Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
31,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 Performance Blue
249 Posts
I still have an order for a Mach-E GT, but more and more I’m thinking I’m going to pass. Ignoring the fact that the version I spec’d runs just under $70k, I’m not sure I’m ready to go full electric for a number of reasons. I may keep my current daily a little longer (2017 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400) while I way my options.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I still have an order for a Mach-E GT, but more and more I’m thinking I’m going to pass. Ignoring the fact that the version I spec’d runs just under $70k, I’m not sure I’m ready to go full electric for a number of reasons. I may keep my current daily a little longer (2017 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400) while I way my options.
We are looking at a 2022 for the wife to be-bop around town and to/from work. We will still have my truck for longer treks. Not sure if we will opt for an upgraded one or not. The one we tested had some fugly wheels.

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
I saw my first Mach-E in the wild this morning, dropping a student off at my daughter's high school..

Reactions: DKnight and Goose17

·
Registered
506 Posts
Whats a Mach E worth in 8-10 years? Is this something I can pass down to my kids? Whats a 1969 Mach 1 worth? A 2003 Mach 1? If I don't drive the Mach E and keep it mint in my garage what is the value in 10-20 years?

·
Registered
2019 GT350
610 Posts
I saw my first Mach-E in the wild this morning, dropping a student off at my daughter's high school..
I saw one in the wild just the other day as well. I was surprised / disappointed how much it blended into the overall crowd on the road (it was a white one).

We are looking at a 2022 for the wife to be-bop around town and to/from work. We will still have my truck for longer treks. Not sure if we will opt for an upgraded one or not. The one we tested had some fugly wheels.
It is on my wife's short list for her next car as well, though she is still in love with her 2019 Mini Countryman. Right now it is between the Mach-e and the Mini Electric. The Mach-e is the better machine in every way, but the Mini is much more unique (Mini just being mini) and much cheaper. Really waiting to see what the next gen Mini electric is like (due model year 2023). Also just a commuter vehicle with my truck for family vacations.

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I hope you're feeling better. :(
I do not suffer from Ford Mustang Mach E Derangement Syndrome.. I'm not a cross-over or electric car kind of guy, but I don't give a rat's patoot that Ford decided to utilize the name to their best interests. I hope Ford prospers, and I hope to see every soccer mom in my central-FL area silently whizzing around in one. :)

·
Registered
2019 GT350
610 Posts
I do not suffer from Ford Mustang Mach E Derangement Syndrome.. I'm not a cross-over or electric car kind of guy, but I don't give a rat's patoot that Ford decided to utilize the name to their best interests. I hope Ford prospers, and I hope to see every soccer mom in my central-FL area silently whizzing around in one. :)
Wizzing around and passing all of the GT500 folks (Mach-e GT is faster 0-60 than the new GT500!)

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
0-160 is a completely different deal.... ;)

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Absolutely - all depends on how fast you want to go go Jail!:eek: (not applicable to on track use - or "Mexico")
LOL... I am on clear record that I consider 0-60 a rather laughable measure. Used to be "the thing" back when I was a teenager reading Road & Track, and cars had become so slow that 0-60 actually seemed like somethin'....

But today it's just a matter of whether you've got AWD, whether you've got traction. It's like using a micrometer to measure your johnston.. ;)

And anyone using 0-60 in real life contests, is obviously doing a bit of street light racing, which lands you in jail just as quickly.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Whats a Mach E worth in 8-10 years? Is this something I can pass down to my kids? Whats a 1969 Mach 1 worth? A 2003 Mach 1? If I don't drive the Mach E and keep it mint in my garage what is the value in 10-20 years?
Useful contribution as always. So you are saying the new Mach E isn’t a collector car... good to know... helpful.
LOL... I am on clear record that I consider 0-60 a rather laughable measure. Used to be "the thing" back when I was a teenager reading Road & Track, and cars had become so slow that 0-60 actually seemed like somethin'....

But today it's just a matter of whether you've got AWD, whether you've got traction. It's like using a micrometer to measure your johnston.. ;)

And anyone using 0-60 in real life contests, is obviously doing a bit of street light racing, which lands you in jail just as quickly.
Exactly! I brought this point up not too long ago and there were a few none too happy to hear this.

·
Registered
506 Posts
So you are saying the new Mach E isn’t a collector car.
I didn't say that. Are you saying that? Im trying to think of a car that you keep in great condition for over 10 years and when you go to sell it, the value is worth zero, or in my prediction less than zero (due to battery disposal costs in the future). Even a Pinto, if in great condition could fetch a decent amount in todays market. In the future a car with a dead battery is essentially a write off. Terrible for the environment and the consumer. China however big winner.

·
Registered
2019 GT350
610 Posts
I didn't say that. Are you saying that? Im trying to think of a car that you keep in great condition for over 10 years and when you go to sell it, the value is worth zero, or in my prediction less than zero (due to battery disposal costs in the future). Even a Pinto, if in great condition could fetch a decent amount in todays market. In the future a car with a dead battery is essentially a write off. Terrible for the environment and the consumer. China however big winner.
10(ish) year old Teslas still have residual value, though they do depreciate like any car.

Cargurus link

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
517 Posts
10(ish) year old Teslas still have residual value, though they do depreciate like any car.

Cargurus link
I would expect these to depreciate similarly -- although the name may hold some premium.

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
I'm puzzled where you come up with these notions of yours. As others pointed out, just check the market on 10-year-old 100K-mile Teslas, and you'll discover that the first portion of your post just isn't true.

I see "great condition" Pinto's showing up at the collector car auctions here and there over the past few years, nice survivors, and they tend to bring $10K - $14K, at the absolute most. But it's a flawed analogy here, because Pinto's today are enjoying the fact that they're now 40-50 year old "classic" cars, and relatively few of them remain in existence anymore. The scarcity plus the kitsch/collectible factor is what bumps the values to where they are. Supply and demand.

When a Pinto was 10 years old, with 80K-100K on the ticker, in the 1980's, there were still tons of them around, and they weren't worth diddly-squat. A high school kid wrapping burrito's at Taco Bell part-time could afford to pay cash for a used 10-year-old Pinto.

Again and again, you toss out totally irrelevant analogies, and false/off statements, and I wonder where you come up with this stuff.

I will agree that, to this point, I don't know how we long-term keep mining and recycling lithium. But that's not a problem for the Mach E in the next 10 years. Plus, that Elon Musk dude seems to have a knack for figuring such things out. ;)

Reactions: Goose17
1 - 20 of 30 Posts