Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 125 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012/2013 Hybrid
7,351 Posts
Thats why I’m asking if they’re plastic because he’s installing an upgraded chain guide made of aluminum. Why not use the the factory guides? How have they been upgraded?
The aftermarket arms are made of billet aluminum. These are milled out of a solid piece of aluminum. Having never seen the factory pieces they are usually cast pieces and not nearly as hearty. But they may be made of some sort of plastic for all I know. The guide strips are made of a fairly tough plastic to fight wear. Seeing these strips on the billet pieces lead me to believe the OEM piece is constructed as separate pieces. I've done this upgrade in my 5.8. If you look close enough, you can see the plastic strips installed on the billet pieces. Here's a shot of some similar components for a 2018+ coyote. You can see the plastic strips installed on these.

·
Registered
2020 GT500
297 Posts
The aftermarket arms are made of billet aluminum. These are milled out of a solid piece of aluminum. Having never seen the factory pieces they are usually cast pieces and not nearly as hearty. But they may be made of some sort of plastic for all I know. The guide strips are made of a fairly tough plastic to fight wear. Seeing these strips on the billet pieces lead me to believe the OEM piece is constructed as separate pieces. I've done this upgrade in my 5.8. If you look close enough, you can see the plastic strips installed on the billet pieces. Here's a shot of some similar components for a 2018+ coyote. You can see the plastic strips installed on these.

View attachment 214966
Cool, thanks for the info! I figured Ford probably went with a cast guide. No way they’d make that mistake and go plastic on such a high HP engine.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
31,646 Posts
Reactions: Chris-20-GT500

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just checked mine and made this video to help:

Ford released a tech service bulletin on some 2020 Shelby GT500s & GT350s that potentially didn't get the secondary timing chain tensioner properly installed. We have seen some engine failures... check yours to prevent damage! I show the TSB, the inspection process and how I went about verifying mine.Just received and installed carbon fibre licenseplate frame from CJ Pony parts.Looks awesome.The carbon mirror covers with turn signal are on a 10 day backorder.I went to dealer on my 2021 CFTP in regards to any recall for timing chain tensioner issue.They showed nothing in the system.Finally received my owners kit as well.Still thinking on the 5 Spurs shifter crown and start button.The problem is your current shifter crown bezel matches other knobs.

Thanks Goose for video.

Track Pack11
Hey Goose.I like your carbon fibre valve covers.
Who makes them?.
Probably a lot of work to have those installed with oil separator already dealer installed when I purchased the CFTP.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,646 Posts
Track Pack11
Hey Goose.I like your carbon fibre valve covers.
Who makes them?.
Probably a lot of work to have those installed with oil separator already dealer installed when I purchased the CFTP.
Thanks! I got them from CJ Pony Parts. The oil separator and mount can be easily removed. The passenger side is easy to get on. The driver’s side is a bit tighter but doable. I put painter’s tape all over the face of the driver’s side to keep it from getting scratched during install.

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Twister Orange
42 Posts
For those looking for the right size mirror I got this on Amazon and checked mine today.
Dental Kit

And I used extra tools to brighten my smile when it looks like mine is ok!

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Base, tech, recaros, handling
16 Posts
I used a scope I bought from Harbor Freight a while back. It came with a small clip on mirror that worked like a charm. My car checked out OK. I will eventually take it in to have to documented in their system.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks! I got them from CJ Pony Parts. The oil separator and mount can be easily removed. The passenger side is easy to get on. The driver’s side is a bit tighter but doable. I put painter’s tape all over the face of the driver’s side to keep it from getting scratched during install.

Track Pack11
Thanks Goose.
In Detroit we have a great Mustang tuner and accessories installer ar Alternative Performance.His name is Lidio.I don't think you will find more knowledge other than yourself.:)

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,557 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for bringing this to our attention! 🍻
Having read the attachments, it looks like the possibility exists for the cam to jump a secondary sprocket tooth or two if the tensioner is not providing tension. It's got to run like crap and the potential exists for a valve smacking the piston.
John: So these engines in the GT500 and 350 are interference engines?

·
Premium Member
2012/2013 Hybrid
7,351 Posts
I'm not sure there are any modern high performance four cycle engines that aren't interference engines nowadays. These definitely are and much of the diagnostics have to do with a leak down test if a non-activated tensioner is detected and the timing marks are no longer in alignment.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,646 Posts
Interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In an effort to combat spammers here, please post a picture with your car and screen name visible in the shot. I’ll give you a day to make it happen. Thanks

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Oxford White / Fully Loaded
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
FYI - your build date is on your driver’s side door, there is a sticker that has the build date. Mine is 12/20/20 which is outside of the date, and my car is fine however, I wanted to share as I was not aware that the build date could be located on the door sticker.

Although mine is outside of the affected range, it is still a good idea for everyone to check.

·
Registered
2020 Base GT500 Rapid Red
6 Posts
I've been following the forum for a while and this spurred me to register. I wanted to say thanks for the information and I wanted to share what I used to check mine:

From Amazon:

Here was what I found - so it looks like my build is good as well:

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,646 Posts
I've been following the forum for a while and this spurred me to register. I wanted to say thanks for the information and I wanted to share what I used to check mine:

From Amazon:

View attachment 215027
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for piping-in and joining the conversation. Nice to see yours is good as well!

If you are up for introducing yourself and showing us your ride, you’ll find our new member area here:

·
Super Moderator
5,113 Posts

From Amazon:

View attachment 215027
(y)

Welcome aboard! And thanks for sharing your pic. (y)

61 - 80 of 125 Posts