Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m down to 3/64ths and it’s decision time before sacrificing my current set of OE PS4Ss at the altar of Line Lock.

As superb a tire as the OE Michelins are, the lack of choices in OE fitment has frustrated me from Day One, not to mention the special Ford Performance derivative that’s not always available but is invariably expensive when they are.

Being without a spare and having only a can of Fix-A-Flat to rely on only begs fate to be left stranded three hours from roadside assistance and the distinct possibility of an immediate replacement not being available. This is one area in particular I think GM did the C8 properly, by offering a true high-performance all/no-season OE tire that’s better-suited to far more people much more of the time and especially by choosing Run Flats which virtually eliminate any chance of being stranded.

Michelin luckily offers two superb ZP/Run Flat 305/30-20 tires which would require adopting a square stance on the OE wheels. Even better, the All-Seasons are almost $800 cheaper. My only concern is any negative effect of reducing the rear tires’ contact patch for both acceleration and steering balance. I normally would default to a wider width but the options are only minimally better than the OE 315s without coming anywhere near the OE rear diameter as 305s.

Has anyone adopted a square 305 setup who’s able to share their experience? I’m fortunate to have sourced a complete set of OE tires before the rears in particular became so scarce but I’m really having second thoughts now that the time has come to mount them.

Thanks in advance for any helpful insight.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Simply: if you are serious about your performance and handling you will not like run flats. They are probably a reasonable alternative for the guy who likes to play around on the street but not going to the track. The solution that many of us have adopted:

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
“Serious about performance” to what extent? Today’s performance run flats are outstanding. The strongest biases against them mostly is from those who’ve never actually used them. Those who predominately track their cars and whose abilities are developed enough to make the difference relevant would be on SC2s or R compounds anyway.

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 performance white
1,659 Posts
I’m down to 3/64ths and it’s decision time before sacrificing my current set of OE PS4Ss at the altar of Line Lock.

As superb a tire as the OE Michelins are, the lack of choices in OE fitment has frustrated me from Day One, not to mention the special Ford Performance derivative that’s not always available but is invariably expensive when they are.

Being without a spare and having only a can of Fix-A-Flat to rely on only begs fate to be left stranded three hours from roadside assistance and the distinct possibility of an immediate replacement not being available. This is one area in particular I think GM did the C8 properly, by offering a true high-performance all/no-season OE tire that’s better-suited to far more people much more of the time and especially by choosing Run Flats which virtually eliminate any chance of being stranded.

Michelin luckily offers two superb ZP/Run Flat 305/30-20 tires which would require adopting a square stance on the OE wheels. Even better, the All-Seasons are almost $800 cheaper. My only concern is any negative effect of reducing the rear tires’ contact patch for both acceleration and steering balance. I normally would default to a wider width but the options are only minimally better than the OE 315s without coming anywhere near the OE rear diameter as 305s.

Has anyone adopted a square 305 setup who’s able to share their experience? I’m fortunate to have sourced a complete set of OE tires before the rears in particular became so scarce but I’m really having second thoughts now that the time has come to mount them.

Thanks in advance for any helpful insight.
Run flats, not a fan, wife’s Mercedes had them, did absolutely no good at all, couldn’t move the car 10 feet, had to call a wrecker. As far as performance tires for your year, I can’t make a personal recommendation.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
“Serious about performance” to what extent? Today’s performance run flats are outstanding. The strongest biases against them mostly is from those who’ve never actually used them. Those who predominately track their cars and whose abilities are developed enough to make the difference relevant would be on SC2s or R compounds anyway.
My GTR came with run flats. Performance was outstanding. Much Better than Michelin.

Harsh ride was the downside. You could feel every imperfection in the road and they trammeled. You drove with both hands on the wheel.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
1,611 Posts
I have Pilot Sport 4AS on my stock wheels, 305/30/20 all around as my winter setup. It gets just cold enough in NW Florida that the PS4s get really squirrely from December to February.
As for my summer setup, I’m planning to go with Nitto NT555RII in 315/35 rear and 305/30 G2 in the fronts when my PS4s wear out. I’ve only 8000’ish miles on them so I won’t need new summer tires till next spring. I’ve heard rumor Nitto might offer more UHP tires in 315/30 come next season.

·
Registered
2021 GT500
159 Posts
I had Nitto 555's installed recently, how ever since I got the car used I cannot fairly compare the factory Michelins to them in anyway other then price (cheaper). I do like the fact that I can flip the tire on the wheel to help with the wear pattern. While they are directional and it is more expensive to remount/balance them onto another wheel vs' just a regular tire rotation it may help get a few more miles out of them.

·
Registered
2021 gt500 base with tech and handling pack
14 Posts
I have Pilot Sport 4AS on my stock wheels, 305/30/20 all around as my winter setup. It gets just cold enough in NW Florida that the PS4s get really squirrely from December to February.
As for my summer setup, I’m planning to go with Nitto NT555RII in 315/35 rear and 305/30 G2 in the fronts when my PS4s wear out. I’ve only 8000’ish miles on them so I won’t need new summer tires till next spring. I’ve heard rumor Nitto might offer more UHP tires in 315/30 come next season.
How is the ride on the 4AS? Does it still look right? Any issues with any sensors.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
1,611 Posts
How is the ride on the 4AS? Does it still look right? Any issues with any sensors.
It’s fine. I didn’t try to do any high speed pulls or launches on them. No issues at all with the sensors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts