes with the Hydro slick? First time doing this so being overly cautious.

Thanks!!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
31,646 Posts
I am planning on doing a slight paint correction and Chemical Guys Hydroslick coating on my new GT500 with vinyl stripes. Assuming I should clay bar and correct the stripes as well? They do have some slight imperfections I would like to try to get out. Also can I go over the stripes with the Hydro slick? First time doing this so being overly cautious.

Thanks!!
If this is your first time doing paint correction, I recommend practicing/honing your skills on your daily driver. There is definitely an art form to correcting. I have learned some lessons through the years that I would not have wanted to learn on my new Shelby.

Vinyl stripes can be corrected. Not sure if the new 500 has painted vinyl like the S197 500s, but both can be corrected.

If you are going to be correcting/polishing the whole car, you don’t need to use a clay bar.

I am a big fan of Meguiars Pro Speed Compound! I was using it yesterday to polish some parts after wet sanding... it’s good stuff!

Reactions: fletchffletch

·
Registered
2011 SVTPP GT500 Convertible, Silver
240 Posts
If the car is new, I would suggest doing a decontamination wash, then clay bar. As for paint correction, start with a light compound like Megs 205 with an orange pad. Really hard to mess that up. I mean you would have to be all thumbs to screw that up. Get good quality clay...3M makes the best IMO.

Yes, vinyl stripes can be corrected. Very light pressure and avoid heat by running the buffer on the slowest speed. Very light! I tape mine off overlapping the paint, then correct the paint, then tape the paint off slightly overlapping the stripes to avoid the buffer catching them somehow.

·
Registered
174 Posts
When I did my 07 it took me a week. It took a couple days just to tape everything off. I bought the Flex Polisher. Dont turn the speed up to high on the polisher. I run mine on 2 or 3. Good idea tp practice on the DD but remember once you start you will need to do the whole car. I was just wondering why you need to do a paint correction?
I also don't wash my car but the ones I do wash I use a blow dryer and don't wipe my cars dry. The less wiping you do on your car the less scratches you will get in the paint.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts