Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
34,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the 2020 owners, be aware of some automatic features associated with the DCT tranny. If you pop a door open while in gear, the tranny will shift into park automatically (with seatbelt unlatched). The electric parking brake CAN also automatically engage. You cannot put the car back into gear with the door open. I saw this first hand when backing my 2020 into my garage yesterday. I popped the driver’s side door open to check clearance and the tranny shifted into park. I wasn’t wearing my seatbelt since I was just jockeying cars. I tried shifting into reverse with the door open to back slowly while checking clearance and was unable. Once I closed the door, I could select R again.

Another HUGE gotcha was posted on FB by Ken of Palm Beach Dyno. He said he was at the drag strip and popped the door to see where he was in the burnout box. The car shifted into P AND set the electronic parking brake. He then closed the door, put it back into gear and attempted a line lock burnout with the electric parking brake still set! ?

Under normal conditions, the e-brake releases automatically when you put the tranny in gear and drive away (normally). Apparently this does not happen when in line lock burnout mode.

His post on FB:

1E4D0FA1-4377-470F-A971-2F9F38D66C91.jpeg

From the owner’s manual:

4EA7958A-EAA9-455E-AEDD-AFC577F01DB2.jpeg

E4F8C5FF-CDAD-4F39-99B1-AE72895036CF.jpeg

6F196D2F-A7C9-4BA4-8335-716829C57478.jpeg

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
34,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did confirm with Ken... he unbuckled his seatbelt to lean out to see the water box.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,766 Posts
For the 2020 owners, be aware of some automatic features associated with the DCT tranny. If you pop a door open while in gear, the tranny will shift into park automatically (with seatbelt unlatched). The electric parking brake CAN also automatically engage. You cannot put the car back into gear with the door open. I saw this first hand when backing my 2020 into my garage yesterday. I popped the driver’s side door open to check clearance and the tranny shifted into park. I wasn’t wearing my seatbelt since I was just jockeying cars. I tried shifting into reverse with the door open to back slowly while checking clearance and was unable. Once I closed the door, I could select R again.

Another HUGE gotcha was posted on FB by Ken of Palm Beach Dyno. He said he was at the drag strip and popped the door to see where he was in the burnout box. The car shifted into P AND set the electronic parking brake. He then closed the door, put it back into gear and attempted a line lock burnout with the electric parking brake still set! ?

Under normal conditions, the e-brake releases automatically when you put the tranny in gear and drive away (normally). Apparently this does not happen when in line lock burnout mode.

His post on FB:

View attachment 196583

From the owner’s manual:

View attachment 196580

View attachment 196581

View attachment 196582
Hmm. I've never experience that anomaly in my GT350! I can back up, open the door, lean out with no seatbelt and no problem! Just poking the bear a little bit! ?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
34,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm. I've never experience that anomaly in my GT350! I can back up, open the door, lean out with no seatbelt and no problem! Just poking the bear a little bit! ?
I can back in BOOST! ?

·
Premium Member
6,641 Posts
FWIW Tim, my S550 Mercedes does the same crap... Welcome to the modern world of automatics. I think it's a new modern-day "safety-nazi" algorithm that all of the manufacturers are programming into their automatic-shift cars (including auto-shifting manuals).

I've always been quite adept at grabbing my newspaper off the driveway "on-the-fly" from the driver's seat, never missing a beat.. You can imagine my surprise as I open the door at 5mph to lean out and grab my paper, and the car comes way-too-abruptly to a halt! And THEN, won't allow me to move an inch.

A few choice words towards inane "saving us from the idiots" technology (what, is there that much of a risk of drivers diving out of moving cars??) were shouted by me that day. And every time I have to come to a complete stop for the paper, I get annoyed.. LOL..

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,819 Posts
My Jeep does it too... I think Jeep started it when it killed that Star Trek dude getting his mail. High profile case and now everyone does it.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
34,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Jeep does it too... I think Jeep started it when it killed that Star Trek dude getting his mail. High profile case and now everyone does it.
Theses options are added so we can all live long and prosper. ?

·
Premium Member
8,179 Posts
Gawd I love my old fashioned vehicles even more now ....... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts