Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think there have been a number of links to this article but the hard copy of Motortrend came in the mail yesterday and I thought these “sidebars” were interesting. What a car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
30,533 Posts

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
What tires come on the Vette?
Michelin® Pilot® Sport 4S 245/35ZR19 front and 305/30ZR20 rear, high performance, run-flat, summer-only tires

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Yes tires are the "same" between the GT500 and the C8. The GT500 with CFTP gets a downforce and tire upgrade to the Cup 2 tires and that's where the extra speed comes from.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
30,533 Posts
Yes tires are the "same" between the GT500 and the C8. The GT500 with CFTP gets a downforce and tire upgrade to the Cup 2 tires and that's where the extra speed comes from.
Yes, that plus 265 more horses.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
More verification that the CFTP is the GT500 to get if you Track your STANG.
3 seconds is an eternity on the TRACK. 🏁

The Vett comparisons continue to be stupid though...the endless comparsions over the years of a GT Car to a Two Seat Plastic Sports Car are absurd, even more so now that the C8 is mid-engined.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts

The Vett comparisons continue to be stupid though...the endless comparsions over the years of a GT Car to a Two Seat Plastic Sports Car are absurd, even more so now that the C8 is mid-engined.
I used to think so, but with a GT500 that starts in the mid 70K range and can go up to the 100k range with the CFTP, people will be cross shopping these two cars. That being said the Z06 will put the hurting on the GT500 CFTP when it comes out, just curious what it will end up at price wise.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

LOL.
C8 is new, GT500 is new. You can see why they want to do it.
Better than Road & Track which compared the GT500 to a Subaru WRX STI. Bizarre.

I used to think so, but with a GT500 that starts in the mid 70K range and can go up to the 100k range with the CFTP, people will be cross shopping these two cars. That being said the Z06 will put the hurting on the GT500 CFTP when it comes out, just curious what it will end up at price wise.
The GT500 has brought the Mustang to lofty heights. Good for Ford.

Agree,GM seems to have their act together with the C8. The Z06 will be on an entirely different level.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
No doubt a lot of cross shopping as the Vette is incredible Value for a semi-exotic IMO, but the cars remain unrelated in terms of Class of Automobile.
I agree, the Z06 will turn the GT500 into a Pylon at the TRACK and then there's the ZR-1, that will be just plain stupid!
The C7 ZR-1 is already a Track Legend so CHEBBY will go for the moon shot with their Flagship C8 ZR-1, it will be a hypercar!

Fun Times for Factory Domestic Track Weapons. 🏁

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
CFTP vs C8 Z06 (or whatever they are going to call that version) is the matchup I’m waiting for. Can’t wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That will be a very brief shootout...maybe a one pager. 😀

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
LOL.
C8 is new, GT500 is new. You can see why they want to do it.
Better than Road & Track which compared the GT500 to a Subaru WRX STI. Bizarre.

The GT500 has brought the Mustang to lofty heights. Good for Ford.

Agree,GM seems to have their act together with the C8. The Z06 will be on an entirely different level.

Absurd comparison.

Another sign of the epic decline in automotive journalism the last decade. (n)

·
Super Moderator
5,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I'm thinking the C8 Z06 and the GT500 CFTP may be neck and neck. Ford seems to have dialed in getting horsepower to the ground, hp to weight ratio, etc, etc.. Will Chevy be able to do the same w/ the Z06? I don't know. But I know it's going to be fun to watch! (y)

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
As much as I respect the capabilities of the CFTP GT500, I don't see it standing a chance against the new mid-engine Z06. If I had to make a guess, Chevy is going to target the 488GTB for laptimes with the Z06 and the 488 Pista with the eventual ZR1. With significantly less weight, a better front to rear balance, and vastly superior traction (remember we still haven't seen a C8 on a tire as sticky as the Pilot Sport Cup 2 yet) it's going to be a supercar killer in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Mavisky, agree 100%. GM didn't upend 57 (?) years of design tradition to JUST match a Mustang, notwithstanding that it's a super-ultimate (does that make sense?) Mustang. They're going after the big Euro dogs.

That all being said....and it's been said before...what an awesome time in performance-automotive history we live in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts