@f2redpot sent me this link:

·
Premium Member
985 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankfully the 13 / 14 MY's were good for 200 mph without needing hood pins..
“Needing” is relative. I saw a video years back of a stock Mustang hood at speed. The video showed the corners “dancing.” I bet your 13/14 hood sees quite a bit of movement in the corners at speeds north of 150. Hood pins do a much better job securing the hood than the front/center latch alone. I’m sure Ford could have simply put a center latch by itself on the 2020 hood, but this is just another one of the many upgrades... they are functional and look good as well!

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I always looked @ hood pins as a cheap fix for a design flaw, some MY's needed them.
As for " look good ", the ones on the 2020 do look better than other offerings, no hood pins presents a cleaner less cluttered surface..

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thankfully the 13 / 14 MY's were good for 200 mph without needing hood pins..
I always looked @ hood pins as a cheap fix for a design flaw, some MY's needed them.
As for " look good ", the ones on the 2020 do look better than other offerings, no hood pins presents a cleaner less cluttered surface..
Something tells me you don’t like the 2020 Don. 😜

If you search the web, there are plenty of S197 Mustang owners complaining about hood lift/flutter/vibration at speed. Any hood with a center latch as the only way to secure the front will start dancing at high speed. Ford fixed this problem that plagued previous years by installing hood pins on the 2020.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I don't care for the body style it's based on, the DCT didn't make it any more appealing.
A car with a higher advertised top end MPH didn't need hood pins, a car with a lower advertised top end MPH has hood pins, you can conclude anything you want.
Whatever hood lift / flutter the S197 had or didn't have, Ford Engineering, & in the case of the GT500, SVT, didn't think the 2014 MY needed hood pins..

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't care for the body style it's based on, the DCT didn't make it any more appealing.
A car with a higher advertised top end MPH didn't need hood pins, a car with a lower advertised top end MPH has hood pins, you can conclude anything you want.
Whatever hood lift / flutter the S197 had or didn't have, Ford Engineering, & in the case of the GT500, SVT, didn't think the 2014 MY needed hood pins..
Well, you are not alone Don. There are other 13/14 owners that don’t like the 2020.

I hope you get to experience the 2020 in person. Ford Performance did some amazing things in the last 6 years.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I have always liked some sort of hood pin, twist locks or in the case of the 2020, the push pins. In the "old days" they were always on the upper end Mustangs like the Mach 1's (I believe 1971 BOSS 351 had them also) and they gave a touch that was above "plain". Are they a little bit more hassle to first get out and undo the pins before you pull the latch inside? Yes................. Do I like the twist locks and push pins better than the old style cables, pins, plates? Sure, but I have to live with the "old style" on my car because that is what Shelby installed and once I found those domes plates that were specific to my car, they gave an added unique touch and liked them even more.

All 3 of my 1971 429 Mach 1's were factory J-Code Ram Air and had the factory installed twist locks, back then, and now they look cool/unique to me.

Are they always needed for functionality? No not always........but they Always look cool/unique in comparison to plain.

R

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
The 13/14 hoods absolutely move at speed. Especially with the massive openings that ford put at the front of the car compared to the 10-12 cars without increasing the hood venting. With the rain guard in place on the 2020, they probably really need those pins, but with the rain tray removed and the vent running at full open, I'm sure it's much more stable. The hood pins are also a throwback design that's been modernized for 2020.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My '70 Mustang Mach 1 had the twist lock hood pins as standard equipment. The '71-'73 Mach 1's also had them. The '69 Mach 1 had a hole in the pin itself in which a push in pin on a wire secured it.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Well, you are not alone Don. There are other 13/14 owners that don’t like the 2020.

I hope you get to experience the 2020 in person. Ford Performance did some amazing things in the last 6 years.
You seem to think I don't like the 2020's, I don't like the 2015 - 2020 body style, or the lack of a glass roof option.
Back on topic.
Maybe the big hole in the hood on the 2020 impacted rigidity, maybe forced Ford to add hood pins to make up for lost bracing. I don't see them being there for cosmetics..

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't see them being there for cosmetics..
I agree they are not on the 2020 for cosmetics Don, but they do look good. The point that is getting missed is the previous years would have benefitted from pins as well... the previous years would have benefitted from many of the improvements that Ford put on the 2020.

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
That is why the cost keeps on going up on cars and why the aftermarket is so lucrative. Look how fast the aftermarket is jumping on the 2020 gt500.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is why the cost keeps on going up on cars and why the aftermarket is so lucrative. Look how fast the aftermarket is jumping on the 2020 gt500.
Valid point Joe.

I have 8 SVT/Ford Performance halo Mustangs. Starting in 1993, the window sticker lists $21,700 to get the top dog Mustang. They have gotten more expensive and better throughout the years. It’s now 4x more $ for the 2020 and it’s really jaw-dropping at how far these cars have come during that period.

I love each one of my cars. They were and still are special cars... better than most others on the road that year. I applaud the group at SVT/FP for continuing to reach higher.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Found this on line & interesting:
" 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500, 2019 Detroit auto show

It also has standard hood pins.
Ford Performance boss Carl Widmann told Motor Authority the hood pins are necessary to make sure the hood is stable at speed.
"If you took the hood pins off that car and ran it, it'll lift," Widmann said.
Ford will not sell the 2020 Shelby GT500 without hood pins. Period. Don't even ask. "

1 - 20 of 20 Posts