Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
33,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a set of the elusive carbon fiber track pack wheels and tires! In this video, we get a close look at the CFTP wheels. I also get measurements and weights as well as show part numbers for base owners who wish to add these to their car.

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,681 Posts
Those wheels are gorgeous. Works of art. We should test fit them on my R.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,681 Posts
Not 18k gorgeous however.
I disagree. Beyond the beauty of these wheels is the performance advantage they have. And that advantage is by a wide margin. I know for a fact that my R feels incredibly light on its feet and ultra responsive due to the wheels and the suspension being calibrated for the lighter corner weights.

Sure, they are expensive on their own. Even my R wheels retail for almost 15k a set. But, when you buy the car with them, you're getting a hell of deal on them from Ford. Think about this for second. The R package for my 19 was a $7,500 upgrade. For that 7500 bucks you get 15k worth of wheels and a 10k carbon wing plus a bunch of other goodies exclusive to the R. The CFTP GT500's are no different in bang for buck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Maybe so. But I suspect the non track pack car will have potential that I will never appreciate nor use. Like everything else in life, its your money spend it in anyway that makes you happy!

·
Registered
2013 Black/Black SVTPP
336 Posts
Gorgeous wheels, how'd you like to curb check one of those, I think these feelers are a definite must have...ha!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys.

Another big advantage with the CF wheels is they don’t flex/bend under side loads like other wheels. This allows a more aggressive track alignment that you can’t do with regular wheels since the CF wheels will essentially remain constant. Regular wheels will bend enough to go into undesired positions and could even contact the body.

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,681 Posts
Thanks guys.

Another big advantage with the CF wheels is they don’t flex/bend under side loads like other wheels. This allows a more aggressive track alignment that you can’t do with regular wheels since the CF wheels will essentially remain constant. Regular wheels will bend enough to go into undesired positions and could even contact the body.
Actually since the CF wheels are so stiff you don't need to run as aggressive camber or alignments to keep the contact patch at its max during hard corning loads. It's because of the flex of an alloy rim that necessitates the need for aggressive camber settings to get that max contact patch. I think you just have it backwards. The carbon wheels allow you to run a less aggressive setup with same corner capabilities with a more even tire wear and tire longevity,

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I would like them a lot more if they were a 5-spoke or 5 into 10-spoke design.

For the cost, I would hope taking to the track is a regular occurrence.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I found a set of the elusive carbon fiber track pack wheels and tires! In this video, we get a close look at the CFTP wheels. I also get measurements and weights as well as show part numbers for base owners who wish to add these to their car.

Do the 350 CF wheels work for GT 500 and what options exist out there to buy a full set? I’d like to have both.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
As the performance becomes accepted as being that much better, I wonder if one of the high end wheel manufacturers will enter the market with their own designs?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do the 350 CF wheels work for GT 500 and what options exist out there to buy a full set? I’d like to have both.
The GT350R carbon fiber wheels will not work on the 2020 GT500. The 350 has 19” wheels that will not clear the massive Brembos on the 500. An interesting tidbit... the 350 and 500 CF wheels weigh the same 18 pounds despite the 500 wheels being quite larger. Carbon Revolution has refined their manufacturing process since designing the 350 wheels. 350R wheels pop up for sale periodically at much more reasonable prices than the 500 wheels.
As the performance becomes accepted as being that much better, I wonder if one of the high end wheel manufacturers will enter the market with their own designs?
Carbon Revolution makes aftermarket CF wheels. I am not aware of any that will fit the 2020 GT500 though. The new 500 has very specific tolerances to clear the big ass brakes.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,681 Posts
The biggest difference between the R CF wheels is the size. Both are the same width front and back but the R’s are 19” vs 20”. Definitely not a massive size difference, just 1” taller to clear the 1” larger brakes.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The biggest difference between the R CF wheels is the size. Both are the same width front and back but the R’s are 19” vs 20”. Definitely not a massive size difference, just 1” taller to clear the 1” larger brakes.
I would say the BIGGEST difference is the 350R wheels are painted whereas the 500 wheels have exposed carbon fiber... same with the wing.

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,681 Posts
I would say the BIGGEST difference is the 350R wheels are painted whereas the 500 wheels have exposed carbon fiber... same with the wing.
If we’re talking about finish and appearance, I can agree with that. But we’re talking about size and nothing about the 500 rims make them quite a bit larger than the R’s imo. Now if the 500 rims were an inch or more wider and one inch taller, yes, now we’re talking a more substantial size difference.
The only reason Ford went so large on the 500 was to provide similar stopping power as the mighty 350 brakes with all the extra weight of the 500. I bet money if the 500 came in at the same weight as the 350 Ford would’ve used the same brakes as the 350.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If we’re talking about finish and appearance, I can agree with that. But we’re talking about size and nothing about the 500 rims make them quite a bit larger than the R’s imo. Now if the 500 rims were an inch or more wider and one inch taller, yes, now we’re talking a more substantial size difference.
The only reason Ford went so large on the 500 was to provide similar stopping power as the mighty 350 brakes with all the extra weight of the 500. I bet money if the 500 came in at the same weight as the 350 Ford would’ve used the same brakes as the 350.
Here is an interesting review from a guy that owns and tracks both a GT350R and a 2020 CFTP. Start watching at 1:57. I have never driven a GT350, so I have no basis for comparison.

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,681 Posts
Here is an interesting review from a guy that owns and tracks both a GT350R and a 2020 CFTP. Start watching at 1:57. I have never driven a GT350, so I have no basis for comparison.

Oooookay. So I must be missing the point you’re trying to make with this video. From 60-0 the 500 on average stops only 2 feet shorter than the R, not a large delta difference.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oooookay. So I must be missing the point you’re trying to make with this video. From 60-0 the 500 on average stops only 2 feet shorter than the R, not a large delta difference.
The video was a reply to what you said above:

“The only reason Ford went so large on the 500 was to provide similar stopping power as the mighty 350 brakes with all the extra weight of the 500.”

I would be curious to what the delta would be running a test 150-0. It would be more telling to what the braking capability difference is. Similarly, if you ran the tests 30-0, the delta would probably be nothing.

Don’t get me wrong though Eric, the GT350 and GT350R are absolutely fantastic cars! I have never driven one, but those that have give it rave reviews. The 2020 GT500 and GT500 CFTP simply take it up a couple of notches. Kudos to Ford for providing us enthusiast such amazing frigg’n cars!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts