Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Oxford White / Fully Loaded
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ford released a TSB for the timing chain guide. Please see the attachment for more details.
Credit: "The Chairman" from mustang6g.org

UPDATED: If you want to check this yourself, the procedure is attached.

Attachments

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
33,778 Posts
Ford released a TSB for the timing chain guide. Please see the attachment for more details.
Credit: "The Chairman" from mustang6g.org

I wonder if this was the cause of some of the failures I have read about.
Thanks for the info!

Edit: video added.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info!
Welcome, I figured I would share this here as well. Hopefully, everyone's inspection goes well. When I read over the bulletin, if it does need service, it appears that it will be quite involved.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,778 Posts
Welcome, I figured I would share this here as well. Hopefully, everyone's inspection goes well. When I read over the bulletin, if it does need service, it appears that it will be quite involved.
Taking the car in to the dealer is always a risk that it will come out with issues it didn’t have when it went in.

Reactions: Toothless

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Taking the car in to the dealer is always a risk that it will come out with issues it didn’t have when it went in.
I am not "thrilled" about this however, it makes sense that if the timing is off, the motor could easily have a major issue. The good news is that it appears that the inspection is performed through the oil fill hole, so at least it appears to not be invasive. However, if the inspection fails, it looks like up to 20 hours of labor which, at any dealer tells me possible weeks until completion.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Updated with the check for those who want to check themselves!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just checked mine and it's ok however, I will still take it to let Ford check just for that extra checkbox should anything happen. If you are checking yourself, you will need a mirror around 1/2 in diameter to fit inside. A dentist mirror will work, the standard "car" mirrors will not fit.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,778 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome! Thanks once again for sharing this... I will check mine myself.
Very easy with a small mirror and peace of mind, I double checked the TDB and mine is not in the date range. Even so, good thing for everyone to check to be in the safe side.

·
Registered
2020 gt500 shadow black
19 Posts
Wouldn’t the engine make noises where the chain is flapping around if the tensioners are not activated? Or it should grenade itself if the chain tensioner is not activated within a couple hundred miles or going wot then off throttle?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Wouldn’t the engine make noises where the chain is flapping around if the tensioners are not activated? Or it should grenade itself if the chain tensioner is not activated within a couple hundred miles or going wot then off throttle?
With all the noises, I think it would be very difficult to hear. I do not know enough about the secondary tensioner and how it affects timing however, I do know if your timing is off, it could potentially lead to a lean condition and grenade an engine.

It's an easy check and while mine is not in the date range, I still checked just to make sure since I was close to the date range specified in the TSB which is: Dec 2nd 2019 through Dec 16, 2020. (Please see the Ford notice for details) Everyone with a 2020 GT500 or 350 should check theirs.

If you do perform the check, your phone's flashlight helps and the tensioner should look exactly like what they put in the TSB. If you are not sure, I would recommend having someone who can help verify as this could be very bad if that second tensioner is not activated.

·
Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
7,613 Posts
Having read the attachments, it looks like the possibility exists for the cam to jump a secondary sprocket tooth or two if the tensioner is not providing tension. It's got to run like crap and the potential exists for a valve smacking the piston.

·
Registered
84 Posts
With all the noises, I think it would be very difficult to hear. I do not know enough about the secondary tensioner and how it affects timing however, I do know if your timing is off, it could potentially lead to a lean condition and grenade an engine.
It's an easy check and while mine is not in the date range, I still checked just to make sure since I was close to the date range specified in the TSB which is: Dec 2nd through Dec 16, 2020. (Please see the Ford notice for details) Mine was built on 11/30/2020 so it's a little too close for me not to check.

If you do perform the check, your phone's flashlight helps and the tensioner should look exactly like what they put in the TSB. If you are not sure, I would recommend having someone who can help verify as this could be very bad if that second tensioner is not activated.
I believe it said from Dec. 2nd 2019 through Dec. 16th 2020. So pretty much the whole year of 2020 ☹

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I believe it said from Dec. 2nd 2019 through Dec. 16th 2020. So pretty much the whole year of 2020 ☹
When it first came out, that is what I thought and I looked (quickly) and focused on the Dec 2nd - 16th. I agree, looking at it again, covers everyone who has a 2020 GT500/GT350.

While I was off on the date (which I will correct) I still stand by my comment of everyone checking theirs, it's very easy and could save a motor if the second tensioner is NOT activated.

Reactions: Chach805

·
Premium Member
2013 GT500 and 2020 GT500
3,876 Posts
Well I finally decided to call my dentist and see what size mirrors he used and he uses a #4 dental mirror which works like a charm. His assistant looked in their dental graveyard and found a used one and gave it to me. You can't beat that with a big stick. The O.D. is 7/8" and it works without having to remove the filler extension. A 1" dental mirror will not get past the bottom of the filler extension.
My car is good to go.

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
940 Posts
Well I finally decided to call my dentist and see what size mirrors he used and he uses a #4 dental mirror which works like a charm. His assistant looked in their dental graveyard and found a used one and gave it to me. You can't beat that with a big stick. The O.D. is 7/8" and it works without having to remove the filler extension. A 1" dental mirror will not get past the bottom of the filler extension.
My car is good to go.
Thanks! --- that gives me a size to hunt down :)

·
Registered
2020 GT500 and 2008 GT500
323 Posts
I checked mine. Didn't have a dental mirror so I used a scope. I'm good to go, activated.

·
Registered
2020 gt500 shadow black
19 Posts
I checked mine also using the dental mirror that I had to trim down to fit the oil openings hole.
Mine checked out fine and I saw at least 3 grooves on the base of the shaft.
I think if it's not activated, you'd know it by the extra sound and running very poorly if it did skip a tooth in the sprocket.

1 - 20 of 179 Posts