Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1381 - 1399 of 1399 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have been throwing a few bucks to the dealership every time I get a little ahead thinking that I had plenty of time to chip away at it. But it seams as though it is going quicker than a lot of other stories I am reading here. I think it was mid July when I placed my order. So I went to the dealership today and they asked me if I got the email. I said what email? That's when the sales manager told me it was in production and he thinks in another month it will be showing up. So how are you guys tracking your build?
Ron

·
Premium Member
2013 GT500 and 2020 GT500
3,934 Posts
I have been throwing a few bucks to the dealership every time I get a little ahead thinking that I had plenty of time to chip away at it. But it seams as though it is going quicker than a lot of other stories I am reading here. I think it was mid July when I placed my order. So I went to the dealership today and they asked me if I got the email. I said what email? That's when the sales manager told me it was in production and he thinks in another month it will be showing up. So how are you guys tracking your build?
Ron
Your VIN was sent to the plant for production on Sept 3rd, I doubt that it is in the Body Shop, that will probably happen next week. Have the dealer check the visibility report, that will show you the current status. My bet is that it will say In Production - Sent Plant. No physical work starts until it is in the Body Shop.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
2020 GT350R. GT500 on order
26 Posts
My CFTP painted stripe deal fell thru. I didn't want to give a deposit until they could prove they had an allocation. Ends up they didn't have any allocations. I actually think it was an honest mistake.

I went and looked at a base GT500 with track and tech pack - with the standard seats. I have to say - that could be a good daily driver. Easier to get in and out of, more creature comforts, not as low (I scrapped the front splitter twice on the GT350R) going to look at the GT500. They wanted $10K over. They went down to $8K. Are people paying over MSRP for base cars? It is a Twinkie to my GT350R (white with Kona stripes).

I am leaning towards a base car now. One of the best cars I have had was a 2016 Z06 M7. I drove it everywhere. Leave it at the airport. Not worry about the wing getting stolen like my 2019 ZR1. Not worry about whacking a wheel, etc.

I am probably over thinking it, but the case GT500 sure seems like it is calling my name.

D.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
35,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,385 ·
My CFTP painted stripe deal fell thru. I didn't want to give a deposit until they could prove they had an allocation. Ends up they didn't have any allocations. I actually think it was an honest mistake.

I went and looked at a base GT500 with track and tech pack - with the standard seats. I have to say - that could be a good daily driver. Easier to get in and out of, more creature comforts, not as low (I scrapped the front splitter twice on the GT350R) going to look at the GT500. They wanted $10K over. They went down to $8K. Are people paying over MSRP for base cars? It is a Twinkie to my GT350R (white with Kona stripes).

I am leaning towards a base car now. One of the best cars I have had was a 2016 Z06 M7. I drove it everywhere. Leave it at the airport. Not worry about the wing getting stolen like my 2019 ZR1. Not worry about whacking a wheel, etc.

I am probably over thinking it, but the case GT500 sure seems like it is calling my name.

D.
Sorry about the deal not working out. Yes, people are paying markups for base models. It MIGHT ease up a bit as we head into winter, but prices have been strong for now.

As for the base vs. CFTP, do you like your 350R or would you have preferred a base 350?

·
Registered
2020 GT350R. GT500 on order
26 Posts
Goose,
Slept on your question And here are some thoughts.

I actually tried to buy a HEP GT350 and the ADM was just crazy. i have to admit I did not even think about a new Mustang. I get them as rentals here and there, I never figured I would own one. Last one I owned was a 88 5.0 trunk. Well, the Shelby is a different animal. I didn’t go looking for a GT350. I actuary stopped in at a local dealership because i needed to get the Jeep I leave at the airport inspected and the Ford place is the nearest place. They had a 2020 GT350 HEP. I asked to sit in it and I was sold. I called them the next day and they wanted $100,000 for it, I did some looking around and 2020 production had ended so cars were drying up. i bought my R that night for a little over sticker. Would I be just as happy with a non-R. If it was a HEP - probably. I used to track my cars some. I honestly don’t have the time. Maybe when I retire - who knows. The rear visibility in R kinda kinda stinks, but it looks cool. The base GT500 rear wing is shorter. The exhaust is better on the R I am told. It is pretty awesome.

Honestly, I was not 100% sure I would like the Shelby as much as I do. I figured if I bought the R I could resale it without taking much if a hit.

i have a 2019 ZR1 Track pack M7 that is a real riot to drive. The rear wing does not impact visibility. It does make it harder to get cargo (and the top) in and out of the back. The wing is gigantic. Have to try a car on to see how it fits.

Given that the drivetrain is the identical (as far as I know - tell me if I am mistaken) between the GT500 models. Any GT500 seems to be one heck of a car.

I would for sure get the handling package.

The things I would miss out on with a base are the cool exposed carbon fiber wheels and the cool wing and the fact the CFTP sits 1/4“ lower. Also, mandatory recaro seats. Which for tracking the car are a plus.

I need to try the recaro seats. My R has the recaro seats standard and they are good. even being a big guy I fit in them just fine. I need to find one one in the DFW area I can try on. I have to admit I do like the idea of having power seats, heat and cooled. Do they have an exit mode like GM has where upon turning the car off and opening the door it will back the seat up?

Reality is I can probably live with any GT500 depending upon color.

After seeing the GT500 vinyl stripes they look better done than my R. Painted stripes aren’t a must have now.

if I don’t have to have the CFTP or painted stripes, the number of cars available to me just got a lot larger.

So those are my morning thoughts on the GT500.

D.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,388 ·
Goose,
Slept on your question And here are some thoughts.

I actually tried to buy a HEP GT350 and the ADM was just crazy. i have to admit I did not even think about a new Mustang. I get them as rentals here and there, I never figured I would own one. Last one I owned was a 88 5.0 trunk. Well, the Shelby is a different animal. I didn’t go looking for a GT350. I actuary stopped in at a local dealership because i needed to get the Jeep I leave at the airport inspected and the Ford place is the nearest place. They had a 2020 GT350 HEP. I asked to sit in it and I was sold. I called them the next day and they wanted $100,000 for it, I did some looking around and 2020 production had ended so cars were drying up. i bought my R that night for a little over sticker. Would I be just as happy with a non-R. If it was a HEP - probably. I used to track my cars some. I honestly don’t have the time. Maybe when I retire - who knows. The rear visibility in R kinda kinda stinks, but it looks cool. The base GT500 rear wing is shorter. The exhaust is better on the R I am told. It is pretty awesome.

Honestly, I was not 100% sure I would like the Shelby as much as I do. I figured if I bought the R I could resale it without taking much if a hit.

i have a 2019 ZR1 Track pack M7 that is a real riot to drive. The rear wing does not impact visibility. It does make it harder to get cargo (and the top) in and out of the back. The wing is gigantic. Have to try a car on to see how it fits.

Given that the drivetrain is the identical (as far as I know - tell me if I am mistaken) between the GT500 models. Any GT500 seems to be one heck of a car.

I would for sure get the handling package.

The things I would miss out on with a base are the cool exposed carbon fiber wheels and the cool wing and the fact the CFTP sits 1/4“ lower. Also, mandatory recaro seats. Which for tracking the car are a plus.

I need to try the recaro seats. My R has the recaro seats standard and they are good. even being a big guy I fit in them just fine. I need to find one one in the DFW area I can try on. I have to admit I do like the idea of having power seats, heat and cooled. Do they have an exit mode like GM has where upon turning the car off and opening the door it will back the seat up?

Reality is I can probably live with any GT500 depending upon color.

After seeing the GT500 vinyl stripes they look better done than my R. Painted stripes aren’t a must have now.

if I don’t have to have the CFTP or painted stripes, the number of cars available to me just got a lot larger.

So those are my morning thoughts on the GT500.

D.
Didn’t know you are in the DFW area as well. You are welcomed to come over and check out my CFTP. Send me a pm if interested.

The 350R and the CFTP have a firmer ride, but feel more agile than their base counterparts. The CFTP sits about a 1/2” lower. The Recaro seats don’t have any electric power, so they don’t slide back automatically for exit. The base and the CFTP have the same drivetrain and brakes.

Reactions: Ddivinia

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have turned into a GT500 video junkie. Everyone that tests a new 500 comes away with a big smile. Just about all of the test vehicles I've watched are base models. The one guy I thought was going to pee himself with giggles while driving. Also I'm the guy that parks out in the north 40 of a parking lot and takes two parking spaces. And I still get the stupid notes on the window. So my comment is base model to fully loaded these cars are fantastic. Get what works for you and you won't regret it.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,390 ·
I have turned into a GT500 video junkie. Everyone that tests a new 500 comes away with a big smile. Just about all of the test vehicles I've watched are base models. The one guy I thought was going to pee himself with giggles while driving. Also I'm the guy that parks out in the north 40 of a parking lot and takes two parking spaces. And I still get the stupid notes on the window. So my comment is base model to fully loaded these cars are fantastic. Get what works for you and you won't regret it.
I always say there is nothing “base” about the base model. Both versions are nuts! 🤟

If you like 2020+ GT500 videos, check out my channel:

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's where I started. I wasn't sure if I should say Shelby Flyer looked a lot like Goose 17. Because of your detailing video I'm thinking about going from the dealership to a paint correction shop. Have many owners felt the need to do the paint correction?

·
Registered
9 Posts

D.
What would constitute good evidence a dealer has an allocation? Given the average Ford salesperson seems to be totally ignorant about how to sell a GT500, getting evidence prior to paying a deposit seems to be very prudent. Thanks!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,393 ·
That's where I started. I wasn't sure if I should say Shelby Flyer looked a lot like Goose 17. Because of your detailing video I'm thinking about going from the dealership to a paint correction shop. Have many owners felt the need to do the paint correction?
Thanks! 🍻

Both of my 2020 GT500s arrived needing extensive paint correction. I chat with a lot of owners and anyone that looks closely at their paint under bright lights sees the same thing. The finish takes a lot of abuse on the assembly line. Darker colors are more revealing than lighter colors, but all of the cars will arrive with scratches/marring.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,396 ·
Thank you very much for that information. I am also in DFW and would like to order a 2022 base model with the handling package. Good hunting!
Good luck in your hunt!

We have quite a few DFW Shelby owners… always good to have more!

·
Registered
2020 Ford Edge St ,1991 Mustang LX , ordered 2021 Gt500 Antimatter blue
10 Posts
Just got an update from Ford performance on my car that was suppose to have the Build date of Sept 20th. (Not complaining) . This is what I received. Your GT500 is in production at the Body Shop (first stage of production). Just curious on timing after this, I would love to get before the snow falls. I think I live close enough that rail may not be an option. So hopefully that would speed up the transportation a little.

·
Registered
2021 GT500
45 Posts

D.
Many people are paying the markup. I was lucky enough to get a 2021 base at MSRP.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,399 ·
Just got an update from Ford performance on my car that was suppose to have the Build date of Sept 20th. (Not complaining) . This is what I received. Your GT500 is in production at the Body Shop (first stage of production). Just curious on timing after this, I would love to get before the snow falls. I think I live close enough that rail may not be an option. So hopefully that would speed up the transportation a little.
That’s awesome news! Congrats!

The whole process from order to build to delivery with dates can be seen here:

Reactions: Mats91
1381 - 1399 of 1399 Posts