Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it’s finally done!! It started out as a Maisto 1:18 from Sam’s club white with blue stripes.

Disassembly was straight forward with 8 rivets needing to be drilled out. (At reassembly use super glue it dries faster than the model glue I used)

I stripped It with aircraft paint stripper. Then steel wool to smooth out the rough steel. I began several weeks of primer coating waiting 5 or so days between more steel wool and another coat. Once the primer was perfect I moved onto body paint. I bought a can of exact match from Automotive Touch up. I also purchased their clear coat. After many coats of body paint and wet sanding between the first couple coats. I did 2 coats of gloss black stripes. The taping off the stripes took several hours after I finally found the tape I needed to get them as close to original as possible. A final 3 layer clear coat shined up the paint real nice.

Here are some photos of the process and the finished product.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design

Blue Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Car

Hood Motor vehicle Watercraft Automotive design Vehicle

Grille Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Wood Shade Asphalt Road surface Black-and-white

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Tire Wheel

Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Asphalt Automotive design

Automotive parking light Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Car

Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Grille Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Car

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
1,861 Posts
We are still in the disassmbily and stripping stage, here are some pictures,

Will put CF dash and CF wing, This becoming a wild adventure :ROFLMAO:
Green Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Tire Automotive tire
Plant Car Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Car
Musical instrument Wood Motor vehicle Flooring Electric blue
Automotive design Sleeve Grey Red Vehicle
Hood Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive design Plant Motor vehicle Camera accessory Auto part

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
1,861 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:love:Looks great Chris, Love the plaque Idea, 2021 Shelby GT500, with Chassis number. Did you make it? Cool idea:cool:
Yes I used their base plate and a label maker. It happened to be exactly the length I needed 😂

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
52,809 Posts
SomBICH that turned out nice! :eek:

Awesome work Mr Chris!

·
Premium Member
2014 GT500 Ruby Red
844 Posts
Yes I used their base plate and a label maker. It happened to be exactly the length I needed 😂
Looks great, with all your hard work stripping, painting, and such, may I suggest you go down to "Things Remembered" or a trophy shop and have them make up an engraved plate for the display. I have done this for a few things, they have different sizes and gold, silver colors etc, costs are very reasonable. Plus you can pick the font and such. I think you would be very happy doing so. JM2cents

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Well it’s finally done!! It started out as a Maisto 1:18 from Sam’s club white with blue stripes.

Disassembly was straight forward with 8 rivets needing to be drilled out. (At reassembly use super glue it dries faster than the model glue I used)

I stripped It with aircraft paint stripper. Then steel wool to smooth out the rough steel. I began several weeks of primer coating waiting 5 or so days between more steel wool and another coat. Once the primer was perfect I moved onto body paint. I bought a can of exact match from Automotive Touch up. I also purchased their clear coat. After many coats of body paint and wet sanding between the first couple coats. I did 2 coats of gloss black stripes. The taping off the stripes took several hours after I finally found the tape I needed to get them as close to original as possible. A final 3 layer clear coat shined up the paint real nice.

Here are some photos of the process and the finished product.
View attachment 248792
View attachment 248794
View attachment 248793
View attachment 248795
View attachment 248798
View attachment 248796
View attachment 248797
View attachment 248799
View attachment 248801
View attachment 248800
Well done Chris , came out awesome !

·
Super Moderator
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks great, with all your hard work stripping, painting, and such, may I suggest you go down to "Things Remembered" or a trophy shop and have them make up an engraved plate for the display. I have done this for a few things, they have different sizes and gold, silver colors etc, costs are very reasonable. Plus you can pick the font and such. I think you would be very happy doing so. JM2cents
Yep I’ve already reached out to them. It’s the busy season for the one little shop they have in town so I’m holding off. @TedShred has an engraving business. He is doing a owner’s kit plate for me. Since the size is standard on these displays I might ask him for a quote as well.

·
Super Moderator
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
1,861 Posts
I’ll probably do another one and have one for car shows. I ordered a nice case for the best one 😂. If we ever get 21’s build numbers by color I’ll get my show board done as well.
Chris, If you get those Build numbers can you please send me a copy, Deeply appreciated.

I am doing TWO cars now I got my box from USA, It has 10 Diecasts in it 2 Base Maisto GT500's for repaint and parts, Need two sets of base wheels, we're building one as the Car came from factory, and one as it looks today.

I am going crazy I guess, to abuse myself with extra B.S and Toture. But hell its Cool as Sht, Yours turn out Great Love it, I may do a Carbonize Grey for my Collection as I can't find that color. I am trying to get every Color they made these Great GT500's in.

Thank you in advance (y) 🍻

·
Super Moderator
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chris, If you get those Build numbers can you please send me a copy, Deeply appreciated.

I am doing TWO cars now I got my box from USA, It has 10 Diecasts in it 2 Base Maisto GT500's for repaint and parts, Need two sets of base wheels, we're building one as the Car came from factory, and one as it looks today.

I am going crazy I guess, to abuse myself with extra B.S and Toture. But hell its Cool as Sht, Yours turn out Great Love it, I may do a Carbonize Grey for my Collection as I can't find that color. I am trying to get every Color they made these Great GT500's in.

Thank you in advance (y) 🍻
I’m going to ask Ted if he can do a couple for me. I’d rather give him the business. I just need to measure the area and send him the details. Once he has it dialed in should be easier to order.

• Helpful
Reactions: GT500 The Mistress

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
1,861 Posts
I’m going to ask Ted if he can do a couple for me. I’d rather give him the business. I just need to measure the area and send him the details. Once he has it dialed in should be easier to order.
Oh those plaques you put on your diecast? Yeah I would get from him too, He PM about the owners plaque I will get two, I also asking about doing a plaque 12x6 or 12x8 for my tribute to my car which would be frame with my certs and photos, had a engraver here doing it, but he bailed on the project, long story. Thank you Chris

1 - 20 of 47 Posts